Sign in to follow this  
MicESanzMusic

DAW Discussion

Sierra? ewwwww... (just kidding)

I tried using the FL Studio mac or even FL Studio windows with wine or some others apps.

but anyway, you installed windows 10 using boot camp or just parallels? I've been thinking about that but I'm not sure yet...

Either Boot Camp or Parallels will work, but if you still want to use your Mac while running Windows Parallels is the way to go

• Like 1

I love Logic and I love FL Studio. Which is sad because there is no Logic for windows and no FL for mac, so I can't have both on the same operational system.

Ableton is cool too, but never got used to making tracks with it, I don't like it's layout much.

Why do you use both FL Studio and Logic? Why hasn't one stood out to you more than the other and become your main DAW?

• Like 1

Either Boot Camp or Parallels will work, but if you still want to use your Mac while running Windows Parallels is the way to go

I'll give it a try, thanks a lot man.

Why do you use both FL Studio and Logic? Why hasn't one stood out to you more than the other and become your main DAW?

Well, I actually use only Logic right now, but I started out in FL. I used FL in a terrible computer, when I switched, I bought a macbook, so no FL for me, got used to Logic instead, but still have lots of love for FL.

And even though I got used to Logic and I can produce anything with Logic, I went to a dude's house while he was producing on FL Studio to help him out with some stuff and damn...I'm still faster producing on FL, after all those years. I still love that piano roll more.

I'll give it a try, thanks a lot man.

Well, I actually use only Logic right now, but I started out in FL. I used FL in a terrible computer, when I switched, I bought a macbook, so no FL for me, got used to Logic instead, but still have lots of love for FL.

And even though I got used to Logic and I can produce anything with Logic, I went to a dude's house while he was producing on FL Studio to help him out with some stuff and damn...I'm still faster producing on FL, after all those years. I still love that piano roll more.

Bro, I'm finna shed a tear. ?

I started with SF Acid back in the 90s and then went to Ableton a few years ago after using it for live work for a while. A friend of mine upgraded to Maschine Mk2 and gave me his old Mk1, which is fun, but makes me miss my 2000XL more than I already did. I use a lot of outboard - monosynths, guitar pedals, bass etc. - and I find Ableton easy to work with on that front. The thing I love the most about it is being able to assign midi functions to different controller buttons and dials. It allows me to play with VST effects live just like I can the guitar pedals. I've never really used most of what comes with it thought - I use Battery for drums, I use Kontakt and Reaktor for sample banks and effects. Reason is dope - one of my friends plays that like a SNES, but I just couldn't get with it the way I did Ableton.

REPPING FRUITYLOOPS EVER SINCE IT WAS CALLED FRUITYLOOPS AND NOT FL = AND I WILL FIGHT YOU 

No but yeah I think a lot of them can do the same things in different ways, and once you learn one, it's gonna be hard to change your mind and learn another one unless you are really committed to switching over

• Like 1

I would say Ableton. It's easy to get into and the effects/instrument/midi rack works smoothly. No pop up plugins.

Renoise!!! Yeah my tool of choice. I find it more precise than ableton for sequencing. I could never go back to a step sequencer.

dude reason is getting vst support

• Like 1

This guy make FL Studio look like the GOAT

On 5/7/2017 at 4:22 AM, Grifty said:

dude reason is getting vst support

yeah dude i feel like hella DAWs are starting to creep up on Pro Tools. It's what I use to record (i don't produce, yet) and it's the industry standard for that but FL Studio and Razer just made a partnership that's huge and now Reason is gunna gain hella ground cause of vst support. Still tho, i feel like Reason lags behind a lot of other DAWs. Their free trial is only 30 days where as Pro Tools, Ableton, FL, and probably hella others have stand alone free versions you could hypothetically use forever.

lol it lags behind because you can't use for free as long?

Just now, Grifty said:

lol it lags behind because you can't use for free as long?

well AND it literally just now got vst support when everybody else has had it for years

On 6/10/2017 at 2:52 PM, MicESanzMusic said:

well AND it literally just now got vst support when everybody else has had it for years

yeah i was wrong I have the 30 day free trial and i've been exploring it and it's definitely not lagging lol. it's pretty dope. when my trial is over i may buy essentials and then the whole thing eventually. 

i've also kinda gotten the idea that it didn't allow VSTs cause it wanted to be it's own standalone thing. still not super knowledgable about Reason in general so idk. i've been eyeing and researching it periodically since about the beginning of the summer.

That's true, the company that makes it didn't want to do vst support for a long ass time because they thought it was too buggy and unnecessary. That's why reason users are bugging out about it now. The thing that's cool about reason is that it's super fun to just shit out some random idea real quick. It's not protools, it doesn't want to be the most serious and professional thing ever, it wants to be fun to use and help you be creative

Update:

So far there's different things i like about Pro Tools Vs. Reason. I have the free version of Pro Tools and the 30 day trial of Reason.

I find Pro Tools much easier to navigate and extremely organized. I know a lot of the key commands by instinct and I feel like it's laid out in an extremely logical manner. However, Pro Tools is really expensive and I'm a rapper who wants to get into production and the instruments that come with Pro Tools are not great haha. At least what I have in Pro Tools First. I can record with ease but I would probably have to buy more plugins to make good instrumental music. Or I would have to buy Pro Tools and then buy Reason essentials or the full Reason and Rewire it in which would be a hassle and there's no way I could afford that outright. I would have to save up and buy things piece by piece over a long period of time.

