JJ

Attn: STMB updates

On 5/10/2018 at 2:29 AM, JJ said:

Correct, I'm talking about the board software, maintenance, hosting, etc.  You guys might remember 2-3 week outage around new years, for example.  

Jeff, is there a possibility for some of us (me included) that we could pay off the hosting expenses for the STMB from this point on so we could keep this train running?

We would manage, maintain and do everything necessary in that regard, and the forum wouldn't have to be associated with StonesThrow if that would be an issue, but rename it to "Stones Throw Community Forum" or something else?

I don't want this to look like the issue is getting overblown, but if you only knew the number of phenomenal producers this community has yielded through the years you would understand the significance of this thread and most importantly this evergoing beat battle, which is why the people here are concerned about keeping it going forward.

• Like 4

http://stmbforever.com

Set this up tonight, hosting is paid for 3 years. I am going to put a lot of work into making it look good and giving us the functionality we need. I have never been part of the Beat Battle crowd but really want to keep supporting you guys any way I can. I would love to have someone help me mod that section of the board, if you're interested can you e-mail me at waxramble at gmail

Very sad to see this place shut down officially, but I want to do anything I can to try keeping this community together. This is like the only outlet I have for talking about music and it's been a massive resource for me over the years to keep up with music and learn about things I've missed out on, etc etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

On 5/9/2018 at 1:36 AM, JoaGymshoe said:

we can make a new website/forum.

would be good to have that exact date for when this one shuts down  J.J,

in order to reach out to people in time and give notice here to direct them to the new spot.

I had this idea to collect all stbb samples from the last decade and put'em into one big bank.

maybe that can be included into the new page

Trying to PM ya but box might be full. Would be awesome to have your help if you were interested in getting this rolling on the site I put up.

• Like 1

damn @GC90 that's a legendary move, bless up

i may not have been as active in the last few months during this transition across the world but it's sad to see such a creative ship sinking

i can help around but i wouldn't want to take on a role i am not in a position to guarantee proper stewardship

one love to everyone that supported the sounds throughout the years, here's to many more

:::edit::: that's a great URL too

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GC90 said:

Trying to PM ya but box might be full. Would be awesome to have your help if you were interested in getting this rolling on the site I put up.

word..  thanks for setting it up.. looks good.. I'm in.
we  were discussing a similar thing.. one of my reasons for selecting some of them was that it had several colors and fonts etc. to  choose from.
color me sentimental..  but we really like the tradition of voting in style. ;)
if not.. well I guess we'll come up with ways..

we were thinking Stolen Throne Beat Battles..  ..implementing that on the STBBCollection page.. coz of whatever right infringement
and Stones Throw giving us the boot 
😛

STMB forever can be anything abbreviated though right?

Uh......

www.mpc-forums.com

--beat battle section. That is still where I go and where I started back in 2009. Battles are a little low these days, but I think that it's a good place to go.

3 minutes ago, KappNeffect said:

Uh...... www.mpc-forums.com --beat battle section. That is still where I go and where I started back in 2009.  

yeah, but: that would basically mean splitting up the community... there are a ton of beat battles online ... but none with such a nice community as we have/had it here..

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GC90 said:

http://stmbforever.com

Set this up tonight, hosting is paid for 3 years. I am going to put a lot of work into making it look good and giving us the functionality we need. I have never been part of the Beat Battle crowd but really want to keep supporting you guys any way I can. I would love to have someone help me mod that section of the board, if you're interested can you e-mail me at waxramble at gmail

Very sad to see this place shut down officially, but I want to do anything I can to try keeping this community together. This is like the only outlet I have for talking about music and it's been a massive resource for me over the years to keep up with music and learn about things I've missed out on, etc etc.

haha.. some joker hijacked the name 'JoaGymshoe' ...says: already in use..  can we kick the sucker off CG?

as for the name..well.. what do others think?

STMB i'm fine with..  but:  " unofficial Stones Throw...   "

I don't know man..  they don't want us'nymore so....

6 hours ago, MFakka said:

Jeff, is there a possibility for some of us (me included) that we could pay off the hosting expenses for the STMB from this point on so we could keep this train running?

We would manage, maintain and do everything necessary in that regard, and the forum wouldn't have to be associated with StonesThrow if that would be an issue, but rename it to "Stones Throw Community Forum" or something else?

I don't want this to look like the issue is getting overblown, but if you only knew the number of phenomenal producers this community has yielded through the years you would understand the significance of this thread and most importantly this evergoing beat battle, which is why the people here are concerned about keeping it going forward.

