Sign in to follow this  
James Frank.

SP Repairs?

hey guys.

i tried a very long time ago to repair my 303's CTRL 3 knob that was loose (those who use them know how catastrophic this issue is, since that controls the velocity of every sample). i couldn't find anywhere online, decided to take it to a music shop (again, NOT a shop that specializes in this...just a guy who sells actual instruments that kinda knew how to solder)...basically, he made the problem worse by fixing the knob physically without solving the underlying digital issue. back when i was making beats regularly i would literally have to hold the knob down and press hard in a very specific spot to get an accurate reading...otherwise it would just go from 0 to 127 and everywhere in between at random, making MFX and adjusting of sample pad volumes nearly impossible for me.

at some point i bought a used 404SX, and it worked just fine...until one day it randomly died out on me. still doesn't work to this day, i never really got to mess with it (it doesn't work with either batteries or a/c cord).

tl;dr i'm wondering if someone has recognized the market demand and created a repair business for these types of samplers. Roland doesn't offer any kind of repair service, regardless of warranty status -- and Boss, their off-shoot brand, essentially doesn't even exist anymore in an official capacity. i really would like to start making stuff on those devices again, but i can't really do much with either because of the reasons i explained above...

and if there isn't a repair shop, is there someone out there that really knows their shit i can trust with sending my babies to for repairs? i mean, i might as well if that's my only option -- these things are collecting dust, and i can't even sell them unless it's at a huge markdown for parts. any help would be appreciated.

as far as the sp303 pot going bad, that is a common issue and can replaced with this potentiometer - http://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/ALPS/RK09K1130ACL/?qs=6EGMNY9ZYDQzEvxfrSIq9A%3D%3D

the guy who repaired yours the first time just soldered the contacts back together, but the actual pot is bad and needs to be replaced

-----------------------------

and as far as the 404sx not powering up, that is more than likely a faulty capacitor issue, from someone trying to use a 3rd party AC adapter and not the original... or a faulty OS and needs to be re-flashed by roland (gotta send it in)

• Like 2

as far as the sp303 pot going bad, that is a common issue and can replaced with this potentiometer - http://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/ALPS/RK09K1130ACL/?qs=6EGMNY9ZYDQzEvxfrSIq9A%3D%3D

the guy who repaired yours the first time just soldered the contacts back together, but the actual pot is bad and needs to be replaced

-----------------------------

and as far as the 404sx not powering up, that is more than likely a faulty capacitor issue, from someone trying to use a 3rd party AC adapter and not the original... or a faulty OS and needs to be re-flashed by roland (gotta send it in)

but i thought they weren't even accepting repairs anymore. are they? and i'm aware of the potentiometer thing -- thanks for the link though, i've been looking for it again for a while now. the problem is that i don't trust myself with learning how to make these repairs myself, i'd rather just pay someone else to do it for me but it all comes back to the fact that no such repair business exists, even just as some guy on a forum who knows how to do it.

i definitely think you could unsolder and resolder 3 contacts. that replacement will fix the 303. the 404 is going to be the more expensive project. but, if you dont want to mess with unscrewing and putting everything back together, either hit up maddmann or check out a roland service center

http://www.rolandus.com/support/service_repair/service_centers

--------------------------

or, kinda expensive, send it in to the main service center in ontario CA

http://www.rolandus.com/support/service_request/?_ga=1.93157981.1974949560.1481939082

"Once received, our service technicians will inspect your product and contact you with an estimate of the repair costs. Our shop rate for Roland and BOSS products—other than Compact and Twin pedals—is $80.00 per hour (billed in 15-minute increments). For BOSS Compact and Twin pedals, our shop rate is $40.00 per hour (billed in 15-minute increments).

Please note that a $25.00 bench fee plus return freight costs will be assessed if you do not proceed with the repair, or if a unit is received and no problem is found by our technicians."

lol so basically it's cheaper to just turn these into postmodern garbage art than it is to fix them. oh well...the 303's mostly functioning at least. if i feel brave some day maybe i'll try the soldering myself -- but i guess i just have to accept that the samplers i bought are both duds.

• Like 1

My 303 has a issue where i gotta wiggle the power cable. I hit up my local synth shop (Perfect Circuit Audio) saying they can repair it most likely. They might be able to do a mail in type thing.

• Like 2

roland/boss service centers in denver:

MUSICIANS CUSTOM ELE

1559 S BROADWAY
DENVER, CO 80210
(303) 668-2122

• Carry-in service on Roland and BOSS products

ELITE SOUND

3535 S PLATTE RIVER DR #A
ENGLEWOOD, CO 80110
(303) 781-6667

• Carry-in service on Roland and BOSS products