MicESanzMusic

Politics and Current Events

Figured i'd start just a general thread for politics and current events here. Right now we recently had the Charlottesville protests and in the aftermath monuments are being taken down and vandalized. What are everyone's opinions on this?

i've lived up North all my life and i'm fairly young, i didn't know and i'm surprised the monuments to the Confederacy still existed in this capacity until fairly recently. i know there's hicks that have confederate shit but i didn't know the extent people still clung to this stuff. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/18/us/charlottesville-mayor/index.html

a monument to the Confederate President on a highway??? damn. 

5 hours ago, MicESanzMusic said:

Figured i'd start just a general thread for politics and current events here. Right now we recently had the Charlottesville protests and in the aftermath monuments are being taken down and vandalized. What are everyone's opinions on this?

i've lived up North all my life and i'm fairly young, i didn't know and i'm surprised the monuments to the Confederacy still existed in this capacity until fairly recently. i know there's hicks that have confederate shit but i didn't know the extent people still clung to this stuff. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/18/us/charlottesville-mayor/index.html

a monument to the Confederate President on a highway??? damn. 

Every town in America has roads named after conquerors, rapists, enslavers, etc. We can take the down as many confederate monuments as we want but it won't erase the ugly history of humanity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1stN3rd said:

Every town in America has roads named after conquerors, rapists, enslavers, etc. We can take the down as many confederate monuments as we want but it won't erase the ugly history of humanity.

erasing history would be bad. history should never be erased. taking down monuments that glorify the enslavement of our citizens however i'm all for.

4 hours ago, SwampThing said:

from past experience this thread might not be a great idea. but fuck those statues

why do you say that? just cause regis thread may/probably will descend into a chaotic shitpost fest?

10 hours ago, SwampThing said:

lmao i don't want to find out which ones of y'all are trump supporters

Why not?  Its freedom of speech let em come out 😂

here for it

IMG_0012.GIF.a32e1f0963a46850a30960552fd4244c.GIF

I told y'all Trump being elected was go bring out racist to get dragged. Now when people lay claim to RACISM still  being in existence you can clearly see after Charlottesville they were not "overreacting ".

RIP to the victims who lost their lives 

• Like 1

A statue/monument is a powerful thing, goes beyond just a historical reminder, especially when you have people walking around today who still support the achievements that earned them that statue. It's not about erasing history, it's about not celebrating it and taking power away from those that do.

• Like 4

i've heard/read people take the slippery slope approach to this, where by extension we eventually start taking down statues of the Founding Fathers and what-not (for example, the infamous VICE article that had the original headline "Let's Blow Up Mount Rushmore": Let's Get Rid of Mount Rushmore - VICE )

do you guys have a specific line where dismantling statues becomes counter-productive?  i'm in favor of removing these statues from public areas, and the fact that at least some if not a lot of these will be preserved for historical purposes in Civil War museums sounds like a completely reasonable solution to me...it's not "erasing history" at all like some people have been trying to spin it as.

with that said though, it's very true that people throughout history have done fucked up things.  shit, i bet 200 years from now people will look back at today's times and point out all the shit we fucked up and demand similar cultural zeitgeists for some of the worst things the new millennium has had to offer thus far.  my point is that just like technological innovation is always occurring, so is moral innovation...so the best way to learn from history's mistakes is to understand that progression and see the net positives we've all come to experience at this point in humanity.  it can be really hard to do that when you're viewing history from a contemporary lens -- even some of our most beloved figures in society weren't perfect, and it can be very easy to write off someone's past existence over something they thought then that is now considered wrong or even malicious by today's standards.

i mean, are we willing to start creating ultimatums like, "any historical figure with any connection to negative historical events/figures/ideologies/etc. shall be destroyed" ?  i've always been intrigued by Post-Modern thought, but i'm not going to become a total iconoclast because of it...to me, it seems to be more of the same shit humans have always done.  the new perpetually destroys the old; i mean, Christian missionaries from centuries past built statues of their patron saints and religious figures after destroying all the indigenous statues they could, establishing their cultural hegemony.  this is very similar: we're essentially establishing a new cultural hegemony over America that is hopefully more explicitly opposed to its violent past and less forgiving of its predecessors' actions.  that's not necessarily a bad thing, it just is what it is -- and as long as people understand that on any side, then it should give you some historical context to help make sense of what's happening in our country currently.

we're watching the death throes of nationalism, in all flavors and varieties, as technology inevitably propels us into a more globalist-centric age.

(just wanted to add, thanks to fuckheads on the internet the term "globalist" has in itself become a disguised term meant to mean something else...i'm not using it in that way.  i mean the literal definition of globalist lol, as in operations conducted on an international scale.  felt like i had to clarify that in case someone misinterprets what i'm trying to say)

but yeah, i think this is a fascinating conversation regarding the duty of iconoclasm in the face of an ugly, unjust history...curious to read your guys' thoughts on this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJ Projexion said:

A statue/monument is a powerful thing, goes beyond just a historical reminder, especially when you have people walking around today who still support the achievements that earned them that statue. It's not about erasing history, it's about not celebrating it and taking power away from those that do.

