Sign in to follow this  
MicESanzMusic

DAW Discussion

What is everybody's favorite DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)? (Pro Tools, Reason, Bitwig, Ableton, Cubase, Audacity, Logic, etc.?)

What do you like about it? Dislike?

When you get it set up the way you want its a beast. I only use a handful of plugins, and for the most part it was my host DAW for my 2kXL and microKORG when I had them. I found it easier to work with using the controller that Akai made for it (i was using the APC20). I've been on Maschine for the past couple weeks so after I learn the ins and outs of this new toy I'm integrating it into Ableton. The only real issue that I had with it was the learning curve. There's TONS of plugins so spending quality time with each one of them is the way to go.

When you get it set up the way you want its a beast. I only use a handful of plugins, and for the most part it was my host DAW for my 2kXL and microKORG when I had them. I found it easier to work with using the controller that Akai made for it (i was using the APC20). I've been on Maschine for the past couple weeks so after I learn the ins and outs of this new toy I'm integrating it into Ableton. The only real issue that I had with it was the learning curve. There's TONS of plugins so spending quality time with each one of them is the way to go.

Yeah I heard that it's really hard to use but once you get good with it it's real tight. A lot of people said it's geared towards EDM mostly but I know cats like Flying Lotus use it. People I've asked irl say it isn't user friendly at all. Maybe they just weren't motivated enough to learn it since it's not taught in our school. I'm a Music Industry major and we learn mostly Pro Tools but in the higher up Electronic Music classes they teach us Reason. Ableton and Logic come with all the computers in the studios and labs as well so i'm wondering if i should try to become proficient with Ableton on my own time or just stick with Reason cause that's what's taught.

If you wanna work as an engineer you should learn all them shits. If you just wanna make beats for fun/love/passion/art/to get famous then focus on one or two and then focus on the music. That's my two cents

If you wanna work as an engineer you should learn all them shits. If you just wanna make beats for fun/love/passion/art/to get famous then focus on one or two and then focus on the music. That's my two cents

I'm an artist so I'm looking for a DAW or two to become my home. I agree that Engineers would only benefit from understanding them all (and the kind of curious technological mind Engineers have seems to push them to explore them all anyway) but as far as recording live instruments/vocals, mixing, and mastering go, Pro Tools is the industry standard and from what I've seen and heard, is so because it's the best for that. Anybody reading this who is looking to be an engineer would probably benefit from having at least a brief understanding of multiple DAWs but you MUST know Pro Tools in and out and it must be your main DAW otherwise you're fucking yourself. UNLESS you for some reason are in love with something else but, still. Pro Tools reigns supreme for Engineering as far as I know. If you only know Pro Tools you would still be fine. If you don't know Pro Tools, 9 out of 10 or more studios won't hire you. If you were free lance/independent a lot of artists might think it's weird you don't use Pro Tools.

For instrumental composition, Pro Tools isn't designed for that so you'll probably be better off with something like Reason, Ableton, or Logic. You can make beats in Pro Tools, as you can record vocals and instruments in other DAWs, but Logic, Reason, and Ableton are geared more for composition and Pro Tools is geared more for Engineering. I know a kid who makes beats in Logic and takes the stems to an engineer who uses Pro Tools and gets them mixed for him.

TLDR: Engineers use Pro Tools. Beat makers use Logic, Ableton, Reason, etc. GENERALLY.

I graduated with a BS in Audio Production. & Yes, you need to know how to use Pro Tools if you're going to work in a professional studio with boutique audio gear. Most bedroom producers use Logic or Reason (I've heard FlyLo actually switched to Reason a while ago), but if you're recording actual live bands, Pro Tools is the leader, and has been for yeeaarrrss.

Also, learning how to use a patchbay, proper mic technique, & use of mixers/hardware is essential.

But honestly, if you understand a DAW well enough, you can use anything

I graduated with a BS in Audio Production. & Yes, you need to know how to use Pro Tools if you're going to work in a professional studio with boutique audio gear. Most bedroom producers use Logic or Reason (I've heard FlyLo actually switched to Reason a while ago), but if you're recording actual live bands, Pro Tools is the leader, and has been for yeeaarrrss.

Also, learning how to use a patchbay, proper mic technique, & use of mixers/hardware is essential.

But honestly, if you understand a DAW well enough, you can use anything

How long ago did you hear that about Flylo? Mac Miller has a lyric in SDS where he says "Flylo still tryna put me onto Ableton."

Verse 2]

Sipping Jameson like I was majored in whiskey flavouring

When I'm drunk, I'll cut your head off and leave it dangling

FlyLo's still tryna put me on to Ableton

SDS came out a while ago so maybe he switched to Reason since then.

