STBB #598

Props to FatVonFree on his #597 win, and he has asked me to choose the samples and some challenging rules for #598! (Hope these rules are OK FVF.  I know you may have wanted even more challenging, but I didn't want to go too crazy to the point it makes it too restrictive and put people off! 😄)

tumblr_o69bjjv_LUo1qz9v0to8_1280.jpg

• Outside drums and bass allowed, but no other external musical parts/samples (even if you played them yourself!), so the samples provided must form the basis of your non-bass musical parts.
  • Use at least four chops from each of all three samples.
  • External FX/textures/vocal shots allowed.
  • No acapellas.
  • 3min time limit.
  • One entry per person.

The samples

The Fine Print:
Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 598“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.

For easy browsing sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
Votes must be posted by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time.

Winner: post new samples, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload to WeTransfer.

Happy flipping!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Wig Master said:

pretty unique rule--'at least four chops'--very specific. don't remember ever having a rule like that. think von will be pleased

Ah right yeah. 😁  With Von's request for challenging rules, I wanted to push us all to work out how to combine all three sample sources in a hopefully more substantial way than many of us may usually.

Can't wait to hear everyone's beats. 😎

Edit: I see you were trying to post an image above, but it's not showing for me.  Just says 61832819.jpg

Edited by B-Jam vs Enos
I see your image now, nice! :)
  • Thanks 1

rules made me  initially go: ahw, fudgedammit!..   so good challenging rule!

..took a while for wigs pic to show up but all of a sudden it did(?)

yo...can we kick this dude the eff outta here....holy shit this is wild lol!!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, B-Jam vs Enos said:

Edit: I see you were trying to post an image above, but it's not showing for me.  Just says 61832819.jpg

haha my bad. just edited it with the gif properly enbedded. garth brooks 'I REALLY like that' meme. if you don't know the Facebook video its from check it out its hilarious:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Wig Master said:

haha my bad. just edited it with the gif properly enbedded. garth brooks 'I REALLY like that' meme. if you don't know the Facebook video its from check it out its hilarious:

Sorry, no idea who that is.  A US celebrity i'm guessing?

Hey, what's up guys? I'm having some trouble with the STBB598 files. I downloaded the STBB598 files like 3 or 4 times, but it keeps saying "Could not extract the file STBB 598 / Susumu Yokota - Gekkoh.wav: The archive file is incomplete. Once I click on Continue so it can finish the extraction, there are 3 files included in the folder:

Dale Jacobs - Almost Home

John Martyn - Small Hours

Susumu Yokota - Gekkoh

Am I missing any files?

3 minutes ago, D-Skillz said:

Hey, what's up guys? I'm having some trouble with the STBB598 files. I downloaded the STBB598 files like 3 or 4 times, but it keeps saying "Could not extract the file STBB 598 / Susumu Yokota - Gekkoh.wav: The archive file is incomplete. Once I click on Continue so it can finish the extraction, there are 3 files included in the folder:

Dale Jacobs - Almost Home

John Martyn - Small Hours

Susumu Yokota - Gekkoh

Am I missing any files?

It's correct it's those 3 wav's so despite the incomplete message it sounds like you have them all.

I've just tested the link and didn't get the message you are getting, but here's a mirror anyway: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-dm8-wfEZr1cOjvSHd-47Z6Pt5mHW68v

Sound good! Thank you very much for your help B-Jam vs Enos!

1 hour ago, B-Jam vs Enos said:

Sorry, no idea who that is.  A US celebrity i'm guessing?

country singer in the early 90s he was one of the biggest music acts in the world. hits were 'friends in low places' & 'the thunder rolls'. he's sold more albums than Elvis and only the Beatles have more total album sales. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Wig Master said:

country singer in the early 90s he was one of the biggest music acts in the world. hits were 'friends in low places' & 'the thunder rolls'. he's sold more albums than Elvis and only the Beatles have more total album sales. 

