Sign in to follow this  
elanvital

STBB #579 - Mark E Smith

Recommended Posts

stbb579 - rip Mark E Smith

 

Hey, cheers for the love last week

Liked the digging aspect of last week's battles, so in a similar vein...

Mark E Smith passed earlier this year. As you probs know, he was an infamous/legendary lyricist and vocalist in post-punk band The Fall from Manchester (my hometown)

To get a flavour of the band's style check Hit the North, Totally Wired, Victoria...

Rules

Flip any song/s by The Fall - please make sure Mark E Smith is a defining feature of the track

Use at least one 808 element in your track - boom/hats/snare (intro/outro/one-shot whatever)

One beat per entry (no beat suites like mine from last week, ahem)

Let's keep this shit brief - 2.30 max time limit

Outside instruments/synths/drums - allowed

Scratches/FX - allowed

Own raps allowed, but no outside acapellas

Please bring some heat

Happy digging/beatmaking!

 

The Fine Print:

Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 577“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.

For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection

EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time

Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: http://www.zippyshare.com

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@elanvital I know the name but not the music so after you posted the first thread I went to look for samples and encountered the track you're now recommending "the classical"

can you explain the first verse and the context of the song?

Verse 1]
There is no culture is my brag
Your taste for bullshit reveals a lust for a home of office
This is the home of the vain!
This is the home of the vain!
Where are the obligatory niggers?
Hey there fuckface!
Hey there fuckface!
There are twelve people in the world
The rest are paste
This is the home of the vain!
This is the home of the vain! 

rest of the lyrics here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jay Mykal said:

@elanvital I know the name but not the music so after you posted the first thread I went to look for samples and encountered the track you're now recommending "the classical"

can you explain the first verse and the context of the song?

Verse 1]
There is no culture is my brag
Your taste for bullshit reveals a lust for a home of office
This is the home of the vain!
This is the home of the vain!
Where are the obligatory niggers?
Hey there fuckface!
Hey there fuckface!
There are twelve people in the world
The rest are paste
This is the home of the vain!
This is the home of the vain! 

rest of the lyrics here

Hey - I think I've heard that tune a dozen times, but never fully clocked the lyrics. Language like that disgusts me to my very core. It has no place any in society, now or ever. 

That tune was written in the eighties. I guess it was a different time then, but while that might be some form of explanation, it in no way justifies the use of the n-word. 

I'm no expert of MES, so I don't feel qualified enough to explain his intentions. Some thoughts here, offer a more informed opinion than I can give ya. I do know that he is celebrated in the UK for being an outlier and a counterculturalist. As a person of minority ethnic origin, I've always felt like an outsider in my country, especially while living in the more conservative parts of the UK. I guess that's what initially drew me to hip hop. And in a roundabout way, it drew me to Mark's music more recently too. I vibe with the outsiders.

Had I been aware of his use of the n-word in this song, I'd never have suggested it. I can only apologise for any unintended offence caused, and will edit the post to remove the suggestion of that song.

If you wanna stick it to the guy in your beat, please do so. In my eyes it's an entirely valid response. 

Peace guys

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the win last week! I went ahead and flipped their Mountain Energei track. It made me think of the Black Keys with that guitar lead. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heared of them before. This was awesome!

Sample used: The Fall - For Sparta FC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Elan..
the 808 rule inspired me to make a trap track.. only the second one I ever did.. shit's tricky

now trap usually doesn't go down too well here so I'm posting this so y'all can get used to the idea ;)
I might throw on some raps..   see how thing go...

579_trap_shoe.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 8:39 PM, Dez-NYCe said:

Thanks for introducing me to The FALL

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoaGymshoe said:


the 808 rule inspired me to make a trap track..

579_trap_shoe.png

yeah !

 

Great. love to hear soon Joa on Trap !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YO! this Community is going to achieve  greatness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yooooo congrats EVan,

 

Heres my flip

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this was so much harder than I wanted it to be lol.. 

 

 

Samples

Drums chopped from Creep, The New Thing. 

