elanvital

STBB531 DELIA DERBYSHIRE WEEK

84 posts in this topic

STBB 531

delia_derbyshire.jpg

Delia Derbyshire week

Yo thanks so much for the likes, votes and feedback - really really appreciate it...

As Delia Derbyshire would have turned 80 last week, I thought it fitting that we pay tribute to this important legend and pioneer of electronic music. I'm sure y'all know who she is, but if not check this and this

RULES

1) EVERYONE MUST USE SAMPLE A BELOW. THIS IS A SERIES OF SOUNDS MADE BY DELIA AND MEMBERS OF THE BBC WORKSHOP. IT'S LONG. YOU'LL FIND SOMETHING. 

OPTIONAL:

YOU CAN ALSO USE SAMPLE B, OR SAMPLE C, BUT NOT BOTH.

SO YOUR OPTIONS ARE:

• A ALONE
  • A&B
  • A&C

PLEASE INCLUDE WHAT COMBINATION OF SAMPLES YOU'VE USED IN YOUR POST

2) Outside DRUMS and INSTRUMENTS  allowed 

3) 3 Minute Time limit 

4) ACAPELLAS not allowed, UNLESS you're doing the spitting

5) NO OUTSIDE SAMPLES

6) VOCAL ONE SHOTS - allowed

THE SAMPLES

SAMPLE A

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/fQexmzRZ/file.html

SAMPLE B

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/BV9zBtye/file.html

SAMPLE C 

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/ChuDugwb/file.html 

T's and C's

Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 531" in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.

For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: http://www.soundclou.../stbbcollection

EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time

Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: http://www.zippyshare.c

5 people like this

..yow congrats Elan!..  think I've seen a documentary on her on the Beebs once.. dope!

1 person likes this

Congratz on the well deserved win Elanvital!

dope theme.. reminds me of the "SAE tapemachine workshop" i joined many years ago..  this is gonna be fun ;)

1 person likes this

yo congrats homie!! and man this is dope for me cause electronic is what i shy away from!!! cheers bro!!! gonna be a good week!!!

1 person likes this

Big congrats on the win! Really great theme too.

1 person likes this

Congrats man 

I missed the voting but it would probably go to you,doope flip

Looking forward to this week

1 person likes this

Congratz, ah Man, NICE CHOICE! I am a big Doctor Who nerd when I am not writing and grading papers or making music I watch shows such as Doctor who Star Trek and the like. So good on you, we shall do this legend proud.

1 person likes this

Nice. She's such a pioneer. I love her beatmatching video and the documentary is sick.The way she made the doctor who theme is inspiring . Also you guys should check out the EMS documentary "what the future sounded like". Really cool if you re into synths.Congrats to the winner. 

2 people like this

Congrats man. You nailed that sound.
Not like that time a guy in one of my old bands said "hey check out this portishead style stuff I wrote"... bruh... :lol:

It's cool that even Adrian Utley shows up in the doc, and how Delia sampled one pluck at a time and spliced the tapes to build a bassline. Thanks for the history. 

Funny to see her all excited about that giant stack of oscillators. That's like me right there. 

1 person likes this

Hey All, Congrats Mr. Vital excellent work and excellent theme. I am a big fan of the Doctor also and so are my kids. We are pumped about the new season and we dig the new companion. I knew about DD and like said before you should check out the doc. I wanted a sci fi dance number. The Conchords was a great show also. It is me on vocal so i hope that is cool. Murray made me crack up so much.

Peace, Hugh

tumblr_nm7msaI9VO1qe8f1ko3_540.jpg

1 person likes this

not my best but i gonna enter anyway..used A of course..and used B....added my own drums and bass guitar....made this in the MPC4000....hope ya dig 

1 person likes this

It's all from the samples plus a little acoustic. Planned on adding some sine waves, since she loved simple sine synthesis and there's so much great stuff you can do with em, but ayyy

1 person likes this

Congratulations on the win. Great idea and framework.

