Sign in to follow this  
GPBear

Teenage Engineering OP-1

Yo guys, I think this is gonna be the new wave.

Any of you fuqqed with it? It's too expensive for me, but I have a feeling this is what the cool kids are gonna be using at their shows for the next couple years:

• Like 2

Any of you fuqqed with it? It's too expensive for me, but I have a feeling this is what the cool kids rich hipsters are gonna be using at their shows for the next couple years:

• Like 1

this thing does look pretty dope i admit but fuck isn't it like 800 dollars???

• Like 1

this thing does look pretty dope i admit but fuck isn't it like 800 dollars???

Yeah but it's an all in one synth/sampler/sequencer with a 16 hour battery life and it could fit in your pocket... Plus it has a built in radio tuner that you can sample directly off of... Considering native instruments and ableton charge that price for what is essentially a midi controller... I actually think it's fairly reasonable. I'm considering getting one as a gift to myself.

I had one of these for like two weeks. It's dope and sounds pretty decent with some stuff. But I couldn't get over the fact that it's limited to 4 tracks, and you only get 12 seconds of sampling time, but there is an easy workaround for that. I don't even know if you'd call it a workaround, you just have to sample more of the sample to another instrument, but you can then lay them both on the same track. The thing that reaaallllly disappointed me, is that it just sounds too digital, as well as kinda thin. The effects are kinda cool, but more just a novelty than actually practical. I bought mine brand new for $725 at guitar center, and these things go out of stock everywhere all the time, so I waited and sold it used for $825. So all in all, I'm happy I bought one (then sold it). 

Maybe I'm just being an old man about shit, but for the money I'd sooner go for a 1000 with the JJ OS and grab a generator if I really needed to use it outdoors ;)

I use iMaschine or iMPC on the 2 garbage iPhone 4s I picked up in trades for records. MidiBridge them up with a Synthstation and Animoog or an iRig and Filtatron and all is well with the portable world

I'm using the OP-1, got it a month ago. I'm loving it. It lets me go from idea to beat very fast. You can check some of the stuff I do at my instagram @odd_goons

https://gramosphere.com/odd_goons/4546076369/

I will be adding a SP404 to my setup though. I miss the effects of that lil beast. But all in all I like the OP alot. Also, portable (!!!) is a huga win for me.

Cheers

I stared at this bastard for 2 years before catching it on sale at B&H Photo, for the regular price of the OP-1 plus a free Volca Bass. I've had it since Winter of 2014. I might have used it 8 hours in the first 6 months. It was weird trying to get use to building tracks on it. Way different than anything I've ever used. They streamlined the whole thing, which is nice when you figure it out how to use it, you can build shit on it real fast and resample from any mode your in. It has a ton of pros and cons, and hidden features that you may never figure out the whole time you own it. I imagine everyone that has owned one has loved it and hated it at the same time. Like most of the small portable machines, it's really geared towards EDM. All the synth engines are really where it's at on this machine. Both samplers are limited. One for drums/chops and the synth sampler is for pitching one shots across the keys. The drum sampler, you get 12 secs per patch, which you can delete all the presets and store about 25, 12 second long patches total. It auto chops what you record or paste into the drum sampler and you use the knobs move the start and stop points. The playback modes are one shot, gated, or loop. On every chop you can assign pitch and play forward/reverse. It doesn't have any advanced shit like mute group or time stretch. In the synth sampler you get 6 secs per patch. It takes memory out of how many synth patches you can store and doesn't affect sampling time on drum patches. The synth sampler has some nice features and the pitching is real clean. You can take one shots and turn them into instruments easy. It sounds really limited on sampling time, but you can record 6 mins straight to all 4 tracks in tape mode and 6 mins on the A and B side in album mode. It has ADSR envelopes and LFO's for every patch you load, synth or drum. You can do some crazy shit with the LFO on some chops and change the routing to make it affect the effects. The effects are pretty limited also, there are some that you will probably never use if you make hip hop. No side chain compression, but you can kinda emulate it. There's only a 3 band EQ on the master, no EQ on the individual tracks. You either have to use the filter (HP, LP, BP) or resample from the master. Everything you record/sample into it gets turned to mono then processed in stereo effects. It's 24-bit, so the effect are more detailed than a SP-404. All the sequencers are crazy and some of them make absolutely no sense. Tape mode is pretty nice, you can set loop points on the fly. I watched a video of a guy rocking a hour long set with just 4 tracks, 6 mins long. Over all the OP-1 is built like a tank, your not gonna break this thing unless your a bull in a china shop. I would put the engineering right next to the Tech 1200's. The battery will probably last for 15+ years if you keep it charged. I'm not a big fan of the graphical interface, I rather know what this knob does instead of having some design flashing on the screen, then later having to look it up in the manual if you can't remember. Oh, the company wants you to "save the world" by not letting you print the manual, online only. But they do release a OS update about every 2 years, that adds new functions, effects and presets. All in all, if you chop samples to make beats, I would not buy it. For that price you can get something with a lot more options and less of the "cool guy" flashy shit. If you are into synths and want a small portable one with some extra bells and whistles, it might be a good buy, still pricey though. The resale value seems to be staying high though. The OP-1 is kinda like a good girlfriend that's fun to hang out with, she buys you gifts and let's you smash whenever, but she's not really into BJ's.

• Like 1