LoniusTemp

STBB #590 - Infinite Chords (a choose your own chords adventure)

STBB #590

Infinite Chords

abstract_piano_frank_tschakert.jpg

Thanks for the votes!! Everyone was on their A game last week

The wavs are about 3 minutes of different chords and there's a MIDI file as well

Kind of a chord library that you could probably make new beats from forever

The chords last for two bars each (file is 90bpm)

The sound is a dry keyboard patch to allow room for effects so it might be a little boring sounding by itself..you can also use the MIDI file with any other sound

There's also a how-to for easily playing/creating jazzy sounding chords like the ones in the sample even if you don't play keys (I'll make a second post about that to save room here)

Outside everything allowed as long as you use one or more chords in some way

HAPPY BEATMAKING!

Samples: https://we.tl/0hvoxISmY8

The Fine Print:
Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 590“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.
For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection
EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time
Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample to WeTransfer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is what's going on in the howto..

With your left hand, pick any note (for example C), count seven notes up (G) and play both notes together (C and G)

With your right hand pick any other note (for example A)and do the same thing (A and E)

Then play both the left/right hands together (CGAE) and you'll get a nice (or weird) chord depending on whichever notes you start with.. CGAE is the same chord as the first one in the wav files, all the chords in the wav file are different versions of this

You can do the same thing with any other two notes to get all kinds of chords like the ones in the wav.. You can also do the same but going up 5 notes, or 3 notes which is in the howto wav as well

The cool thing about this is if you don't play keys you can sample yourself playing chords like this, make the chords into chops and create a song without having to jump between chords quickly

Don't know how well I explained that, but it would be dope to hear the end result if anyone tries this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Congrats on the win Lonius! 

So the only rule is to use chords? 

Just asking cause i thought chords has to be from the Files. Now with that howto it sound that i can skip the files completly and play some chord progression on my own. 

Anyhow... nice to see something completly different this week.

1 hour ago, theGuen said:

Congrats on the win Lonius! 

So the only rule is to use chords? 

Just asking cause i thought chords has to be from the Files. Now with that howto it sound that i can skip the files completly and play some chord progression on my own. 

Anyhow... nice to see something completly different this week.

Yeah, you can use other played/programmed chords (not sampled) in place of the wav/midi and that would count for the using chords rule

Using sampled chords is also allowed, it just doesn't fulfill the chord rule by itself (i.e. a persons own chords, the wav or the MIDI)

Second beat of the day made.  I'm loving this new found level of productivity i've experienced since I started on here a few weeks ago.  The rules really help me focus rather than having a thousand ideas fighting to get out. 😄

PS Congrats on the win Lonius.  Ace track. 😎

Hey guys.  This will be my first time entering in the beat battle.  Good luck to everyone!

Yow Lonius, congrats on the W. 

So basically we can do anything as long as we use chords on everything. We don't even really have to use the rhodes samples just, chords on whatever we do (except for the drums I guess, although that sounds like worth a try now)?

Congrats for the win man, enjoyed the rules this week

Congrats! Liking the rules as made me want to minimze the chords feels in this one!

Been having some problems with my Maschine so I wasn't able to get everything in that I was thinking about for the track.  Here's what I came up with though.  Hope you enjoy...

Congrats on that win last week Lonius. Here's my flip this week. Played with a few chord variations throughout the track. 

what sup guys,congrats Lonius

heres my entry

only used the provided Sample to "shape" the tunes chord progression... thats why they feel a bit boring in parts, because all the chords _lay_ down (? dunno how to say in english..)

Had made those two as one first (with a completely different arrangement) , but felt like they're when seperated... hope you enjoy!

... busy week - took way too much time off studying ( = to make these 2 tracks)...

External: Bass / Minilogue / Piano / Drums

Sup guys,

Been not so consistent for a few weeks, think I set the bar too high for myself, hence: never satisfying half finished tracks never made it online. 

Cool challenge this time. Here's my best Terrance Martin impression (without the vocoder, talk box yes, but far from THAT good). I found this Chord Trigger in Logic (gives you a shitload of different kind of chords as you press one key) and played some matching chords over it. The bass is pretty straightforward and one octave up: chord and not too complicated. As said theres some talk box in there and some funky groove. 

Love to make stuff like this on the side when I'm not sampling. First time using the chord trigger tho'. Usually make beats in Maschine, finish/mix them in Logic, now everything was set up in Logic. 

Enjoy!

cool rule Lo!..

first time ever I made a track without using samples.

last weeks drums.

curious what ya'll cooked up!

pz Joa

No Samples except the acapella. Piano is sequenced, bass and guitar recorded. Tried to use as i would in a sample flip. had much fun doin this, the aca was nightmare to match... hope i didn't messed it up to much...