Mangoes Cash

New (old) Dilla Beat Tape

18 posts in this topic

only one i haven't heard is 160 i think

I'm so not cool.

The first track is fire! I love when his (or any producers) snare is not the star of the mix. That's my one qualm with so many heaters. Dudes push the snare up like it's the godly sound.

1 person likes this

definitely, that one's a classic.

do you guys think this is akin to digging through his trash though? imo i really like the idea of there being several hundred (if not more than a thousand) unreleased beats that will never see the light of an official release...it makes the hunt for those tapes all the more exciting and special.

Saw this but these beats have already been floating around so it's nothing new unfortunately.

definitely, that one's a classic.

do you guys think this is akin to digging through his trash though? imo i really like the idea of there being several hundred (if not more than a thousand) unreleased beats that will never see the light of an official release...it makes the hunt for those tapes all the more exciting and special.

If my nieghbour had gold in his bin, I might be inclined to get my hands dirty. Human nature.

didn't Flying Lotus have some quote about an unauthorized release of his shit essentially amounting to someone digging through his trash? lol

1 person likes this

didn't Flying Lotus have some quote about an unauthorized release of his shit essentially amounting to someone digging through his trash? lol

Yah... something like that.

Whatever man.

#thumbsup!

Bit confusing how they're compiling beats together from totally different eras. Also on these recent Dilla releases their way to extend tracks by relooping is a hit or miss, like of all parts to loop they choose the sequence with a kick dropping out.

Well, at least they don't have random rappers featuring on these...

Apparently Ne'astra Music put out some Slum gems too, called 'Slum Village Vol. 0'.

...it doesn't include The World's Full of Saddness...

1 person likes this

1 person likes this

On 12/9/2016 at 11:45 AM, Jubito said:

Saw this but these beats have already been floating around so it's nothing new unfortunately.

Would you think differently about the music itself if not for the fact you'd already heard + had access to it before their official release? 

Hasn't ceased to amaze me how many posthumous Dilla projects there's been + the fact there's things we've all had access to for years that haven't surfaced officially yet is remarkable.  

I'm curious as to what the ideal posthumous Dilla project would be in your guys' eyes?  We've all taken exception to, in one way or another, some of the posthumous releases.  Is there a right way to release a posthumous record or would it be best to just leave a lone?  Surely there's a balance, right?

Guess I'd prefer if the tapes were simply released just as Dilla originally compiled and sequenced them. No questionable relooping of his work, and no jumps between totally different eras.

Let Dave Cooley and folks do the mastering, seal the deal with a booklet of Questlove breaking down every track.

Bong bong.

3 people like this

Dilla beat tapes on Apple Music = Mostly sped-up versions of beats already "used" by somebody on other posthumous Dilla albums and random Youtube channels.  I appreciate it, though

On 01. 05. 2017. at 3:37 AM, OfficeTime8889 said:

Would you think differently about the music itself if not for the fact you'd already heard + had access to it before their official release? 

It depends, hard to tell, but I know that none of these compilations can bring out what the OG Dilla tapes had, it was raw organic with all the mixing between songs, interludes, his mixing and equalizing and the arrangement as a whole....nowadays these compilations contain beats that were made in different eras of his production work and they just don't bring out what all the tapes he himself had put out did. But don't take me wrong, I check out all of the new releases, especially because you always find at least 1 or 2 new beats, so I appreciate that.

1 person likes this