STBB #541

STBB #541

bass GIF

No outside samples but bass

samples

http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/mueexXpE/file.html

&
https://we.tl/cww2RF4Ysv

- no outside instruments, keys , synths or drums allowed...  

- acapellas / vocal shots / fx-stuff allowed

- only outside bass related samples allowed

So the bass must be sampled!

Congrats es-K

The Fine Print:

Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 541“ in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.

For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: http://www.soundclou.../stbbcollection

EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time

Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: http://www.zippyshare.com

Happy flippin' 

pz Joa

• Like 2

here is my entry one of my fav breaks to hear but i  hate using it lol...so much resonance anyhoo..really dug this...went minimal..  #SnaresHellaOptional used an acapella

as i crawl out from under the slime

infinite thanks to everyone involved with these beat battles, although i haven't been participating of late, i have been observing and the vibration is bless

congratulations es-K

peace

Yo, a great week last week I will comment on all of the dopeness but the week is going to be big great throw back rules and great samples. Congrats to my man Es-k dope beat. Hope I did my boom bappers proud here is my track enjoy, like, comment in that order peace.

Some great beats so far, but I’m a bit bewildered as to how people are getting their drums to sound so good (punchy kick. Crisp hi hat), if no outside drum samples are to be used.  (unless they came under fx)

Spent ages trying to isolate a hat from the Dorsey track (filter, compression, fade out) but was disappointed with the result.

Appreciate some clarification (not secrets!)

52 minutes ago, LithiumLion said:

Some great beats so far, but I’m a bit bewildered as to how people are getting their drums to sound so good (punchy kick. Crisp hi hat), if no outside drum samples are to be used.  (unless they came under fx)

Spent ages trying to isolate a hat from the Dorsey track (filter, compression, fade out) but was disappointed with the result.

yeah no outside drums allowed....use the break man. the break is open as hell.  no clue what you use to make music but dont throw effects at it to throw effects at it.  decide what you  need and go from there.  also adjust your start points on the hi hat hits.  i took 4 or 5 of the hi hat hits in that drum break and made them different.  keep workin on it man.  hope that helps.  all comes down to some mixing too homie.   

Heres my quick beat fellas and femellas;)

Drums are from the samples only (used a bit of the Basil sample to layer with the snare...)

Also used the Basil sample to create a piano type sound and a flute sound.

Bass is sampled from another song and i used a couple of outside accapellas...

outside bass: lujon by Henry Mancini / outside vox: Amerie (both sampled from vinyl)   shout out to Ableton Sampler 

Hey All, I am really looking forward to hearing everybody's track this week. I got the bass from Alan Walker on you tube and sampling that and transposing. The two tracks supplied are all glompt together but essential horns and drums. I hope my vocals are not laughable, not really hip hop but it does rhyme. Twin Peaks Time. Peace, Hugh

6 hours ago, LithiumLion said:

A good trick no matter what you use to produce music is understanding layering if you sample you should layer drums are a perfect example, a weak kick layered 5 times can be made dope a punchy that is all I did to get my drums right as a matter of fact that is all I ever do for drums now you can compress and filter later but if you learn to layer you have a strong foundation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FatVonFree said:

yeah no outside drums allowed....use the break man. the break is open as hell.  no clue what you use to make music but dont throw effects at it to throw effects at it.  decide what you  need and go from there.  also adjust your start points on the hi hat hits.  i took 4 or 5 of the hi hat hits in that drum break and made them different.  keep workin on it man.  hope that helps.  all comes down to some mixing too homie.   

Yeah, see Fat Free nailed it if you take these tips your drums will be thick and rich in no time. Then you can add reverb and other mixing tricks but start with layers adjusting volumes and you will be good.

• Like 1

was a bit tricky but ableton is a beast, love the warp modes especially the transient mode, lovely^^

Guest Lonius
22 hours ago, LithiumLion said:

For the drums I made a hi-hat track by chopping out the kicks and snares from the dorsey break and looping it. Then I made some one-hits from the break (kick/snare/hat), processed/pitched them a lot and played them over the hat track.. The bass is chopped up from Ahmad Jamal's wave and the London sample is heavily filtered and chopped up too

Guest Lonius

/\messed up the post and made it look like I was quoting LithiumLion cause I was replying about hats, my beat's in the reply just in case for mods/\

This was a fun week...

I quite didn't understand if i was supposed to sample the bass from outside the provided samples. Anyway, my Bass is straight from the Lee Dorsey track... maybe it's a bit loud...

greetings! good challenge - good rules! pitched and filtered " Basil Kirchin" for a melody. isolated, pitched, layered, filtered and compressed the lee dorsay drums.

Fredson Jacobs out here dropping slander on joints that :flames: :lol:

..but really, stacking, warping, pitching, and various fxs are all part of the process for the drums.

congratz es-k

here's mine

nice sample!! I used Nathan East for the bass. If you don't know him check out Harvey Mason, dope ass band.

everybody should get their gifs from joa in the future...well done.

for the bass, i took a stab from a charlie haden track and processed the shit out of it. 

• Like 1

bass is from L.S.D. Partie by Roland Vincent which I got from the Ocean's Twelve soundtrack (the Ocean's series soundtracks being a big influence on me musically)