They'll put the statues in museums and the debate will rage on. Again: stone statues aren't our problem, it's people and systems. 

I thought Trump was retarded for comparing the removal of these statues to going so far as to have people complain about statues of presidents, but then Trump has to be right again lol http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/16/jackson-washington-park-protest-presidents-slave-owners/  . Should we tear down the White House, Capitol building, and all the other monuments in America now??

As far as the confederate statues go, they should be removed from any publicly funded space in my opinion. Tax payers shouldn't be paying for the upkeep of confederate loser statues. They should instead be put into museums like I've heard a lot of folks say to maintain the historical aspect/etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1stN3rd said:

They'll put the statues in museums and the debate will rage on. Again: stone statues aren't our problem, it's people and systems. 

Stone statues are very much a problem, you clearly aren't offended by them, but some people are.Museums are different than them being out in the open in public view

I don't want to drive down the street or walk to a park and have to openly see a monument of anyone who fought against me having freedom and civil liberties

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"I don't want to drive down the street or walk to a park and have to openly see a monument of anyone who fought against me having freedom and civil liberties " Mike drop

• Like 1

21 hours ago, miss stress said:

I don't want to drive down the street or walk to a park and have to openly see a monument of anyone who fought against me having freedom and civil liberties

Sure, but having the government come in the dead of night and haul off the statues on trucks to avoid riots occurring is sweeping the problem under the carpet, not making progress toward unity.

4 hours ago, 1stN3rd said:

Sure, but having the government come in the dead of night and haul off the statues on trucks to avoid riots occurring is sweeping the problem under the carpet, not making progress toward unity.

If both placing them in museums and leaving them out in the open all will cause people to continue to rage on. Then what's the alternative to start the process of unifying everyone????

On 8/22/2017 at 5:11 PM, 1stN3rd said:

Ummm... probably smart to do it in the dead of night so you can avoid the death threats:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nee3ng/so-you-want-to-remove-your-towns-confederate-monuments

On 8/23/2017 at 0:52 AM, miss stress said:

If both placing them in museums and leaving them out in the open all will cause people to continue to rage on. Then what's the alternative to start the process of unifying everyone????

On 8/23/2017 at 10:27 PM, Dirty Cyclist said:

Ummm... probably smart to do it in the dead of night so you can avoid the death threats:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nee3ng/so-you-want-to-remove-your-towns-confederate-monuments

I should say I totally support the removal of the statues. I just think that it points to much deeper problems. If we extrapolate on the way things are going now, eventual civil war seems like the only option. That's why I want to open the conversation to a broader discussion than just what the news reports, because with the trajectory we are on of polarization and division we are heading toward catastrophe.

• Like 1

damn. this hurricane harvey ain't no joke 

https://www.wired.com/story/hurricane-evacuation-houston-harvey/amp

also north korea fired ballistic missiles over japan 

North Korea Fires Missile Over Japan in 'Unprecedented' Act - Bloomberg
https://apple.news/A_yTgM3RMTYued57p073mKg

war with north korea unfortunately is just a matter of time, it seems. idk how the hell it's gunna be managed in the nuclear age. ANY type of confronatation is gunna fuck up significant parts of Asia. 

I got a "current event" for y'all ...

Pete Rock just pulled out his SP1200 on Instagram and dropped a gang of videos.  

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2017 at 1:58 PM, 1stN3rd said:

I should say I totally support the removal of the statues. I just think that it points to much deeper problems. If we extrapolate on the way things are going now, eventual civil war seems like the only option. That's why I want to open the conversation to a broader discussion than just what the news reports, because with the trajectory we are on of polarization and division we are heading toward catastrophe.

Image result for purse gif

Pac is 100 times the preacher Joel Osteen could ever be

yo you think taylor swift did this on purpose or nah? (scheduled the release of her kanye west diss album on the same day his mom died lol)

now we gotta worry about them firing a missile at California and Trump doing nothing about it cause it's a blue state 😤

1 hour ago, Instrmntl Beats said:

I hate to say this, but the U.S. need to obliterate North Korea now. Like at this very moment. No more shit talk. Just kill them all now...

it isn't that simple, i wish it was though. the world would be better off without them and there probably will be a war at some point within all of our lifetimes but unfortunately we can't without a loooooooot of problems 

for one, they're allied with China. a war with them means a war with China which would be horrible

for two, even if China let north korea be wiped out, it would cause hella damage to the environment, ESPECIALLY if nuclear weapons were used

and finally it would be a war. many, many people would die. it would be costly, it would take a long time, just a lot of shit that none of us civilians could ever imagine in our worst nightmares

i agree this narrative is not sustainable and that north korea will at some point provoke a war if we/japan/south korea don't act preemptively but it is a VERY delicate situation and we currently have the worst president in history at the helm of it all