Sign in to follow this  
elanvital

STBB #579 - Mark E Smith

Lonius here, my regular account is deactivated/guest for some reason

Did this with a chord made out of the guitar hum in the intro sample, played at different pitches/over different bass notes. Chopped up a break from another fall song (gonna edit this, need to go back and find all of what I used), layered with 808 drums and the bassline is made from an 808 kick sound

Hey Joa and All, The “bollocks” part was my history of being a fan of Mark E. Smith not the charges brought against him in this thread, which are quite serious and hard to defend and I honestly cannot defend his words. I was not aware of these lyrics before but I have to say it is not surprising to me given his deliberately provocative and contrarian stances. I would never pretend to be able to say what was going on in his mind when he decided to put those words in a song outside of his own comments which seem to be him doubling down on the correctness of his intent. The language was ignorant and cruel but probably pretty common in the pubs he would be frequenting at that time, again not excusable but a statement of fact. He is from a working class background and is proud to be “the crap that talks back” in a very class oriented society. He said he could not be an oppressor of black people because the working class shares the same economic oppression from those who hold the power that black people have dealt with historically. He is pointing out that middle class values are hypocritical in that they have the token black person in organizations that have no real desire to change the current power structure. I read that the band revisited the song in 2003 and the line was cut from that version. That is the closest Mark E. Smith could ever come to making any kind of apology. This inability to admit mistakes and apologize must have been hell for those closest to him. Personally in my experience people who behave like this are masking a deep insecurity and cannot allow themselves ever to be vulnerable. Often we are disappointed when our idols are all too human but in a way it makes them more real and brings them closer and into focus.  My children are bi-racial and anybody that would hate them for the way they look is not worthy of my respect.  I will say that I really don’t think racism was a core principle for him or was a catalyst for his artistic output and because of that absence of racist intent he keeps my respect on the merits of his art. He was like the great “piss taker” of rock music, a role he played admirably for so long.

So much for you guys avoiding my “bollocks”.

Peace, Hugh

• Like 3

On 12-4-2018 at 5:54 PM, Detritus Tabu said:

word

On 4/12/2018 at 4:54 PM, Detritus Tabu said:

Hey Joa and All, The “bollocks” part was my history of being a fan of Mark E. Smith not the charges brought against him in this thread, which are quite serious and hard to defend and I honestly cannot defend his words. I was not aware of these lyrics before but I have to say it is not surprising to me given his deliberately provocative and contrarian stances. I would never pretend to be able to say what was going on in his mind when he decided to put those words in a song outside of his own comments which seem to be him doubling down on the correctness of his intent. The language was ignorant and cruel but probably pretty common in the pubs he would be frequenting at that time, again not excusable but a statement of fact. He is from a working class background and is proud to be “the crap that talks back” in a very class oriented society. He said he could not be an oppressor of black people because the working class shares the same economic oppression from those who hold the power that black people have dealt with historically. He is pointing out that middle class values are hypocritical in that they have the token black person in organizations that have no real desire to change the current power structure. I read that the band revisited the song in 2003 and the line was cut from that version. That is the closest Mark E. Smith could ever come to making any kind of apology. This inability to admit mistakes and apologize must have been hell for those closest to him. Personally in my experience people who behave like this are masking a deep insecurity and cannot allow themselves ever to be vulnerable. Often we are disappointed when our idols are all too human but in a way it makes them more real and brings them closer and into focus.  My children are bi-racial and anybody that would hate them for the way they look is not worthy of my respect.  I will say that I really don’t think racism was a core principle for him or was a catalyst for his artistic output and because of that absence of racist intent he keeps my respect on the merits of his art. He was like the great “piss taker” of rock music, a role he played admirably for so long.

So much for you guys avoiding my “bollocks”.

Peace, Hugh

Thanks for this and the context you've provided here Hugh, only just read it. Appreciate the insight, and I think it's the response the topic deserved. 

Peace

• Like 1