JJ

Attn: STMB updates

Updated 5/23/18 -- I recently announced this board would be closing in 2018, but some of the ongoing problems on the backend have just been sorted out, so I think we're good to go for a while.  Additionally, a few people have reached out about working on the board, so there may be another one or two admins here soon - that's all TBA.  

OTHER UPDATES:  The "Crates" forum was merged with "Talk" a while ago, and now they've both been merged with "Stones Throw" and renamed II B.S. (named after a Charles Mingus track, because we all like to b.s.).  

"Hype" is still Hype, because there's always going to be that guy who wants to come here and spam your ass. 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

...mkay

You do know you are basically killing the only working beat battle and its community (reaching from beginners to professional beatmakers) on this goddamn planet?
NOT cool.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Per.du said:

You do know you are basically killing the only working beat battle and its community (reaching from beginners to professional beatmakers) on this goddamn planet?
NOT cool.

Never heard this claim before, and I kind of find it hard to believe.  

28 minutes ago, Kowalzki said:

iOC4aqB.gif

• Like 1

bummer man! this thing was special, thx for putting up with us for so long, it was good while it lasted! .....maybe Stones Throw release a an EP with all of us as final goodbye gesture kinda like a "quakers" of the message board kinda thing lol :):) or like a Stones Throw Podcast featuring a mix of all us :):) .... a man can always dream :) lol 

• Like 3

we can make a new website/forum.

would be good to have that exact date for when this one shuts down  J.J,

in order to reach out to people in time and give notice here to direct them to the new spot.

I had this idea to collect all stbb samples from the last decade and put'em into one big bank.

maybe that can be included into the new page

10 hours ago, JJ said:

Hey folks, head's up: 2018 is the last year for STMB.  We've kept the board running for a while, mostly to allow the Beat Battles to keep running, but it's gotten to be a burden. I don't have a close date set yet, but I can't imagine it lasting through summer. 

I'd recommend Reddit for general b.s.ing, but I know that's not a great solution for the Beat Battles.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, fivepee said:

or like a Stones Throw Podcast featuring a mix of all us 

Podcast or any kind of mix of beat battle beats is an idea I floated with Jonwayne a few years back, since he knew the scene.  Nothing came of it obviously -- most likely it would have been a lot of work for anyone just to sort through the material, something that could only be done if it were their own idea and labor of love.   

What my man is trying to say here is that your skipping over the cultural relevance and gravity of a  decade of *Stones Throw history..
Jonwayne.. M Dibiase etc etc.. and the thousands of other beat makers that passed through here

Not only selling us but also selling yourselves short.

Sadening to read the tone in which  this notification is being brought
along with the fun gif 
and then no answer to the serious question at hand.. when's the deadline to the beat battles..  pun intended.
such burden we are.

21 hours ago, JJ said:

Never heard this claim before, and I kind of find it hard to believe.  

21 hours ago, JJ said:

iOC4aqB.gif

3 hours ago, JJ said:

Podcast or any kind of mix of beat battle beats is an idea I floated with Jonwayne a few years back, since he knew the scene.  Nothing came of it obviously -- most likely it would have been a lot of work for anyone just to sort through the material, something that could only be done if it were their own idea and labor of love.   

* read: global beat making history

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why that? Im more than sad now

Please if you can just redirect people throw site message to some other beat battle place what we can make during the time?

I will making only sad beats from now

• Like 3

Thanks for having us.  

It's sad to think that the board will no longer be here. I wish I'd found it sooner, and I'll really miss the place, the characters and the inspiration. I made some of my best stuff here, almost musical some weeks.     

I think there are other places to battle, but this is for sure the best and only place with such a great vibe (if such a thing is possible on a message board) and true community feeling.  

I hope that we can salvage it somehow and perhaps move it somewhere else.  Not sure it will be the same if we do but it's worth a shot.

With regard to the burden that JJ mentioned...  I could be wrong, but I don't think that he was talking about the members, more so the associated upkeep.  He also said that he doesn't have a close date yet, so when he does I'm sure they will let us know. 

If anyone has the knowledge, skill, patience, time, and resources to take us to the next phase, then speak now or forever hold your peace. 

In the meanwhile I'm gonna join Ogi on the sad beat tip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soul-Jutsu said:

With regard to the burden that JJ mentioned...  I could be wrong, but I don't think that he was talking about the members, more so the associated upkeep. 

Correct, I'm talking about the board software, maintenance, hosting, etc.  You guys might remember 2-3 week outage around new years, for example.  

Worst news since trump got elected 😢. This has been a place for beat makers to challenge themselves and up there game. I'm am grateful for the love  this community has shown to all who participated over the years. I am curious why stonesthrow never really brought attention to the battle seen. I just wish they invested some more of there time and hell even signing some of these producers.It would have been nice to see some of  these legendary producers get the recognition they deserve. Here is a link for 6 mix tapes put together by MellowYouth.  All tracks are from winners. Hey JJ maybe you should get Peanut butter wolf or Madlib to listen to this or maybe you could? This was the beatmaker incubater  why drop the ball stonesthrow?Why?!?!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soul-Jutsu said:

Thanks for having us.  

It's sad to think that the board will no longer be here. I wish I'd found it sooner, and I'll really miss the place, the characters and the inspiration. I made some of my best stuff here, almost musical some weeks.     