Ah right, ta.  The only country singer I know by name is Dolly Parton. ☺️

I so rarely hear pop music of any genre i'm sure I don't know half the biggest selling artists from the last 50 years, and in the UK where i'm from I don't think i've ever heard country music being played anywhere.  I guess it's a pretty central US thing?

Speaking of the Beatles, i'm slightly embarrassed to admit I couldn't actually name one of their tracks.  Just not an act i've ever thought to listen to for some reason.  If there's one thing i'm never short of, it's amazing music to listen to, esp these days with the likes of Spotify, and tbh I know from experience that if something has sold enough to be 'pop', it's probably not going to be my thing so I happily stay immersed in the vast realms of 'underground' music, and I still always feel like i'm just scratching the surface of the mine full of rare gems it holds. 😎

Anyway, I better get cracking with my 598 track!

43 minutes ago, B-Jam vs Enos said:

I guess it's a pretty central US thing?

Speaking of the Beatles,

more of a southern US thing but in the early 90s people in in the northeast were listening too. 

check out the white album its got heat especially stuff like 'cry baby cry'. bands have based their entire careers off songs from that album.

cuzzo.....i got one part thats boring that i gotta figure something out for....but mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn this other part .  

DC .gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

will be back in a bit to explain the chops.  its almost 3pm.  lol been workin on this since 8am.  my face hurts and i need food and beer cuzzo

ALRIGHT HERE GOES::: INTRO has main chop.SUSUMU.  total of about 8 or more chops being triggered.  i played bass...(bass run through my space echo for that oscillating part).  Once the drums kick in its the same sample but other chops.  .i have 3 sections of that going throughout the entire track. , even more chops....  i actually played drums on it.  all the percussion is me also.   next SAMPLE kicks in at:: 53 seconds.  its the dale jacobs sample.  RIGHT EAR  its 5 pieces/chops i triggered together to make a loop.. i ran that into a wah pedal into a delay into a 20 watt swamp works tube amp. wah pedal stayed stationary i just wanted it to roll off some of the highs.... the last sample is the john martyn. comes in at 1:18 RIGHT EAR i triggered 7 chops (guitar and horns in there. HAD TO TUNE THEM AND MAKE THEM COHESIVE.  ran them into an earthquaker devices afterneath out into one of my trash amps i use just to blow up shit  and get weird textures.  captured that back into ableton, then layered it in.  fun shit took me about 6 1/2 hours to do today. lookin fwd to more aggravation lol.  shit racked my brain today.  will put a link up of a vid showing my sample chops.  gimme a second.  

VIDEO SHOWING JUST AN EARLY STAGE OF THE CHOPS CUZZO    loud noise in background is 4 amplifiers running lol    https://youtu.be/ZTWOGl-cxqo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well that turned out well! ☺️ You know I was sooo close to not entering this week as for the first few hours I just couldn't get the three samples to jam for me.  But I persevered and i'm really happy with what I achieved at the end of the day. 😎

Congratz on the win! Dope rules nice samples and a lot of choppin/slicin up the samples with a lot of layerin them 😊, here’s my entry only outside kick clap and vocal sample, really enjoyed makin this 👍

NIIIICE RULES! so for a short explaining: 1 sample was used for more patterns and I used more than 4 chops, 1 sample was used with 4 chops for that organ in the end and 1 sample was used for a built-up. I used my own drums and 1 vocal chop. Waiting for feedback and I really had fun!

Heres my Entry for this week

Made something a bit softer than my last two entries. I got a lot out of the lead parts from Small Hours and used a few chops of the same section of Gekkoh for rhythm and movement then padded out the low end with Almost Home. I found it hardest to fit in Almost Hard but some filtering, FX, LFO and pitching smoothed it out used my own drums, bass and a little break work. Once again had fun putting this one together...havent listened to anyone elses yet will pass through shortly...pzzzzzzzz

Enjoy I used all parts and I love the idea of multi-samples production so dope congrats fam. Peace to all listen when you ready for war and love.

https://soundcloud.com/therealbuttaslick/598-hip-hop-lives