Sign in to follow this  
supersen

STBB # 582

Hey everyone, thanks so much for last week - I truly appreciate my first win in the STBB!

But let's move on to

#582: i don't have all day for this.

giphy.gif

Here are the rules:

Create at least two layers of the given sample

and

Build your entire beat within one hour (and please don't cheat ;-)
The idea is to reflect on your own process - what do you focus on? chopping? arrangement? bassline?...

You find the sample here:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/83bdf8056d6693dc8b31ed78e6b7d40920180428173638/e10aead238fd48f3679c433894cf8ea520180428173638/d611df

Happy Beatmaking <3
– SUPER SEN

How it always works:

Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 582“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.

For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection

EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time

Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample to WeTransfer

• Like 3

Samples are dope , Rules are Raw. 

but HOW?! can we prove that the beat was made in ONE hour? brah

15 minutes ago, DaDamnDetail said:

but HOW?! can we prove that the beat was made in ONE hour?

prove it? 

giphy.gif

we'll just have to trust the honest members of the community I guess...

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the challenge but personally thought an hour just wasn't enough actual time.. I'll explain why when I post up my beat soon which may be a non-entry depending on technicalities (mixing/arrangement/small changes etc)

- I know changing rules afterwards isn't usually kosher but most people probably haven't finished yet and it's before any entries.. can I suggest changing the rule to 2 hours? It's the same basic idea but the added hour would leave a lot more room for creativity

Obviously this is up to Sen/the community/Lord Regulator Joa

L

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LoniusTemp said:

can I suggest changing the rule to 2 hours?

+1 on that.

Well, what can I say... :)
I was inspired by the "against the clock" youtube series which I can highly recommend everyone here to watch (see below). Its stunning what some producers can come up with in 10min.

Personally, I feel like its not about making a perfect arrangement or track, rather about letting loose, experimenting and trusting your gut. If you end up with a sketch thats just as fine.

So let's shoot for 2hrs then - I'm fine with it . But not one second more! ;-)

• Like 2

props!

gave myself the extra hour which was a godsend otherwise I probably would have ended up with a dry/empty sounding loop lmao

those vids are some wizardry - hard to believe until watched!

it's easy to imagine how someone could flip this in an hour seeing those, just not most of us us mouse/keyboard guys and the level of physical skill to arrange on the fly like that is basically like playing a musical instrument, so even some hardware guys might not be able to pull it off

this is what I was able to come up with within the limit, might not be the dopest

Congratz! That was fun

it took me 54min 41sec

These rules! Great. Also, this must be the sample in some Busta Rhymes (E.L.E.) song I'm sure. I heard this shit on tv when I was young

Congrats for the win, fun rules! enjoyed it.

Sounds like shit,lol

Took about 55 mins from start to upload.

Hi guyz !!

Congratz Super Sen!

Nice special rules this week, i made this flip in 1 hour

15min chopping / 5min beat / 10min bassline / 10min mixing / and 20 f****n minutes to find good accapella on it 

See ya !!

1. Laid out the hat/kick, snare1/snare2 combo

2. Eq'd all the drums work

3. Played bass---scraped it

4. Played sample and cut, tuned on fly 

5. Add a few filler bass notes

...def didn't get a chance to outside layer under an hour. All I could do was pitch different chops +/-. 

I usually flip a sample multiple times over days and even weeks before I get the right vibe so 2 hours is way too short 

stayed in my lane with some lazy micro chop 20 minute boom bap shit

kick/hat/snare + 4 filtered bass chops + 5 sample chops + ill vibe acapella + mute arrangement + limiter on the master =

peace 

nice win nice sample respect.

On 28.4.2018 at 11:52 PM, supersen said:

So let's shoot for 2hrs then - I'm fine with it . But not one second more! ;-)

uh, nice.
Made a take yesterday, totally trashed it. this one took 2x50 mins today, one jamming, one "mixing" and stuff, taking a break doing stuff for university in between.
Couldnt really create a dope intro so there's your classic fade :D

(how did i make it sound that way? well... I abused a lot of presets & kits this time :'( )

Would have loved to work many more hours on this one .. but without the stress I wouldn't have got there I guess... anyway .. dope challenge !

Loved the challange; suited my work style... kinda freeing not to spend more than 5 minutes on the mastering/eq'g (which is where I usually get hung-up)

Chopped on the sp555, bouncing/layering parts to sp808, performance dumped to sp404 totalled about 40minutes. Comp/normalise/limiting and upload timed in at just under 10.. stoked!

Good luck evryone!!

after a long time.....

so the rules are not my taste i don't think time is essential for anything. Time is a fucked up measurement, i dont need time the sun is enough. But i tried my best

All sounds except the sample are from the OP1 which i chained through an chasebliss warped vinyl HIFI (lov that thing). A bit of Bob the master of lov, some of my pluginchains to mix and my masterchain preset with a bit of adjustment.

• Like 1

after a long time.....

so the rules are not my taste i don't think time is essential for anything. Time is a fucked up measurement, i dont need time the sun is enough. But i tried my best

All sounds except the sample are from the OP1 which i chained through an chasebliss warped vinyl HIFI (lov that thing). A bit of Bob the master of lov, some of my pluginchains to mix and my masterchain preset with a bit of adjustment.

On 28-4-2018 at 10:23 PM, LoniusTemp said:

Lord Regulator Joa  

hehe..  don't know what to think of this title ;)

On 17-9-2015 at 8:58 PM, JoaGymshoe said:

...I'd like to propose three new fixed rules:

- No rulechanges after posting the Topic Start

- The rulemaker has the final say on the entries... he can be made aware of possibly dodgy entries by other participants

- must vote to be able to win

so I used just the hour
didn't have time for more variations

the aca is a couple a years old.. ;)

enjoy..

pz Joa

https://soundcloud.com/joagymshoe/stbb-lord-regulator-582-one-hour-flip

1 hour ago, JoaGymshoe said:

Kow who stiiiiiiilll  can't log in

did you try switching browser or making a new account like lonius did?

Props to those who managed within the hour original limit. Took me about the extended full 2 hours to get this going.

I am more a type of trial and error and restart if I don't feel it yet :-). First part is with acapella and second with some more funky stuff from the sample

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Per.du said:

did you try switching browser or making a new account like lonius did?

he did..

• Sad 1

yooo congrats brooo,

love the sample,soulful shit

heres mine