I think there are other places to battle, but this is for sure the best and only place with such a great vibe (if such a thing is possible on a message board) and true community feeling.  

I hope that we can salvage it somehow and perhaps move it somewhere else.  Not sure it will be the same if we do but it's worth a shot.

With regard to the burden that JJ mentioned...  I could be wrong, but I don't think that he was talking about the members, more so the associated upkeep.  He also said that he doesn't have a close date yet, so when he does I'm sure they will let us know. 

If anyone has the knowledge, skill, patience, time, and resources to take us to the next phase, then speak now or forever hold your peace. 

In the meanwhile I'm gonna join Ogi on the sad beat tip. 

yes, I'm appreciative for the good times had here too..
friends made..  collabs made.. progress made..

onwards and upwards though...
I've been looking at other long running ( labels ) fora too..  to potentially host the battles.
most just too squigly and ugly etc.

I'm wondering will the whole message board be deleted.. the whole ten year history.. or will we be able to wander static archives?

so.sad. learned alot here... what u need 10k? 100k?   Everybody is for sale

38 minutes ago, JoaGymshoe said:

I'm wondering will the whole message board be deleted.. the whole ten year history.. or will we be able to wander static archives?

Good question...

8 minutes ago, dinobeatz said:

so.sad. learned alot here... what u need 10k? 100k?   Everybody is for sale

Can we buy it? That's another good question. 

• Like 1

..will ST be willing put up a link for a while directing beat makers to the new spot?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soul-Jutsu said:

Can we buy it? That's another good question. 

1 hour ago, JoaGymshoe said:

..will ST be willing put up a link for a while directing beat makers to the new spot?

I like both options.

Shame to see this stop. Good inspiration, challenge and community. 😞

p.s. what are the hosting, maintenance specs of this former (just so we know what is needed to replicate :-))

6 minutes ago, BarryStudebaker said:

I like both options.

Shame to see this stop. Good inspiration, challenge and community. 😞

p.s. what are the hosting, maintenance specs of this former (just so we know what is needed to replicate :-))

this looks like an open source site so I guess it's possible
but we need a new name .. so likely a new site..   we already have a good idea..  
ST didn't want us to use the words Stones Throw for the Collection page either.. but we can stick with the abbreviation tough.

Cool that sounds very doable then.

Let me know how a can chip in on this 🙂

9063f25c4e916366d20ad8bd3688ea96.jpg

vk.com is a great option.

VK allows you to upload, stream, and share audio files in mp3 format. It's essentially Facebook with better file sharing capabilities. 

We could just create a group there, and post and vote in the group.  

18 hours ago, Soul-Jutsu said:

Already talked to a good friend who is willing to help us out ... there are a lot of open source forum-presets out there (some suspiciously close to what the forum here looks like ;)) but still it wouldn't be the same.. )

also the hosting would cost some money, yes. but if everybody, lets say contributes 2-3 € a year hosting&domain would be financed. (well excluding for all the work on the forum itself, moderation etc.)

name-wise I got some ideas...

21 minutes ago, Kris van Huystee said:

well we could move to reddit too then (like jj suggested first)
the spirit of the battles lies (correct me if I'm wrong) in the classic-oldschool forum-form.
And as mentioned above, I don't really think its that much work to get it running....

• Like 1

Good to see that there are some options.

Regarding paying to play. I get that it’s not free to run but  my limited understanding is that it is cheap. If we start taking payment we would need transparency and some kind of board to run it. I know we’re not talking a lot of money but it starts to sound like a business and personally I’d rather it didn’t go that way.  

This is all good discussion. Let’s keep it moving. 

24 minutes ago, Kris van Huystee said:

VK allows you to upload, stream, and share audio files in mp3 format. It's essentially Facebook with better file sharing capabilities. 

We could just create a group there, and post and vote in the group.  

I recall you telling me about that last time STMB went down Kris.. and forgot about it
the environment/layout seemed not to unpleasant if I  recall correctly..
it might mean less upkeeping chores etc.

maybe we can look into it per.du?

also there are no copyright issues there ..all samples cleared ;)

6 minutes ago, JoaGymshoe said:

the environment/layout seemed not to unpleasant if I  recall correctly..

yeah but as we discussed -its basically just the russian facebook... and we shouldn't move to a social media site... a site, where everybody from all over the world can join (or watch without an acc) is prefereable.

also: again: a webserver is cheap nowadays. a domain as well. and there are a ton of free software solutions we could implement to preserve the oldschool-forum-form we all got to love. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Per.du said:

yeah but as we discussed -its basically just the russian facebook... and we shouldn't move to a social media site... a site, where everybody from all over the world can join (or watch without an acc) is prefereable.

also: again: a webserver is cheap nowadays. a domain as well. and there are a ton of free software solutions we could implement to preserve the oldschool-forum-form we all got to love. :)

aight.. good points..

not too fond of having it closed off either..
not sure how long SC (links)  is gonna go on but we'll figure that once we get there...

just to clarify how VK would work:

It's Facebook

with audio sharing integrated

so we would just all create profiles

every battle could be created from a group

there are different options

for hosting the battle

the winner could host it on his/her own page

then we could post out beats in the comments

I don’t trust standard facebook to be honest but for battling purposes I’d create an account.