nervous

R.I.P. (?) Charles Manson

Can't believe tax payers had to pay for that fucker to live 44 years. Folks who say it costs more to execute than this, I don't understand that math at all. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 11:11 PM, GC90 said:

Can't believe tax payers had to pay for that fucker to live 44 years. Folks who say it costs more to execute than this, I don't understand that math at all. 

A subject I was reading about recently.

We know California's yearly prison budget, and their yearly prison population. It's pretty easy to figure out an average cost per inmate for each year - currently in the 80,000/year range - but it gets less accurate when you try to average out the cost of keeping one person in prison for 44 years, considering inflation and everything else. For sake of argument, 44 years at today's budget would mean it cost CA taxpayers $3.5 million for Manson's life in prison.   

There's a lot less executions, so it's easier to average out what those cost:  “Taxpayers have spent more than $4 billion on capital punishment in California since it was reinstated in 1978, or about $308 million for each of the 13 executions” – LA Times (2011)

More importantly, or realistically, no prisoner in US history has been executed on the basis of cost analysis.  

15 hours ago, fungus said:

There's a lot less executions, so it's easier to average out what those cost:  “Taxpayers have spent more than $4 billion on capital punishment in California since it was reinstated in 1978, or about $308 million for each of the 13 executions” – LA Times (2011)

It shouldn't cost 20+ million dollars to kill someone. A breakdown of how the government somehow finds ways to waste that money would be interesting for sure.

Edit: I guess it's all the lawyer fees to keep them alive on death row lol. I don't think capital punishment is always the best option, but when it comes to fuckers like Manson I'm all for it

11 hours ago, Dirty Cyclist said:

you pull the switch?

LOL

On 11/28/2017 at 12:44 AM, GC90 said:

I don't think capital punishment is always the best option

It's not a cause or a passionate interest of mine, but I'm generally against capital punishment for pretty common sense reasons. I don't think anyone has shown where capital punishment has ever been "the best option."   It doesn't have any effect on the murder rate, it doesn't help victims, doesn't do anything good for the state.  

We all get mad and think people should die.  Manson definitely should have died, and so many others.  That doesn't make me a believer in state-run execution. 

yeah i dunno so much about the state's authority to kill people, no matter their crimes. particularly when, as fungus says, it doesn't effect much of anything anyway. call me crazy but i'd rather pay manson's way

have any of you listened to the Young Charlie podcast?  saw it on my Spotify, got through episode one...intriguing stuff.  didn't realize he had come from such a broken home, and was committing high crimes at such an early age.  guess he just wanted to do hoodrat stuff with his friend

16255969.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1