1instrument    15

Yo! I used sample A to create lead synth and bleepy pad on OP-1, and everything else was done in free Korg Gadget app, with exception to one Animoog synth track. Mixed and mastered in Auria Pro all on my iPad mini 3 which corrupted the project during a test mixdown 😭 Luckily that mixdown file wasn't lost with the project. I let space on my iPad get too low is what happened, so iPad producers beware.

I hope y'all enjoy, and I look forward to hearing this week's beats. Peace/\/\/\/

SashiMix    1

Hi here my work :) Thanks for listen

Delia <3

Enjoy

What if we made a rule that says

"Make a fresh new song using the provided sample(s)"

or something along those lines

Not trying to act like the discussion is the end of the world, I just would rather we were all on the same page when it comes to these for maximum fairness

FatVonFree    79

Man listen. Even if the rule is there. People still gonna do what the hell they do. Keep rollin. I mean if KVH wins he aint taking food or clothing or nothing outta my mouth. I mean shit. I read this thread 3 times man. Every couple of weeks somebody asks about a specific rule cause they dont like this or that. Couple weeks ago it was why did you make 3 beats in 1. It goes on. Hell one guy got called out cause he used granular synthesis to mangle the sample. One of the mods thought "i should be able to tell what the sample is". Lol. "Flip the sample as long as i can recognize it challenge".....Personal opinions every week. We aint winning no money or a chance at a deal with stones throw. Its a message board. Yes i understand some of you have "poured blood swear and tears" into this. For many years. So i think all we can do is  if we see something we all dont like. Ask him to not do it. But if you already sending somebody messages why not send another message asking him or her why they did what they did. This shit is pretty funny and petty as hell. Middle school. Really think about it man. "You wont believe what happens next". KVH lots of folks have a problem with what ya do. Your process is dope and admirable. Folks here don't seem to like it. I could care less. Too much shit going on in my life to he concerned. Anyhoo if i said anything too sideways. Send me a message. #Pushin  like i said about drum break lol. If somebody has a looped unchopped drum break amd just  adds the sample in there chopped lol whats the difference. Oh i know. You are okay with it. Love this place amd love participating. In 2 weeks it will be back to normal. My track sucked this week. 

• Like 3

JoaGymshoe    848
3 hours ago, FatVonFree said:

But if you already sending somebody messages why not send another message asking him or her why they did what they did.

that's putting things in perspective.. possibly downplaying it somewhat...

I was sorta done with saying my piece but I feel with this part above you possibly had me in mind..

we did talk about it at length..  heatedly from my side as I felt I was aiding and abetting too..

we'll likely have plenty more discussions in the future..  will keep'em off here...  mostly ;) 

4 hours ago, Supafly Arturro said:

What if we made a rule that says

"Make a fresh new song using the provided sample(s)"

or something along those lines

Not trying to act like the discussion is the end of the world, I just would rather we were all on the same page when it comes to these for maximum fairness

it's worked like this for ten years..  this thread is good to raise awareness..  needs to happen once every blue moon..

onwards ans upwards

KVH BEATS    78
2 hours ago, JoaGymshoe said:

FatVonFree said: 

But if you already sending somebody messages why not send another message asking him or her why they did what they did.

that's putting things in perspective.. possibly downplaying it somewhat...

I was sorta done with saying my piece but I feel with this part above you possibly had me in mind..

we did talk about it at length..  heatedly from my side as I felt I was aiding and abetting too..

we'll likely have plenty more discussions in the future..  will keep'em off here...  mostly ;) 

Plus I triple-dog-dared you :) Looking forward to more discussions. And thanks FatVonFree for the support! 

drrocken    1

One way is that we only use samples provided, part from that i dont really care, got almoast no time to make theese beats but i find it amusing and do it on odd minutes, if someone thinks its a good spent life using hours and hours for the competition, beginning a week in advance , whatever. All power to u, do that if it makes u happy.

solsauvage    46

Used sample B as the main ingredient, and sample(s!) A for some atmospheric sounds.

Bearcutta    2

Congrats on the win. Nice Samples this week.

I did a quick one with chops of Sample A and used a  stretched and pitched Vocal Cut as Synth of Sample C.

Outside Drums and Scratches.

Peace,

Bearcutta

Heavy Drama    101
6 hours ago, JoaGymshoe said:

it's worked like this for ten years..  this thread is good to raise awareness..  needs to happen once every blue moon..

Well, in the time I've been participating (now mostly lurking/listening) the only "rules" that have ever applied are those set by the winner of the previous round and the basic voting system. That's it. Everything else is entirely subjective and open to your personal interpretation.

So, to clarify .. unless "restricted" by the "rules" set for the round you are free and encouraged to use any techniques or knowledge that inspires your creativity to bring your submission to life. 

All talk of anything that isn't stated in the rules/guidelines for the round is purely assumption / personal opinion / preference.

I think FatVon said enough about the nature of this thread. Maybe it would help some of you to think of this as more of a beat cypher than a "battle". Be respectful and just have fun. Real talk if you're spending blood and sweat on a beat for a few hundred sc plays and a meaningless vote you got the game fucking twisted lol 

---------------------------

There are no moderators here. The group is open to anyone and is run by everyone. Any background. Any level of knowledge and experience. No egos. No hate.

---------------------------

Peace

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 5:35 AM, KVH BEATS said:

I didn't dare you Joa, no need to over dramatize... You raised the question of mentioning it here, and I said ok.

I often start composing my tracks a few days in advance, then I add the samples later. this one happened to be up to a week in advance. It's usually due to the fact that I don't have much time on Mon/Tues/Wed. I was doing it under the assumption that it isn't in violation of the rules, but if it's in violation of the spirit of the competition and enough people have issues with it I'll likely continue doing it in any case, because I would have made the same beat If I had started from scratch. Even at times when I start on Saturday afternoon I use the same approach: 1. compose a harmony (often one that I had been thinking of days before), 2. make the drums, 3. write the bass, 4. listen to samples and select chops that fit within the harmony of my track. That's my formula and I like it, sorry for starting a bit early sometimes :)

As far as the time limit. yup you caught me.

Ded Tebiase - who is DOPE AS FUCK (check him out if you're not in the know) admits openly to reusing and recycling drum patterns and samples in many of his official releases. i'm sure no one on here is making beats ONLY for the forum - i use arrangements I'm working on/have worked on for other projects - and then adapt them for my entries all the time...

• Like 1

elanvital    11

Ay - used a bunch of sounds from sample C. Added guitar, bass, glock etc...

JoaGymshoe    848

...used A and C..  everything is from the samples.. bass and drums too

the raps are about four years old  ( ... )

Congrats on the win ElanVital! that track was pure trip hop!

You were killing me with so much to choose from with these samples

I used A and B, played some bass, added drums and vocal one shots on the mpc

Lakewood    1

hey guys! great theme this week, made me want to chop up some doctor who on my free time. 

so you'll have to go easy on me this is my first beat battle and i'm very stoked to be a part of it! I wish I could've used more from sample A but I fell in love with the groove I got out of B and decided to roll with it. let me know what you think, I made the whole thing on an SP404-sx

really enjoyed the theme. inspiring subject and a legend. 

Sample A and a bunch of low fi odds and ends I played with.. added a few distorted vocal shots and just had fun with it..

"ScienceFair" 200 in one electronic project lab - project 109 - "Sound Machine III" with a potentiometer alligator clipped to different resistors to mess with sound

feedback from a bliptronic 5000

alesis sr16

casio sk-5