solsauvage

STBB#521 | Make Some Noise Week

Sol Sauvage & Doom Dap says THANK YOU! It's time for....

M A K E  S O M E  N O I S E  W E E K
S T B B # 5 2 1

This week is about integrating noise in our beats.

Now you can get creative and generate or sample your own noise. Or, you can use this website which receives radio signals, and has a record function.

websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

There you can explore different bands and frequencies in the white box to the left. I think you can also move the yellow arrow with the mouse. To make a recording click start' next to 'audio recording'

Apart from that use the samples Doom Dap provided.

www44.zippyshare.com/v/GQbM5w16/file.html

Outside drums, instruments, fx and vocals allowed.
Keep it under 2:30

When posting your beat, please share some of your process or how you approached this theme.

Have fun!

The Fine Print:

Upload your beat to Soundcloud, include "STBB 521" in the title, and POST TO THIS FORUM by Wednesday at Midnight, Pacific time. Try to leave as much feedback as you can and you will receive it back.

For easy browsing's sake, you can also go to the STBB page: http://www.soundclou.../stbbcollection

EVERYONE VOTES - by Friday at Midnight, Pacific time

Winner: post new sample, rules, etc by Saturday at Noon, Pacific time and upload the sample here: http://www.zippyshare.com

• Like 1

DUDUDUDUDUDUUUUUUDUE HOLY SHIT I LOVE THIS RADIO THINGY!!!! OH SHIT!!!!!! 

• Like 1

dooope!.. congrats

Congrats on the win gents, that radio thing is amazing - made a dirty little number with the noise :D 

I used the first sample as a laugh and themed my beat around that

• Like 1

here is my flip and holy hell that radio station finding mission was fun.  the stuff at the beginning and in between was from the stations....now the first sample i flipped is from the web radio also.  the horn sample was given to us.  then the third sample i flipped was from the web radio.  i was surprised when i found it.  there was some al jazeera and new zealand stuff i picked up.  also lots of japanese stuff, all on the AM.  then the last sample was the horn flip without the sample and me playing guitar and bass.  man this was fun and i will use that web radio site for at least 2 beats on each of my beat tapes from here on out..i played key bass on most of this except the one flip...cheers for that man hope yall dig!!!

• Like 1

Congrats on the win! I used the website tool to creat noise as an intro to the beat. Listening to the samples I tried some dance kind of stuff and then some boombap...but neither of them worked for me...after a couple of beers I decided to go for an uptempo charleson hiphop dance beat. Going for the funky flavor and here is the result! dance and enjoy!

• Like 1

Congrats on the win both of you!  Dope idea with the radio site!  And thank you everyone for your comments and feedback, it's seriously appreciated.  

I generated noise from the radio site, and chose the dreamy sample in the middle.  Slowed it down, laid down some drums, then messed around with different bass sounds, landing on an 808 sound in Massive.  JonWayne's new album has really been inspiring me, so I decided to lay down some vocals I've had for years.  I've always liked the way my vocals sound pitch dropped, so I went with it, fit the song better.  I've been sick and wanted to get it in one take.  I love when artists leave their authentic adlibs in their songs, so I just went with it.  From there, did a lot of editing.  Then knew it was missing something, so I went with a certain choral sound from a plugin I use a lot.  More editing and moving shit around, and that's it.  I've been on a kick of trying to keep it simple, after years of spending day after week after month tweeking songs over and over.  Hope ya'll like it.  Peace.

hey guys,

new to beatmaking and production. this is my first beat battle as well. hoping to learn as much as possible!

i played with the first part of the sample and a couple of the vocals. used noises from field recordings (bottles, crunching, etc). i also dumped the song into an sp404-sx for added fx since i wanted everything to sound hazy and compressed.

• Like 1

I started by making some recordings from the radio website. Mostly just noise and I also found some noisy talk radio or something. And I made some white-noise-ish sweeps by changing frequency, easy like alakazam. Fun site. 

Then I flipped a few of the samples from the pack and integrated some of the radio recordings as sweeps, noises and small glitchy kinds of thangs. 

I was very happy with all the short vocal samples that was in the pack, as they were very fun to pop into a Drum Rack and trigger them throughout the song, to give it some lively fun factor. 

Here's the beat. Hope you'll like it. Again, if something in the mix is way off, you're more than welcome to drop some feedback in the comments. It will be much appreciated!

Peace fam. 

Guest Lonius

Dope concept this week! For the noise, I used a very old (decade or so) wav file I found from when I used to mess about making noise music, and a sample from vinyl of a radio tuning/static effect off of a Yes album which has a lot of crackle on it..