There's a lot of details to consider here.  There are two costs: board software license, and host, and neither are a major concern here - it's primarily the technical management of the board which is a burden.  Several of the problems of the past have already been solved: there's no longer a custom skin to worry about, and the board is on it's own host, separate from the rest of stonesthrow.com.  

The easiest way I could see things happening this way, is by having one person handle the software account, and software updates, with ST still paying for the board. Administering the host is a trickier subject.  But who would that person be? It couldn't be a group thing.  And would it even work, given the "community-operated" nature of STBB's? 

55 minutes ago, JoaGymshoe said:

haha.. some joker hijacked the name 'JoaGymshoe' ...says: already in use..  can we kick the sucker off CG?

as for the name..well.. what do others think?

STMB i'm fine with..  but:  " unofficial Stones Throw...   "

I don't know man..  they don't want us'nymore so....

I e-mailed you, think it may have been a glitch or something, we have no suckers yet (I think!!) :)

I've thought about the Stones Throw aspect, I've kept it for now just in case things get shut off and people need to find us some way. I don't think that will be there forever though!

1 hour ago, JJ said:

The easiest way I could see things happening this way, is by having one person handle the software account, and software updates, with ST still paying for the board. Administering the host is a trickier subject.  But who would that person be? It couldn't be a group thing.  And would it even work, given the "community-operated" nature of STBB's? 

I have no idea what administering the host means. I've googled it and still nope. 

I think the alternate board GC90 has put up looks like a great solution.  

However, If we could keep the original board that would be nice, better even. Providing it's not too much trouble. 

Would kind of suck if GC has already payed out and is then stuck with an empty forum though. 

Considering the work he's already put in and his obvious long serving commitment to this board I'd vote for him to be the administered host if we keep it.

If not then it's STMB forever migration time for me, and hopefully the rest of ya'll.

Whatever happens here It's looking good for this community. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ said:

There's a lot of details to consider here.  There are two costs: board software license, and host, and neither are a major concern here - it's primarily the technical management of the board which is a burden.  Several of the problems of the past have already been solved: there's no longer a custom skin to worry about, and the board is on it's own host, separate from the rest of stonesthrow.com.  

1 hour ago, GC90 said:

I e-mailed you, think it may have been a glitch or something, we have no suckers yet (I think!!) :)

I've thought about the Stones Throw aspect, I've kept it for now just in case things get shut off and people need to find us some way. I don't think that will be there forever though!

yow CG90..  would you be up for that job?.. 
you are a well respected longstanding member and impartial to the battles..
and you seem to know a thing or two about hosting etc.

if we can't find anyone with the proper knowledge and desire to do it I don't mind moving on.
we'll advertise here for as long as we can.. and I'm already spreading word of what's going on as much as I can

switch on the 4th of July..Independance .. ;)

oh, and thanks for kicking that wannabee me off'f there

3 minutes ago, JoaGymshoe said:

Amazing. Battle theme right there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJ said:

If I had the required knowledge of web administration I would gladly put myself at disposal for the job.

@GC90

GC90 Would you consider yourself capable of taking this on?

1 hour ago, Soul-Jutsu said:

I have no idea what administering the host means. I've googled it and still nope. 

I think the alternate board GC90 has put up looks like a great solution.  

However, If we could keep the original board that would be nice, better even. Providing it's not too much trouble. 

Would kind of suck if GC has already payed out and is then stuck with an empty forum though. 

Considering the work he's already put in and his obvious long serving commitment to this board I'd vote for him to be the administered host if we keep it.

If not then it's STMB forever migration time for me, and hopefully the rest of ya'll.

Whatever happens here It's looking good for this community. 

I agree that if we can keep the original board up, this would be the ideal situation. That said, this is the second time now recently there's been issues or consideration of taking the board offline. I will keep stmbforever as a backup/contingency plan should things go down. Don't worry about me paying or investing time on that board if we stay here, for me this is a fun project and the expense is not as crazy as one would think etc.

1 hour ago, JoaGymshoe said:

yow CG90..  would you be up for that job?.. 
you are a well respected longstanding member and impartial to the battles..
and you seem to know a thing or two about hosting etc.

if we can't find anyone with the proper knowledge and desire to do it I don't mind moving on.
we'll advertise here for as long as we can.. and I'm already spreading word of what's going on as much as I can

oh, and thanks for kicking that wannabee me off'f there

I appreciate the kind words and consideration ha. I'm guessing they don't want to hand the keys over to me for an official board and I have to say I'm not the most technical guy in the world who could manage something in an official sense. These boards have been up for 10+ years (I think?) and there's likely a ton of technical baggage associated to maintaining these forums on the back end. I'm thinking some of this may be what is leading to the consideration of closing the board, if there's a lot of upkeep on the back end etc. I would be interested in talking to JJ more if this is something he would consider, I will try reaching out to him when I get off work tonight.