1 person likes this

Used Sample A alone. Used the sample material for the outro. Played keys, bass, etc. Enjoy those extra 18 seconds...

1 person likes this

..So here's something that happened to me this week which I wanna share with you..

it pains me I must admit... but the person in question basically dared me to say it here..

and is so convinced of being right that I feel I do need to say it in the hope of him realising what he's doing isn't  in the spirit of this contest

This person sent me a track earlier this week for feedback... and I've been giving it that...

the track consisted of piano melodies, a drumbeat and a bassline...

I heard the track getting better and better during the week as new drafts were sent...

intro and outro 'skits'  were added... mix improved.. melodies added etc...

then today I suddenly heard the track on the forum!..   with the sample added to the outro

I confronted him on it..  the person says it's his usual way of working...

clearly we disagree on the matter...

to me the flipping the sample means using it as a starting point.. from the moment it's been released...

not incorporating it in an existing track...

personally I feel duped... and I'm disappointed to the degree I won't even say your name bro..

another thing..  go over the time limit..  lable your track non-entry

there's more stuff going on unrelated to this which might be brought under the attention later...

yes.. keep it fun and don't take this stuff so seriously..  hmmm..  seems I can't  

pz Joa

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, JoaGymshoe said:

..So here's something that happened to me this week which I wanna share with you..

it pains me I must admit... but the person in question basically dared me to say it here..

and is so convinced of being right that I feel I do need to say it in the hope of him realising what he's doing isn't  in the spirit of this contest

This person sent me a track earlier this week for feedback... and I've been giving it that...

the track consisted of piano melodies, a drumbeat and a bassline...

I heard the track getting better and better during the week as new drafts were sent...

intro and outro 'skits'  were added... mix improved.. melodies added etc...

then today I suddenly heard the track on the forum!..   with the sample added to the outro

I confronted him on it..  the person says it's his usual way of working...

clearly we disagree on the matter...

to me the flipping the sample means using it as a starting point.. from the moment it's been released...

not incorporating it in an existing track...

personally I feel duped... and I'm disappointed to the degree I won't even say your name bro..

another thing..  go over the time limit..  lable your track non-entry

there's more stuff going on unrelated to this which might be brought under the attention later...

yes.. keep it fun and don't take this stuff so seriously..  hmmm..  seems I can't  

pz Joa

I didn't dare you Joa, no need to over dramatize... You raised the question of mentioning it here, and I said ok.

I often start composing my tracks a few days in advance, then I add the samples later. this one happened to be up to a week in advance. It's usually due to the fact that I don't have much time on Mon/Tues/Wed. I was doing it under the assumption that it isn't in violation of the rules, but if it's in violation of the spirit of the competition and enough people have issues with it I'll likely continue doing it in any case, because I would have made the same beat If I had started from scratch. Even at times when I start on Saturday afternoon I use the same approach: 1. compose a harmony (often one that I had been thinking of days before), 2. make the drums, 3. write the bass, 4. listen to samples and select chops that fit within the harmony of my track. That's my formula and I like it, sorry for starting a bit early sometimes :)

As far as the time limit. yup you caught me.

congrats elanvital! i didn't know her. so thank you for tell her sound.

really cool synthesis! 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, KVH BEATS said:

I didn't dare you Joa, no need to over dramatize... You raised the question of mentioning it here, and I said ok.

I call BS bro...here's the actual conversation copied.. you suggested I raise the issue not me.. nothing changed or taken out

Me:

hm?

I already thought why's that track called 531?
that's not really a legit entry imo
having a drumbeat on the shelf is one thing but this?

You:

i used the sample in the outdo man
outro
it's clearly there
audible
and a part of the track

if you want to say it's not a valid entry go for it
i'll contest it

i write my harmonies in advance every time
adding samples is just cutting and pitching into key
but I am 18 second over 🙂
says instruments ok
no outside samples
i played everything myself
used the samples on the outro

in your theory I could spend my vacation makin say 10 beats for the next 10 weeks after... barring special rules I'd just have to insert the sample..

or spend weeks on a beat till the right sample comes along

this is the last I'm gonna say about it coz  after discussing it at length I know I can't make you see it... 

pzO!