Intro Sample = "Creep" 

 

Main Sample = "It's The New Thing" 

One Shot Sample = some unknown song part from: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2018 at 6:51 PM, elanvital said:

Hey - I think I've heard that tune a dozen times, but never fully clocked the lyrics. Language like that disgusts me to my very core. It has no place any in society, now or ever. 

That tune was written in the eighties. I guess it was a different time then, but while that might be some form of explanation, it in no way justifies the use of the n-word. 

I'm no expert of MES, so I don't feel qualified enough to explain his intentions. Some thoughts here, offer a more informed opinion than I can give ya. I do know that he is celebrated in the UK for being an outlier and a counterculturalist. As a person of minority ethnic origin, I've always felt like an outsider in my country, especially while living in the more conservative parts of the UK. I guess that's what initially drew me to hip hop. And in a roundabout way, it drew me to Mark's music more recently too. I vibe with the outsiders.

Had I been aware of his use of the n-word in this song, I'd never have suggested it. I can only apologise for any unintended offence caused, and will edit the post to remove the suggestion of that song.

If you wanna stick it to the guy in your beat, please do so. In my eyes it's an entirely valid response. 

Peace guys

After posting the meme in the thread you deleted I realised I only know him for being a divisive gobshite lol which is probably why I never pursued the music.

Unfortunately for me, having been on the receiving end of that word (and many others) over more than 30 years living in many parts of England, it's impossible to not hear it. Ironically, that's part of the reason I don't get offended by forms of "artistic expression" even when I probably should..sadly there are still too many real life issues to pay that energy to. Still tho, knowing the intent and context gives an idea whether I should fuck with it on any level, hence my request for more info from you.

Wasn't expecting an expert analysis, but equally wasn't expecting zero opinion based on not even listening properly, that's disappointing. I'm obsessed with music, so I can't imagine hearing any song 12 times and not listening to the lyrics, especially when the band are entirely focused on the content of the lyricist, and the song is widely considered one of their most controversial (misunderstood) songs from their best album.

Initially you weren't recommending it, but when I came back to ask if you'd heard it, you were, so I would have asked regardless. 

Fans of the group have analysed the song in greater detail here (I suggest you read that) but it contains more intentionally offensive comments from him which I can't fuck with regardless of his intent to be sarcastic.

Even though I share some of his anti-establishment sentiments and I understand the north/south dynamic, complex sarcasm and irony he displayed as an agitator within the UK (his whole career not just the 80s) I just can't fuck with the lack of dignity his expressed in being such a prick all the time. Even his own fans openly admit their distress at his alcoholic savagery. 

I'm not averse to hitting up these types of figures on an educational basis, but I definitely won't be taking part in any music memorials.

peace

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BOOMBAST

PLEDGE

PSYKICK DANCEHALL

AND AN 808 BASS IN THE HOOK

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jay Mykal said:

After posting the meme in the thread you deleted I realised I only know him for being a divisive gobshite lol which is probably why I never pursued the music.

Unfortunately for me, having been on the receiving end of that word (and many others) over more than 30 years living in many parts of England, it's impossible to not hear it. Ironically, that's part of the reason I don't get offended by forms of "artistic expression" even when I probably should..sadly there are still too many real life issues to pay that energy to. Still tho, knowing the intent and context gives an idea whether I should fuck with it on any level, hence my request for more info from you.

Wasn't expecting an expert analysis, but equally wasn't expecting zero opinion based on not even listening properly, that's disappointing. I'm obsessed with music, so I can't imagine hearing any song 12 times and not listening to the lyrics, especially when the band are entirely focused on the content of the lyricist, and the song is widely considered one of their most controversial (misunderstood) songs from their best album.

Initially you weren't recommending it, but when I came back to ask if you'd heard it, you were, so I would have asked regardless. 

Fan's of the group have analysed the song in greater detail here (I suggest you read that) but it contains more intentionally offensive comments from him which I can't fuck with regardless of his intent to be sarcastic.

Even though I share some of his anti-establishment sentiments and I understand the north/south dynamic, complex sarcasm and irony he displayed as an agitator within the UK (his whole career not just the 80s) I just can't fuck with the lack of dignity his expressed in being such a prick all the time. Even his own fans openly admit their distress at his alcoholic savagery. 

