'' n'

Duophonic

sample: https://we.tl/gtnAWMOCGB

make a beat

with a very Clean and  very Dusty/Dirty part

also

reminiscent of Breakmaster Cylinder's Monophonic rule:

only two sounds audible at any given time

( exemption: layered crackle or vocals may be the third )

sample counts as one layer no matter how many sounds occur in it simultaniously

have fun!

pz Joa and Banizzz!

The Fine Print:

Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 586“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.

For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection

EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time

Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: http://www.zippyshare.com

Awesome!!!

Can you give an example on the two sounds audible at any give time (does that mean no hi-hats, snare and kick in one go?)

Thanks!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BarryStudebaker said:

Awesome!!!

Can you give an example on the two sounds audible at any give time (does that mean no hi-hats, snare and kick in one go?)

Thanks!

glad you dig.. Banizzz's sample choice.. 'n I tried to come up with challenging original rules..

yea, for instance: when the sample/chops are playing"only a kick hit.. or only a snare hit.. or own played bassline or synth or outside sample even
playing  at the same time  etc. 
- sample and synth
- bassline and synth

-synth and beat ( beat also only one  audible hit at a time ..so you can layer two or three kicks )

if you wanted to play a kick and a hat at the same time that'd be your two sounds

while I'm writing this I'm thinking:  the outside sample may also contain simultanious sounds.. that sample will only count as 1 layer also

so you can get creative with it..
i'm tryna not name every possibillity  here

47 minutes ago, JoaGymshoe said:

while I'm writing this I'm thinking:  the outside sample may also contain simultanious sounds.. that sample will only count as 1 layer also

so you can get creative with it..
i'm tryna not nme every possibillity  here

This just saved my day! 🙂

• Like 1

Had to handle business but im back in the cut. shout out to everyone who flipped my 583 sample I'm gonna be dropping feedback on tracks over the weekend.

As for this 586 I'm gonna boom bap the shit out of this sample son!!!!

giphy.gif

@JoaGymshoe Congrats. props on jacking that banizzz beat shit was fire. What about cutz/scratches, acapellas, outside instruments all that stuff? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jay Mykal said:

thanks man, yea Bnzzz mighta very well won the beat battle with his instrumental version too!..  quite some mixing involved still

outside instruments = 1 sound/source so definitely counts as 1 of 2 allowed layers

acapella = vocal, so the exemption applies.. third layer, yes

cuts/scratches = of vocals? ;)  ^^

oh, I know you'll kill this this shit Jay

Dope rules!

One loop for each, made use of the background percussion for hats, and added kick/snare patterns over the top so no outside anything

The kicks/snares are from the sample, technically they don't occur 'at the same time' - not sure if that breaks the rules, will edit to non-entry if so and serve as a warning to others😄

I also downsampled the whole first track to add extra roughness

Edited by LoniusTemp
description/correction
  • Like 1

Thought I'd add - If you use vocal cut on the sample it gives you some really cool piano parts by themselves where there would have otherwise been loud vocals, a nice gritty feel, and does something weird to the drums at the beginning that gives them a nice smack. I usually try this on every sample posted here with varied results, sometimes it messes things up too much but other times you get cool otherwordly stuff happening

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LoniusTemp said:
Dope rules!

One loop for each, made use of the background percussion for hats, and added kick/snare patterns over the top so no outside anything

The kicks/snares are from the sample, technically they don't occur 'at the same time' - not sure if that breaks the rules, will edit to non-entry if so and serve as a warning to others😄

I also downsampled the whole first track to add extra roughness

eyy brother..that's what I'm talking about.. applaude the creativity..
I'm having a beer and watching the champions league final
can't wrap my head around it at the mo'  ;)

..and on to Underworld at Biggest Weekend Festival in Belfast on the Beebs ;)

The Breeders.. and Björk ( 2 x nostalgia ) anyone?   ."Later on Jules Holland"...

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:34 AM, DaDamnDetail said:

I feel like I am up to the challenge.

Da Damn Detail 

I "Devil Double Dare Ya! "

• Haha 1

First of all, great sample choice guys! This was a really fun jam. I had two beats initially for the crisp and dusty part but over time I just merged it.
I wanted to make the drums sound really rough over a clean sample, chooped it heavily and made use of a drum roll part in the song.

Also I used sidechaining on the kick full-on to kill the percussion to assure only 2 layers are playing at the same time.

Have a nice sunday everyone 😎

congrats!

so what about building single drum hits by stacking samples or record single shots like a cajon, hit by a jinglestick? 

its basicly the same as a snare with wire but one might argue its polyphonic and be right as well...

anyhow dope sample!

• Like 1

thanks man..

19 minutes ago, Kowalzki said:

congrats!

so what about building single drum hits by stacking samples or record single shots like a cajon, hit by a jinglestick? 

its basicly the same as a snare with wire but one might argue its polyphonic and be right as well...

anyhow dope sample!

23 hours ago, JoaGymshoe said:

( beat also only one  audible hit at a time ..so you can layer two or three kicks )

yea, layer with  cajon or s'thing  too.. as long as  registers as one sound... 
so no distinct two different sounds in one..  coz like i said that will count as two layers

that's the idea..  some stuff wil be very hard to check but I'm not gonna scrutinize that shit :)

break a leg!

• Thanks 1

No more than 2 sounds playing at once (minus crackle)

Here's my entry.  Tried to make the main part dusty and the breakdown clean...hope you enjoy.

Peace.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:58 PM, LoniusTemp said:

If you use vocal cut on the sample it gives you some really cool piano parts

thx 4 sharing the knowledge - but whats "vocal cut?"
peace

the intro got some vinyl sim on it that makes it sound off. the rest is the clean part.

Only used a vocal, the rest is from the sample.

2 hours ago, Per.du said:

peace

center cancellation

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Per.du said:

peace

2 minutes ago, Kowalzki said:

center cancellation

yeah, had to think for a second too what he meant.. cutting out mainly around the 1,6 khz region with eq  was my guess

that what you meant by 'center cancellation Kow?..   or is that something different again?

2 hours ago, JoaGymshoe said:

yeah, had to think for a second too what he meant.. cutting out mainly around the 1,6 khz region with eq  was my guess

that what you meant by 'center cancellation Kow?..   or is that something different again?

no, i mean cuttin out the center by phase cancellation.

if you take a stereo track and duplicate it, switch phase and chanel (L to R and R to L) of the copied track, you should be able to sweep the panorama with the pan pot of track 2.

apply a filter to (track 2) limit the phase cancellation to a certain spectrum which is desired to be cut out.

you can also just flip the phase of a track and mono it to cancel the center on the mix bus or use dedicated stereo imageing tools.

the harder a mix is panned the better it works.

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2018 at 5:56 PM, Kowalzki said:

center cancellation 

uh that you mean! thx

Yoo fellas ,my maschine gave it up after 5 years. I got a mikro now and this my first bea on it.still need to figure the system out. I had a mk1 before this

https://soundcloud.com/goodfnella/stbb586mikrodose1

yoww, thanks for the congratulations!

almost didn't get around to making something this week..  hot weather

threw this together last ditch.

1 layer sample and 1 layer drums only..  + vocs

clean intro, hooks and outro..  the rest is derrrrrty!

Had quite some troubles with the two audible sounds rule. Fun though! Took everything from the sample but kick&snare (just couldn't extract anything decent from the sample), and obviously the vocal skits. Hope you like it.