I messed around chopping/pitching the keyboard sample until I got something I liked, made a melody loop and simple chord progression.The chord I chose partly by accident had a really dope sound to it cause it's the same one from Summer Madness (which Premier sampled) so it's kind of a strange cover of both and that's where the name came from. I also added a bassline, some fast/echoey chords and a horn stab from another sample in the pack

congrats solsauvage

1PM

i have been using ableton.

at first, i made simple loop from breaks. add warp marker at heads of hit of them. used slice function. some changed the start of samples. compressor rasio and threshold max. attack 2.0. release auto. then layerd same loop but no flip.

much mess. so i separated them each sections.  

melody loop. made 2 section loops handlly. some shift re-pitch also use frequency shifter. 

2PM

Oh, my man OSA came. stop making. 

6PM

this weeks theme is noise.  so i mixed white noise and sq wave of operetor. then used MDD_ARPOoO(step sequencer of m4l). insert 2 reverb. (ck.reflex and BalanceSP).

as another noise, I make distortion guitar. 

AU instrument ATOMS of BEATMAKER is ambient piano tool.

make simple midi, midi effect scale Aeolian mode natural minor, base D#. -Glue comp-mid overdrive-Amp Blues drive-cabinet 4x12 cab- saturator analog clip half drive- frequency shifter. send reverb(default).

too many comp makes less low frequency. so added 808 long kick as sub bass. to make stereo, ozone 7 imager.

I wanted to use another breaks. is sample battle breaks? so nice. quickly flip handlly one more sticky breaks. use second half section(6/10). need fitted melody loop. i used elegant hone. sexual. 

9PM

i want to drink beer, wine..today is end.

——

8AM

good morning cloudy morning.

rendered all individual tracks. 

mix in studio one3.

amp, chorus reverb to send reverb guitar track.

filterjam(free filter effect) to base guitar track. i didnt think anything but born atomosphic noise chord. 

i changed my mind. no mix each tracks. use them indepedence. 

many sounds i used so really mess. need arrange and cut. dirty room makes me poor. i hate poor¥

ozon7 exciter,Redlight dust, multiband comp, to melody loop.

some dislike clip noise(no good phased). so used tone change effect Morphit.

then connected side chain comp to drum track.

imager and e-bassphere chorus to white noise. its like misty.

Red3comp(max compress) and Bitcrasher(8-bit) to flipped drum track . because too tight and subtle.

multiband comp to simple drum track to pump up kick and snare. comp100~1k, up gain 50Hz(little bit) then up all Hzs make up gain . - ozones vintage limiter. (studio ones multi comp is cold tone. so to make it warm).

i like warm. 

i felt too simple 808 kick so used groove delay.  some loud 50~1kHz. this is subbass. down gain 50~1k, up 30 by multi band comp. i dont have large speakers. use cheap earphone of philips(6~7$?). this is well listening for low.  

10AM now …hungry…i decided to make SOBA for breakfast.

at first, I need notice the time to boil to make great SOBA.

• Like 3

did a quick flip this morning. had a cocktail gig earlier today and made my pianist do a pass on it with the rhodes before we left. 

started with the bollywood sample and built something around it. 

So the process...

Chop all the samples on the MPC(Touch) (so much quicker these days compared to my XL) make a few loops. [It was close between this and the asian sounding sample but i could only seem to get one loop bouncing on the other]

Export individual tracks then arranged, EQ, mixed in Logic with some subtle FX/processing.

web-digging for "turn your radio up" vocal then into Serato for cuts

recorded the radio page for noise and some hints of vocal then scratched in Serato

Cool idea with the frequency page, kinda gave my beat a slightly DOOM-ish feel, especially with the choice of sample

Maybe 4ish hours all in all because I'm slow

L

• Like 1

HEY, I BECOME UNCLE AGAIN ;) BUT HERE YOU CAN SEE ME IM IN THE COMPETITION! CHECK MY WORK
CHEERS FOLKS

started on this track this afternoon.. everything went intuitively.. as if by itself.. ..is what I call Supercoincidence !

the noises are the bleeps.. when I clicked on noise reduction on  websdr.  and moved the slide to the right, these beeps occured.

the art is by a good friend of mine.. it's for sale..  check'em out here:  kuttlefish.com/shops/madweight ...mine are underway!

pz Joa

Hey there, here is my track. I called it "Sauvage Mode" cause it was too good. Close runner up was "521 Sauvage."

Loved the radio whatsit! I sampled some random screeching on AM frequencies to create a feedback/pad sound that I used in the background of certain portions of the track, as well as a short sample of radio-screech looped over and over to create a kind of "racing polygraph test" sound that goes off in the left monitor sporadically. Cool percussive element that came from something I would not have thought to use had this challenge not come along!

Other than that, I used the first bit of the samples, as well as the horns and creepy piano infused with a lot of reverb, delay etc.  And that one synth bass note you tacked onto the end of the samples? I used it a little. :)