Ultimately, I'm thinking if they did want to keep things official and reduce a lot of the weight they could 'nuke' the current board and restart. I know that would totally suck, but if it meant we could keep a board official to ST, maybe that would be an option to consider?

20 minutes ago, MFakka said:

If I had the required knowledge of web administration I would gladly put myself at disposal for the job.

@GC90

GC90 Would you consider yourself capable of taking this on?

I am very curious about how much work would be needed on the back end, I appreciate folks thinking of having me taking this on! Like I said above, not the most technical dude ever but could possibly take a stab at doing this. Will need to talk with JJ and see what's up anyway.

Will check back in later tonight when I'm done with work! I plan on doing some upgrades to the visual look of the forever board so please know it won't always look so generic haha

Thanks guys :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GC90 said:

Ultimately, I'm thinking if they did want to keep things official and reduce a lot of the weight they could 'nuke' the current board and restart. I know that would totally suck, but if it meant we could keep a board official to ST, maybe that would be an option to consider?

interesting concept..  

true stuff you wrote btw..

thank you! bro

damn, this is very sad to hear.

music is a universal art form that so many people, every single day, listen to and get influenced by. music has the power to heal, to inspire great change, or just wyle out to. this particular board and its beat battles are absolutely a part of hiphop culture.

yes, there are other message boards with beat battles (sp beat battles, mpc beat battles, etc) but you can go and ask those people involved with those battles and they will Definitely know about the stonesthrow beat battles and the weight they have on the battle scene. these beat battles have breed some of the best producers ive ever heard. hands down, some of the most gifted producers i know are from these message boards. these are people that live and breath beat machines, and have a very real love for the craft.

to see this place go away would be like the Comedy Store in LA closing its doors. 

or Amoeba Records closing all its stores.

or like, a record label that started in 1996, that garnered some of The most respect from DMC battle DJs and hiphop heads, to close off a well established/respected avenue for up-and-coming producers from around the world to train and share the love of hiphop.

to be honest, a good chunk of the clout for stonesthrow records Specifically comes from these beat battles. i dont mean that to be disrespectful, it may just be my opinion, but i definitely feel like alot of stonesthrow's credibility would be lost without the battles. this place is like the "last hope" for real hiphop to flourish. like a hidden garden of beat makers that have nurtured spectacular creations for the community to enjoy. if i were running stonesthrow records, i would never close these forums for that exact reason.

it looks like JJ has said that he would be willing to hand over the keys to a new website admin as a possibility, and i think that would be a great idea. being a website admin isnt nearly as difficult as you would imagine, if you have the spare time to do it, and GC90 has made it clear that he would be willing to do that, if it meant these boards could survive. and i agree with that.

i am Truly grateful for the time i got to share with all of you, am very thankful for stonesthrow for allowing all of us to do this for so long, and it will 100% feel like losing a family member when/if this place goes away. i dont get to participate in the battles nearly as much as i used to, but it always surprises me to hear the talent from these boards

dilla.gif

• Like 5

Ah. I gotcha. 

9 hours ago, Per.du said:

yeah, but: that would basically mean splitting up the community... there are a ton of beat battles online ... but none with such a nice community as we have/had it here..

i have been anticipating this news since whats his name did that stupid thing.  i'll pour one out for this board.  i spent a ton of time on this board when i was very impressionable and young and eager.  i will always remember it, probably think about it when i'm an old ass man.  too bad ST fell tf off.  peace

Sent a message to JJ to chat about some of this stuff. For now I plan on spending some time this weekend updating the stmbforever site and trying to make it look less generic ha.

Thanks to all that joined :) 

• Thanks 3

Sweet Jesus this is gonna be depressing.  but shouts to GC90 for setting up the other site...le sigh

Finished some big updates to the site tonight, I'm actually pretty stoked with what it's looking like so far! Can even get STBB radio on the front page of forum :) 

JoaGymshoe and Soul-Jutsu I've assigned roles as STBB Mods, I gotta set up the permissions tomorrow so we can get that set up right.

Let me know what you think of it so far! - http://stmbforever.com/ 

(If the site goes down for a short period of time, I guess this is because the domain is so new, still processing some stuff. Talked to Host Gator, should be all good in next day or so)

• Like 2

On 5/10/2018 at 12:40 AM, Soul-Jutsu said:

Thanks for having us.  

