soulREBEL360

R.I.P. David Axelrod

I've heard a few of his tracks here and there, but I've never really put on a full album for some reason until this first Now Again reissue. Man what a record, I've been listening to some of the other ones and this stuff is really amazing. Looking at the discography, it's a shame there isn't a lot here over all the years. Now understanding the very high praise from all the folks who sampled him etc etc. 

12 hours ago, GC90 said:

I've heard a few of his tracks here and there, but I've never really put on a full album for some reason 

Electric Prunes - Mass in F Minor introduced me to Axelrod, though it was years before I understood he was the creative force behind the album - his name appears only in the small print. It remains my favorite psychedelic rock album.  The followup Electric Prunes - Release of an Oath is essential.  

If I understand the timeline correctly, the success of Mass in F Minor directly led to Axelrod's solo albums back on his home label Capitol - Songs of Innocence (just reissued), Songs of Experience, and Earth Rot.  All great records.  

• Like 2

Yeah it was Songs of Innocence reissued on Now Again that got me to check out a whole record, really looking forward to the rest of the re-issues to come out later this year (Songs of Experience/Earth Rot also getting Now Again treatment!). Been listening to all three all week, obsessed with this stuff right now. I was reading about the Electric Prunes one, that's next on my list.

I know a lot of hip hop folks were talking about his influence when he passed, etc but it wasn't until listening to these albums that I realized truly how much of his work has been used over the years. I feel like every other song I'm recognizing stuff I've heard before. I'm still working my way through all the stuff Madlib has shout outs to, wish I had gotten to Axelrod sooner as this stuff is really incredible. 

This one is getting played a ton. Love how it builds up and goes in so many directions in just the 4 mins or so. 

Edit: Shit that's why the name sounded familiar, I forgot I picked this one up awhile back for the Quas sample and didn't realize it was David Axelrod on there too. Looking at Discogs, my earlier comment about smaller discography was forgetting how many production credits he has on all this other stuff too geez lol. This is gonna keep me busy for awhile https://www.discogs.com/artist/5451-David-Axelrod?filter_anv=0&subtype=Production&type=Credits