LoniusTemp

STBB #601 - Japan, optional extreme-production rule

STBB #601

Thanks for the votes and props to all who entered last battle, had about 20/30 beats in my shortlist and it was an especially good one!

Nm85FQz.jpg

RULES: Use provided sample, outside everything allowed apart from melodic/bass samples (so drums, fx, vocals etc are OK)

(outside melodic/bass samples that come under rule 2 are allowed)

Optional rule 1: Use an extreme/unusual production technique like clipping, downsampling, overcompression, lots of high end/hardly any high end etc. Might produce some interesting results, and would be cool to have a week where no-one has to worry too much about mixing/mastering. Hopefully people will judge this week's entries by vibe alone and entrants will feel free to try anything

Optional rule 2: Use any other Japanese sample of your own choosing along with the provided sample

for a loose definition that's any song released by a japanese artist and/or released in Japan, or that has an obviously Japanese vibe. (You can use your own judgment but obviously doing something like sampling a Madlib track that came out in Japan only defeats the point😄)

Happy beatmaking!!

sample : https://wetransfer.com/downloads/ec20e57d6e634f84f700a6182122dbf020180908135857/4786cf579dc19cfe50437b41b1713cde20180908135857/803be6

The Fine Print:
Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 601“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.

For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time

Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample to WeTransfer

Happy flipping!

• Like 3

congrats lonius

extreme/unusual production techniques and Japanese samples can I just vote for fatvon in advance? :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can we sample Fat Von's recent winning STBB work?..... 😆     😎😎😎

Great rules Lonius! Big fan of Masayoshi Takanaka. Looking forward to digging through my Japanese Jazz-Funk collection for some additional samples!

Peace

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

..Congrats Lo!

fun rules...

Congratulations on the well deserved win Lonius!

This is gonna be fun. Does playing a bass guitar break the rule? 

5 minutes ago, FatVonFree said:

This is gonna be fun. Does playing a bass guitar break the rule? 

nah it's fine, any outside live instruments are allowed, especially face-melting bass!

• Like 2

Awesome. Just gonna play bass. Gonna go dig for some Records probably 45s when I get outta bed lol. Great rules cuzzo!! 

• Like 1

Oh wow I'd say this is the best track i've ever made! ☺️

I've used the provided sample for the main melodic chops and pads, and i've integrated a Japanese 90s rap track, which is super lofi.

So i've went between that super 90s lofi hip hop record sound and the fat spacious lofi hip hop sound of today, so i'd say that met the unusual processing rule. 😎

I've also used a sample from a Japanese 50s movie for the intro and vox chops, and I got a friend to play the amazing live bass, I played rhodes part, and I of course played the drums and layered in some FX, and processed the hell out of it all to pull it all together to the vibe I wanted.

• Like 1

Last Round was nice! Many dope entries! Props to the Winner Lonius!!

So heres my STBB 601 entry

dope rules by the way ;) 

• Like 2

Had fun working with these rules.

Every single sample I used for this track is Japanese, for 100% authenticity!

I used the provided sample by Masayoshi Takanaka as the main part of my track. Props to Lonius for selecting this song!

Additional work:

All drum hits sampled from 70's Japanese Jazz-Funk/Jazz-Fusion songs by Hiroshi Fukumura, Akira Ishikawa & Kunihiko Murai

I sampled the Shamisen from 'In Fiesta' by Hideo Shiraki - Chopped it up and reformed/reconstructed it

I added a Fender Rhodes sample from 'Gentle Wave' by Jiro Inagaki & Soul Media - Gave it some effects etc

Also added a synth sample from 'Smooch' by The Players - Lowered the lows to only leave the highs and added effects

Threw-in a few fun-facts about Japan...

