ST Bot

One Year Vinyl Subscription

eb36f311fc887f53e7087117d2357f7d.gif

We're trying out our first vinyl subscription. It's pretty simple: 1 year subscription for every record we release on vinyl, plus flat-rate shipping. (The shipping rate is pretty sweet if you're in the US, not so sweet if you're overseas.) We're trying this out only through the end of December 2016.

http://stonesthrow.com/subscribe

Our first vinyl release of 2017 will be Madlib's Jaylib Remixes – first time on vinyl, plus an original, previously unreleased Dilla & Madlib track called "Da Ruckus"

• Like 2

Man I wish you guys had done this awhile back, I'm mostly out of vinyl these days. With that said, very cool idea and I think it's a fair price you're charging, especially on the shipping.

One question, will all the content in this subscription be covered by Drip? Or will Drip folks miss out on any exclusives? Maybe you can't say now or not sure, but it'd be a bummer to miss out on any goodies.

Can I ask why you're getting out of wax GC? I'm currently in the process of liquidating most of my records.

I have a ton of reasons, most of which actually don't apply to anything Stones Throw has done and whatnot. Basically I was getting tired of trying to keep up my collection with increasing prices (thanks to Daft Punk for making $40 a new standard price), lower quality pressings, everything being 'limited edition' so you miss out on stuff if you don't pre-order, and just trying to store and move a bunch with everything I own. Add on top of this a big chunk of my collection was growing in value, it was a no brainer to cash out while the 'vinyl fad' is still going before it turns into baseball cards and beanie baby value. Not saying vinyl is a fad, but the sudden increase in everyone blowing so much money on this stuff is part of that 'trend', I was selling stuff I paid $5-10 for at like $50-60 which is nuts. I spent some of the money I made on a high quality digital setup and I've been very happy so far. Places like Bandcamp and Stones Throw's Drip have been fantastic for getting those lossless files that sound pretty great. Maybe not the same 'warmth' as vinyl, but it is crystal clear and doesn't ever suffer from poor quality pressings which had been the case with a lot of new vinyl I'd purchased in recent years. I can also back up my stuff a million times so I never lose it in a fire or have it stolen or have it degrade over time. I still check out record shows and shops and buy old and interesting stuff on the cheap side though. When the 'vinyl fad' dies out too, I may end up just getting back into collecting.

tl;dr version: Got tired of the bullshit you go through collecting records these days lol

None of this really applies to Stones Throw though imo, they're one of the few labels keeping prices reasonable and also maintaining some form of quality control on the pressings. I think this vinyl subscription is a very fair deal and if I was still in my collecting days it'd have been a no brainer for me to sign up.

will all the content in this subscription be covered by Drip? Or will Drip folks miss out on any exclusives? Maybe you can't say now or not sure, but it'd be a bummer to miss out on any goodies.

This subscription is all the vinyl we release, which is most of our records.

Drip is all the digital we release, which is all of our records, with very rare exceptions like Knxwledge's vinyl-only "Side D" from Hud Dreems. Most of the time they're the same releases.

• Like 1

I have a ton of reasons, most of which actually don't apply to anything Stones Throw has done and whatnot. Basically I was getting tired of trying to keep up my collection with increasing prices (thanks to Daft Punk for making $40 a new standard price), lower quality pressings, everything being 'limited edition' so you miss out on stuff if you don't pre-order, and just trying to store and move a bunch with everything I own. Add on top of this a big chunk of my collection was growing in value, it was a no brainer to cash out while the 'vinyl fad' is still going before it turns into baseball cards and beanie baby value. Not saying vinyl is a fad, but the sudden increase in everyone blowing so much money on this stuff is part of that 'trend', I was selling stuff I paid $5-10 for at like $50-60 which is nuts. I spent some of the money I made on a high quality digital setup and I've been very happy so far. Places like Bandcamp and Stones Throw's Drip have been fantastic for getting those lossless files that sound pretty great. Maybe not the same 'warmth' as vinyl, but it is crystal clear and doesn't ever suffer from poor quality pressings which had been the case with a lot of new vinyl I'd purchased in recent years.

lol, this is these are the exact same reasons my dad gave up vinyl in the 80s. i always used to cringe when he said he sold his whole collection for like 200 bucks, if he had saved it it would have been worth thousands today. But i understand. Apparently the record industry has always been corrupt and shitty, who would have thought? He tells stories about how the quality of records was getting so shitty, and despite that they were still going up in price. Too much space taken up in his house too, lol. Time is a flat circle

• Like 2

Anyone else pick this up? If the release schedule continues to be around 16, then this subscription would cost $18.75 per release with media shipping or $21.88 with priority shipping.

The SOS Tape/LP release hasn't been part of this so far... it was the OH NO edition of UBB.

Honestly, I'm not sure if The SOS Tape will be included, as it probably falls under the "back catalog" heading.  Which is a shame... it's freakin' spectacular from what I've heard of it! 

ultimate-breaks-beats-ohno.jpg

Any word on if this joint is included?

tuxedo-thank-you-45.jpg

On 4/18/2017 at 6:47 AM, Oramas said:

Any word on if this joint is included?

tuxedo-thank-you-45.jpg

Yes, it is included.  Mine arrived today with the new Homeboy Sandman.

Edited by The Kelvis
Not sure why this double posted... (shrug)

21 hours ago, The Kelvis said:

as did mine. good stuff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Kelvis said:

Here's hoping Lice Two is finally shipping with DJ Harrison in June.  (fingers crossed)

Lice II is Aesop Rock & Sandman's own thing, not a Stones Throw label release, not a part of the subscription.  DJ Harrison is of course.  Vinyl is expected in July.

got spoiled the first few months, releases slowed down lately. 

Hey ST Bot!

In your description for the new 2018 subscription, you say that Mild High Club was part of the 2017 releases.  It was not. Unfortunately.

I'm so bummed the 2017 subscription-eers don't qualify for Pizza Party!  Oh well.  Thanks for the fun this year, ST.