I'm not averse to hitting up these types of figures on an educational basis, but I definitely won't be taking part in any music memorials.

peace

Thanks for posting the link to the annotated lyrics. Helpful to see that.  A set of rules in tribute to a character as divisive as Smith was always gonna ruffle feathers - I was perhaps naive by not fully seeing that. And again, I'm sorry for your experience of bigotry and racism in England. It wont act as any consolation, but I have experienced the same throughout my life here.

I think I offhandedly used the word 'dozen' before - it might have been more, might have been less. But, yeah as I said in my earlier post, my bad for not fully clocking the lyrics. In justification, while I agree that lyrics are a focal point of the band's music, I wouldn't say that's the sole reason for their appeal. It was the abrasion and chaos of the music that drew me to them at first.

I could have offered an opinion earlier but chose not to. Mostly, cos I didn't want to colour anyone's judgment of the track based on my own opinions. Art's subjective, and my take is  simply that - especially with lyrics as open to interpretation to Smith's.

Yes Smith was an alcoholic. And yes he was undoubtedly a fucking prick to those near to him. There's lots of things he did that simply can't be condoned. But he was also a unique character, with an original outlook, who was brazenly anti-establishment. And with the way the music industry now seems to push artists who are safe and 'toe the line', I hanker for those who stick their necks out and simply don't give a fuck. 

I totally respect your opinion and decision not to take part this week (though I'd have loved to have heard what you'd have come up with!). Hope I've at least gone some way towards explaining my logic

Peace bro

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright people, an awesome sample source this week, enjoyed listening to what the group has to offer, 

Ended up using the tracks  "Telephone Thing" and "big new prinz".

 

Peace. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not your usual sample selection, so really looking forward to what y'all did with it. I flipped some synths from Hit the North and Mark E Smith's Guide to Writing. Used an 808 cowbell and boom half way through.

Ended up with something slightly (Mark E) Shmoother than I was expecting, so added some glitches in the 2nd half. In a way I guess it mirrors the way Smith would mess around with his band's amps while on stage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. TheFall - MidnightInAspen

2. TheFall - HardLifeInCountry

3. BD_DeepLong808_BSQ.wav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Sup y'all,

Been a tough week with this one for me but managed to pull something off.

Didn't know much about Mark E Smith or the fall at all, even if I would never listen to it out of own movement? it was an interesting musical discovery. 31 studio albums in 38 years is just  insane. I went like "I'm gonna listen to their whole discography on Spotify and see what I come up with" and never got passed the first album (41 tracks wtf) given the list of albums that followed. 

I had a beat at first, was pretty cool. Getting back at it the next day overdid and totally raped it, sounded like shit and saved the whole thing (so no redo). I had to restore the parts the way they were at first, did some additional balancing of the 808 kicks and the track overall. Wish it would've gone easier but at the end I still like the result and the way the samples and the beat came out tho'. 

Samples:

Vocals: dissolute singer - Mark E Smith

Guitars: Industrial Estate - the Fall

(part of the) drums: Dresden dolls - the Fall

Synth: Live at the witch trials - the Fall

Some interviews off youtube

 

0161 Manny on the map hahah

 Peace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all sounds are from the album Extracate

808 bass and drums

unfortunately no raps Slick Nick..  my trap skills weren't good enough to inspire myself

maybe someone on here can do me a cool organic trap(like) beat sometime

pz Joa

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey All, I could go on for long time about this band and this artist but nobody wants to hear that bollocks (Am I using bollocks correctly here?).  I used Frenz, Hit the North, Cruiser's Creek(a personal favorite) and this video . Cheers Mr. Smith! You will be missed by me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Detritus Tabu said:

Hey All, I could go on for long time about this band and this artist but nobody wants to hear that bollocks (Am I using bollocks correctly here?).  I used Frenz, Hit the North, Cruiser's Creek(a personal favorite) and this video . Cheers Mr. Smith! You will be missed by me.

..if it were nonsense you'd tell about him..  I was actually kinda looking forward to what you'd have to say on the subject...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this