It's sad to think that the board will no longer be here. I wish I'd found it sooner, and I'll really miss the place, the characters and the inspiration. I made some of my best stuff here, almost musical some weeks.     

I think there are other places to battle, but this is for sure the best and only place with such a great vibe (if such a thing is possible on a message board) and true community feeling.  

I hope that we can salvage it somehow and perhaps move it somewhere else.  Not sure it will be the same if we do but it's worth a shot.

With regard to the burden that JJ mentioned...  I could be wrong, but I don't think that he was talking about the members, more so the associated upkeep.  He also said that he doesn't have a close date yet, so when he does I'm sure they will let us know. 

If anyone has the knowledge, skill, patience, time, and resources to take us to the next phase, then speak now or forever hold your peace. 

In the meanwhile I'm gonna join Ogi on the sad beat tip. 

By god, I'm a (web) dev in real life with a lot of free time on my hands and I'm getting a lot of ideas. Old school forum posts like here we should have, but also we can do a lot of work on the counting of the votes (it should be automated, and yes it should be possible for mods / hosts to disqualify and such). I think I could do it, you know, together with all of you, make the best replacement of this forum for STBB we can think of.

[edit] lol I replied on the first page and you guys are already taking care of it. If you guys need someone to build new features, wrangle data in the format of this forum into the format of the new (so that we can read back old posts and rules and such), get the new place on https, you know all that kind of stuff hit me up @GC90

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, CASCASSETTE said:

By god, I'm a (web) dev in real life with a lot of free time on my hands and I'm getting a lot of ideas. Old school forum posts like here we should have, but also we can do a lot of work on the counting of the votes (it should be automated, and yes it should be possible for mods / hosts to disqualify and such). I think I could do it, you know, together with all of you, make the best replacement of this forum for STBB we can think of.

[edit] lol I replied on the first page and you guys are already taking care of it. If you guys need someone to build new features, wrangle data in the format of this forum into the format of the new (so that we can read back old posts and rules and such), get the new place on https, you know all that kind of stuff hit me up @GC90

Haha I'm happy that there are so many of us that are ready to keep the community alive! With your experience, I think you would be the obvious option to help out if JJ was willing to let us try keeping this official board up and make tech improvements etc etc. With your expertise I would nominate you rather than myself to keep the official boards up

If we do still have to move on, it would be awesome to have your help and ideas for how we can make the site even better. I've been learning as I go here with a bit more limited experience running websites. For instance I don't have experience getting stuff to https, I've thought about how that would be great to have and if you could help that'd be awesome! When you get the chance you should join the new board too :) 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 5:49 PM, JJ said:

Hey folks, head's up: 2018 is the last year for STMB.  We've kept the board running for a while, mostly to allow the Beat Battles to keep running, but it's gotten to be a burden to host & maintain. I don't have a close date set yet, but I can't imagine it lasting through summer. 

I'd recommend Reddit for general b.s.ing, but I know that's not a great solution for the Beat Battles.  

It has been a great ride, we all should tip our collective hats for the fun and wisdom taken from this hub of great hip-hop minds and musicians. Peace to all!

peace to jank for everything. I've been here since at least '06 probably earlier. maybe the oldest active battler (started before #20). peace to the unknown producers that came through here and messed my head up: bill from the uk, sugoisounds, constrobuz, fat von. been a crazy decade+. copped the rasco cassette in '98. 20 years ago

Since it looks like this'll be my last chance, can I just say...

Shoutout to Jeff Jank for his work on Donuts. One of my favorite albums of all time. Spent countless hours cruising to it.

Peace

you guys have read the messages above and saw that we are doing everything we can to keep this thing going right?

On 5/12/2018 at 9:42 PM, buttaslick said:

It has been a great ride, we all should tip our collective hats for the fun and wisdom taken from this hub of great hip-hop minds and musicians. Peace to all!

10 hours ago, The Wig Master said:

peace to jank for everything. I've been here since at least '06 probably earlier. maybe the oldest active battler (started before #20). peace to the unknown producers that came through here and messed my head up: bill from the uk, sugoisounds, constrobuz, fat von. been a crazy decade+. copped the rasco cassette in '98. 20 years ago

5 hours ago, 1stN3rd said:

Since it looks like this'll be my last chance, can I just say...

Shoutout to Jeff Jank for his work on Donuts. One of my favorite albums of all time. Spent countless hours cruising to it.

Peace

^Of course, but the next incarnation of STMB looks like it will be less tethered to Stones Throw records, so I'm just saying my piece.