21 minutes ago, JoaGymshoe said:

I call BS bro...here's the actual conversation copied.. you suggested I raise the issue not me.. nothing changed or taken out

Me:

hm?

having a drumbeat on the shelf is one thing but this?

You:

i used the sample in the outdo man
outro
it's clearly there
audible
and a part of the track
if you want to say it's not a valid entry go for it
i'll contest it
i write my harmonies in advance every time
adding samples is just cutting and pitching into key
but I am 18 second over 🙂
says instruments ok
no outside samples
i played everything myself
used the samples on the outro

in your theory I could spend my vacation makin say 10 beats for the next 10 weeks after... barring special rules I'd just have to insert the sample..

or spend weeks on a beat till the right sample comes along

this is the last I'm gonna say about it coz  after discussing it at length I know I can't make you see it... 

pzO!

well yea you could do that if you want.

as far as our convo on Facebook messenger, I stand by my previous statement, i didn't dare you to bring it up in the group, i said 'if you want to.' over dramatization. but you tend to do that (....)

1 person likes this

Congrats!! I've used A and C

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, KVH BEATS said:

I often start composing my tracks a few days in advance, then I add the samples later. this one happened to be up to a week in advance. It's usually due to the fact that I don't have much time on Mon/Tues/Wed. I was doing it under the assumption that it isn't in violation of the rules, but if it's in violation of the spirit of the competition and enough people have issues with it I'll likely continue doing it in any case, because I would have made the same beat If I had started from scratch. Even at times when I start on Saturday afternoon I use the same approach: 1. compose a harmony (often one that I had been thinking of days before), 2. make the drums, 3. write the bass, 4. listen to samples and select chops that fit within the harmony of my track. That's my formula and I like it, sorry for starting a bit early sometimes :).

I don't think this contravenes the rules exactly but it isn't right.

You have a finished track, made entirely without the sample days in advance.  

Then add some sample sounds at the beginning and end? 

It's like you crossed the line before the starter pistol, or got a ten strike combo before the bell.

It's just a bit Dick Dastardly bro. 

Just an opinion but I think the sample should probably inform your choices of drums, bass melodies, harmonies and whatever else happens after the sample drops, if not entirely then at least in some part. 

2 people like this

36 minutes ago, Soul-Jutsu said:

Just an opinion but I think the sample should probably inform your choices of drums, bass melodies, harmonies and whatever else happens after the sample drops, if not entirely then at least in some part. 

I think your a bit downplaying what I did. It's a bit more intricate than just adding samples here and there, but it's cool. 

I don't let the samples dictate what I do, regardless when I start. I don't do what the samples tell me, that is just one method. But I prefer to let the samples do what I tell them to do, not the other way around. I think there are solid arguments for or against each approach. Just a preference I guess. As far as where to use them, it's also a choice. This is the first time I've only used them in only in an outro, but again my choice. This week had some synth samples which consisted of roots and fifths and lots of triads that are fun to pitch around to fit into different chords. I liked it in the outro.

I always look for chops with triads because anything with a 7th is hard to move around into other chords(but not impossible) 

10 hours ago, KVH BEATS said:

" if you want to say it's not a valid entry go for it
i'll contest it" 

No, you.. raised the question of mentioning it here..   so don't lie    and stop with the semantics  about the word 'daring' 

and me dramatizing..sure... you can paint me overly emotional.. it doesn't weaken my point..

I care about this battle and you're just doing whatever you want else you wouldn't say this:

if it's in violation of the spirit of the competition and enough people have issues with it I'll likely continue doing it in any case

..so you can talk all your haughty musictheory you want ..tryna obfuscate what's at hand..

Sample is released: we all start flippin'.. at the the same time....together... different processes... but from that moment on..
not a: 'here's one I prepared earlier'  ..sticking the sample in say a year old track.. where's the line?