I think Reason is really pretty and I like the vibe of it. The instruments are really cool and the flow of the DAW feels like playing a game. Pro Tools feels like a science and Reason feels like an art. There's a lot of things I find clunky about Reason tho. To zoom in and out I have to hold command and the plus and minus keys. In Pro Tools I just have to press R and T.  I have to go into the system preferences of my Mac and reassign my F5, F6, and F7 keys because in Reason those keys are how you switch between the different windows. I can't simply press return/enter to jump back to the beginning of the sequencer. Still though I think the loop record and comp editor tool in Reason is really cool and easier/more fun and intuitive to use than the Pro Tools comp function. I feel drawn to Reason but I'm not sure I could continue recording and mixing my raps real well. I feel like it would make that more annoying than it is now.

I'll probably decide by July 4th, when my trial ends.

audio editing is definitely one of reason's weak points.  but sampling and beat making in general, and probably mixing and mastering too, are all very strong.  i don't know if you've tried flstudio or ableton, but those are both very well regarded as well.  there's one called studio one that's new-ish, and apparently the workflow is like something of a cross between reason and ableton.  to each his own!  i kinda just randomly bought reason when i was a teenager and have stuck with it out of habit tbh

21 hours ago, Grifty said:

audio editing is definitely one of reason's weak points.  but sampling and beat making in general, and probably mixing and mastering too, are all very strong.  i don't know if you've tried flstudio or ableton, but those are both very well regarded as well.  there's one called studio one that's new-ish, and apparently the workflow is like something of a cross between reason and ableton.  to each his own!  i kinda just randomly bought reason when i was a teenager and have stuck with it out of habit tbh

throughout my journey as a musician i've been exposed to Pro Tools by far the most and then Reason is a fairly distant second but then third and so on is also very distant from Reason. I thought the aesthetic and the vibe of Reason was nice so i just watched a shit ton of videos on it and learned how to navigate and the general premise of it but I feel like it takes too long for me to do what I want to do and I don't feel like it fits my work flow well enough. i can bop around Pro Tools no problem but i can see how electronic music in Pro Tools is limited.

FL Studio looks fucking lit honestly i watch tutorials of that shit as well and i would love to try it but I have a Mac and i don't want to jump the hurdles of getting it to work here. Image Line is working on FL for Mac but it's in Alpha testing right now. I still watch BusyWorksBeats and AcesToAces videos when I'm chilling and Image Line itself has videos where popular producers who use FL like Metro Boomin give tips and tricks and shit and those videos are hella interesting. Image Line has partnered with Razer computers so Razer users get FL for free so i expect to see FL boom in popularity over the next few years and beyond.

Ableton I just have no experience at all with. I've never encountered it naturally in my life and that coupled with the fact it's an abstract work flow intimidates me. I do see myself migrating to a loop based DAW such as Ableton or FL in the nearish future but right now i think i'm gunna stick with Pro Tools for a while. It's free and although I want to make beats i've basically just started production but I've been rapping for 7 years so it's extremely important I can record my raps and that's what Pro Tools allows me to do.

No diss to Reason though it's a fantastic software. My Audio school teaches it in the upper levels of Electronic music and it's a core class so you may see me here in a year or less praising it as the best DAW ever lmao. We'll see.

Also I've looked at Studio One and it just hasn't really pulled me in. No diss, i'm sure it's a great DAW but it just didn't spark my interest personally.

yeah i was just thinking now that FL has a partnership and will soon have a Mac version, it's definitely going to explode over the next couple years. It's already popular and that popularity may be increasing exponentially. It may become a top DAW(G), more than it is already.

remember this post in 2-4 years when everybody is using FL lmao

22 hours ago, soulREBEL360 said:

The latest Maschine update improved my workflow damn near 50%.

what was the update? I gotta friend who uses Maschine and he swears by it. 

They added what reminds me of the "clip view" from Ableton Live where you can pretty much use it as a playground to build your components.  Shift/Scene will show/hide this view.  It lets me build my beat components prior to building the actual beat.  I can see folks with the Maschine Jam using this feature a lot.

I use Ableton Live and found that it is quite convenient to be able to do everything within the software from single ideas to finished mastered tracks. If you find a way that fits you, you can use it for live sets and even dj sets and mixes, which is great to have - I think.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 10:14 AM, Lawani said:

I use Ableton Live and found that it is quite convenient to be able to do everything within the software from single ideas to finished mastered tracks. If you find a way that fits you, you can use it for live sets and even dj sets and mixes, which is great to have - I think.

I've thought about one day trying Ableton but for now i'm gunna cop Pro Tools. I'm saving up for it right now. A producer I collaborate with a lot uses Ableton and he loves it.

On 9/27/2017 at 12:01 AM, soulREBEL360 said:

They should buy Acid Pro from Sony and run with it. 

looks like they're just gunna make a whole new one from scratch 

9 hours ago, MicESanzMusic said:

looks like they're just gunna make a whole new one from scratch 

Acid Pro used to be the shit back in the day.  I hated that Sony just stopped developing it.  Didn't Danger Mouse produce DangerDoom on it? I remember reading an article about it

2 hours ago, soulREBEL360 said:

Acid Pro used to be the shit back in the day.  I hated that Sony just stopped developing it.  Didn't Danger Mouse produce DangerDoom on it? I remember reading an article about it

idk. i haven't heard much about Acid Pro. that's a shame tho. a DAW that you really fuck with is hard to come by. 

im actually in the process of switching to Logic Pro X. it seems good and it seems like Apple will keep up with it. i doubt they'd discontinue it but the possibility is in the back of my mind.