Hope you enjoy

• Like 1

Congratz on the win! Dope rules for this week...here’s mine, couple of slices from the provided sample bass drums flute etc sampled from japanese funk track and vocal shots from learning japanese course. Lot of efx and downsampling 8 bit stylo hope you enjoy, 😊 greetz Gait

• Like 1

Used the sample provided (filtered my chops to bring out the bass) and I used Cibo Matto's track, Mortming, as the second sample. I don't know if it will count against me but Cibo Matto was formed in New York but two of the lead singers, Yuka Honda and Miho Hatori, are from Japan. Oh and I also added some Sean Price in the mix.

yoo congrats lonius 

Dope sample

Ive added some japanese folk vocals

enjoy,

Congrats on the win Lonius, had a spare few hours this afternoon so I made a quick entry with the sample and some drums chopped up on the MPC 2500

Looking forward to listening to the dopeness 😎

Hey All,

I was very excited by the theme for this week. I lived in Japan for 4 years around the turn of the century. It is a country I am deeply in love with. It is hard to explain but my time there was like a dream, not saying it was perfect, but it was something I can't put a finger on, something elusive and something totally different from my life up to that point growing up in the southeastern part of the US. The people were wonderful for the most part but it is a very homogeneous population and I never felt a part of it but that was kind of what I loved about it -being an outsider and being a witness to a very "deep" culture. Like I said before, it is not a perfect place by no means, and many things drove me crazy but I still feel regret about leaving. I can still remember my first night in my adopted home city of Matsumoto and sitting under the cherry blossoms at Matsumoto castle and drinking beer with my coworkers. It was a beautiful experience but like the blossoms themselves it was a temporary experience.The good times don’t last forever but the same can be said about the bad times also. I hope all in line of the hurricane are safe and I wish it didn’t take a disaster to bring us all together. I guess that is what I hate most about Trump-his entire political existence serves to divide us against each other. A country like ours is not homogeneous like Japan in that we have a wide diversity of peoples. That is our greatest strength but also our greatest potential weakness, These are bad times for the US, and I hope those around the world understand this country is so much better than the President we have right now. Before I step down off my soapbox I just wanted to say I am sorry for my previous post. It made someone sad and it makes me sad to know I made someone else sad. Peace, Hugh

• Like 1

hello! this is some kind of multi layered sampled chill.
outside nothing; i've tried to keep it weird. [:

greetings.

12 hours ago, Detritus Tabu said:

Hey All,

I was very excited by the theme for this week. I lived in Japan for 4 years around the turn of the century. It is a country I am deeply in love with. It is hard to explain but my time there was like a dream, not saying it was perfect, but it was something I can't put a finger on, something elusive and something totally different from my life up to that point growing up in the southeastern part of the US. The people were wonderful for the most part but it is a very homogeneous population and I never felt a part of it but that was kind of what I loved about it -being an outsider and being a witness to a very "deep" culture. Like I said before, it is not a perfect place by no means, and many things drove me crazy but I still feel regret about leaving. I can still remember my first night in my adopted home city of Matsumoto and sitting under the cherry blossoms at Matsumoto castle and drinking beer with my coworkers. It was a beautiful experience but like the blossoms themselves it was a temporary experience.The good times don’t last forever but the same can be said about the bad times also. I hope all in line of the hurricane are safe and I wish it didn’t take a disaster to bring us all together. I guess that is what I hate most about Trump-his entire political existence serves to divide us against each other. A country like ours is not homogeneous like Japan in that we have a wide diversity of peoples. That is our greatest strength but also our greatest potential weakness, These are bad times for the US, and I hope those around the world understand this country is so much better than the President we have right now. Before I step down off my soapbox I just wanted to say I am sorry for my previous post. It made someone sad and it makes me sad to know I made someone else sad. Peace, Hugh

nicely spoken Hugh..

I'm sure someone was just agreeing with you that more could've been done with the silence rule..  I know I did

annoying btw that you can't tell who liked peoples posts anymore.. used to say so on the previous forum

wanna leave you guys with this..
not in the bb this week

pz Joa

joa_fb.png

• Like 3

mostly used Clipping i think yall hear where

Congrats to Sensei Lonius, always giving that real good vibe !!!

I used the sample for the main melody and for the "synth"  but also Kenso for the "trompet" at the end and Pegmo for the "voices" and a few traditional instrument

https://soundcloud.com/banizzz/avec-de-jeunes-feuilles-jaimerais-essuyer-vos-gouttes-de-larme-602