STBB #570

Chopspiration

The sample is exactly 89 BPM, pre-chopped so you can loop

or move around any part bar by bar (or 8th/quarternotes/whatever) if you import

the wav into your song file

Original is here

Sample:

http://www84.zippyshare.com/v/0Ist5Xzn/file.html

(Sorry for zippyshare link, couldn't get wesendit to work)

Rules

Outside everything allowed, beat must be based around the provided sample

Notes

The in-time sample is called "89BPM-On Green Dolphin Street - Rhodes Mark I 1975 improvisation"

In the other folder is the original performance and an example of

what the in-time version sounds like with a 4/4 beat on top

I chose a one-sample week for good competition, along hopefully with ease of chops making for some diverse entries

Try placing the wav over a drum pattern at 89 BPM and clicking around randomly for ideas/inspiration - it's basically like having hundreds of preloaded chops

End result can can be any speed you like

You don't have to use the wav chopping method and can make your beat normally - knowing it's exactly 89bpm will make it easier to do it the regular way too -

the goal is to chop the sample into a unique and dope beat

Theoretically you could make a beat by chopping the whole song into bars and randomly rearranging them!

Because the original is a human performance a couple of bits and pieces are not perfectly in time and may drag/speed a little

Make sure to set your sequencer to 89 BPM before you import the audio file - at least in Reason not doing so can sometimes mess things up

Happy Beatmaking!

The Fine Print:

Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 570“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.

For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: https://soundcloud.com/stbbcollection

Label entries that are posted after the deadline as 'late entry' and entries that don't comply with the rules as: 'non-entry' in your track title.

EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time

Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: https://wetransfer.com/

• Like 4

cool man congrats on the winyeah we send it sucks.  the one we are trying to move to is wetransfer.com  cheers to a dope week homie!!!

Shat! I started listening to the entries on Thursday and got busy, then straight up forgot to vote on Friday. I'm gonna go sit in a corner until next week for being a tard. Happy flipping fellas! Congrats Lonius!

Grats. Nice sample.

• Like 1

non-entry cause I had a couple hour head start chopping the sample up

• Like 2

570Yaaaay S.T.B.B  here is my entry for 570 stbb

Dope sample. Went pretty much with standard chops but tried to add a bit of my special sauce to keep things interesting.

Didn't do a bunch of chops...more of a loop, really.  Hope you enjoy!

I foresee a lot of lo-fi smoothness this week, so I went in another direction. Squeezin' asses! 

Went full cinematix drama power vibe for this week!

congrats Lonius! can't wait for your "behind the beat"

made this on super bowl sunday.
I wanted to do something against the excitement so i decided to pick the moment in the performance i felt was the most resolved and relaxed (the end). I transposed the end in Sampler to produce the melody. The bass was made from a small part in the middle, eq'd and comp'd, dropped into Sampler and played the lick. The drums are from my "secret stash": the rims are from some nina simone records, the hat is the stock 808 hat with ableton (i put a delay on the end of it and automated the swing, d/w, and feedback for a "clock" effect). the kick is secret sauce so no hints.
I bussed everything to my tascam porta1 on a really nice high quality cassette (TDK type ii, zero drag). I rerecorded a couple of times to get the vibe with some additive eq'ing, and added some reverb for spatial context. I finally printed to the same cassette with low input and high output (less noise), boosted the highs, and printed to ableton after a glue compressor to mellow any peaks. ⁄§⁄

• Like 1

Yo whats up!!! congratulations on the win. 

Nice sample choice this week.

Shame I missed out on last weeks.

I was looking forward to messing around with a different time beat signature than the 4/4 or what ever the funk it was.... 

Any way. I bought a new desk, so I now have an actual dedicated space for my computer and set up. Might help with productivity. hahaha

here is this weeks flip. 

Peace. 

Had to do a full edit flip hope yall dig it no chops needed

Yei! Ableton Live 10 is out. Good reason to take part! :)