Flying lotus has been on record almost his entire career basically saying he loves reason for making music & creativity, and even for mixing, and loves ableton for the live instrument feel it has, the vst support, and playing his sets

You can practically hear malstrom and Thor all over 1983 and las Angeles, as well as liberal usage of reasons phaser and the tape setting on skream.

• Like 1

Flying lotus has been on record almost his entire career basically saying he loves reason for making music & creativity, and even for mixing, and loves ableton for the live instrument feel it has, the vst support, and playing his sets

You can practically hear malstrom and Thor all over 1983 and las Angeles, as well as liberal usage of reasons phaser and the tape setting on skream.

Yeah now that you say that it probably makes sense that Flylo wouldn't limit himself to one DAW. I'm not insanely familiar with his work beyond Duality and random songs I've listened to puttering around on YouTube.

With that said though, in official interviews and shit he's always stood by the "use whatever you got" sentiment, saying it's more about the music than the tools

• Like 1

After coming from maschine I tried Logic Pro and Ableton but wasn't feelin either. Picked up a demo of studio one and fell in love. Work flow is so intuitive and the mixing is on par with pro tools. The whole DAW is based on a drag and drop system so you can throw things around quickly, great for creating.

After coming from maschine I tried Logic Pro and Ableton but wasn't feelin either. Picked up a demo of studio one and fell in love. Work flow is so intuitive and the mixing is on par with pro tools. The whole DAW is based on a drag and drop system so you can throw things around quickly, great for creating.

I've been hearing soooooo much about Studio One lately. How much is it? How similar is it to Pro Tools? My school teaches mostly Pro Tools with a bit of Reason (*EDIT* And actually a live music class on Ableton *END EDIT*) so if I do change eventually ill probably look for something familiar to what I've learned.

Also why did you stop using maschine? I know a guy who won't touch anything else.

I've been hearing soooooo much about Studio One lately. How much is it? How similar is it to Pro Tools? My school teaches mostly Pro Tools with a bit of Reason so if I do change eventually ill probably look for something familiar to what I've learned.

Also why did you stop using maschine? I know a guy who won't touch anything else.

Not sure on the RRP because I had a mate who already had a copy and gave me one of his 5 serial keys... So I kinda got it for free lol. It's very similar to pro tools because it was originally marketed as a pro tools alternative. That is ofcourse before people realised it was a super powerful creation tool also. Like it's already been said everyone is different and you may have to try a few before one "clicks" but I definitely felt comfortable with studio one instantly... That's after trying to wrap my head around logic and ableton for a couple of months.

I switched because I was finding maschine very restrictive. It simply isn't designed for full track arrangements. It's a sequencer, essentially. You can't flesh out full tracks and the mixing is pretty useless. It's a great sketch pad for getting ideas down quickly but ultimately you'll need a DAW to finish most projects off. I initially tried studio one because I heard it worked really nicely when pairing with Maschine as a VST (which it did) but after playing around in studio one I barely touch the maschine anymore... I make most my shit now simply with a mouse and keyboard which is actually kind of liberating cause I can make tunes wherever I go without having to lug around a controller....

• Like 1

Not sure on the RRP because I had a mate who already had a copy and gave me one of his 5 serial keys... So I kinda got it for free lol. It's very similar to pro tools because it was originally marketed as a pro tools alternative. That is ofcourse before people realised it was a super powerful creation tool also. Like it's already been said everyone is different and you may have to try a few before one "clicks" but I definitely felt comfortable with studio one instantly... That's after trying to wrap my head around logic and ableton for a couple of months.

I switched because I was finding maschine very restrictive. It simply isn't designed for full track arrangements. It's a sequencer, essentially. You can't flesh out full tracks and the mixing is pretty useless. It's a great sketch pad for getting ideas down quickly but ultimately you'll need a DAW to finish most projects off. I initially tried studio one because I heard it worked really nicely when pairing with Maschine as a VST (which it did) but after playing around in studio one I barely touch the maschine anymore... I make most my shit now simply with a mouse and keyboard which is actually kind of liberating cause I can make tunes wherever I go without having to lug around a controller....

That sounds dope. I'm definitely curious when it comes to DAWs, I wanna sample as many as I can and i'll definitely check out the demo. I was always under the Impression the heavy hitters were Pro Tools, Reason, Ableton, and Logic but over the past few days Studio One has come up in conversation a lot. Pro Tools is what is clicking with me so for mixing and recording I can see myself sticking with it. Still on the market for something to make beats tho. You think Studio One stacks up with Ableton/Reason/Logic in that regard? I'll definitely look into it.

I personally love and fux wit reason 100% but then again i suk ass

yeah i came from using an mpc 2000 for 8 years before trying maschine which at the time i found liberating but now as you have mentioned i find it restricting,i dunno the sound seems to be paper thin and the sequencer is horrible, im just using it to program in loops now, chop shit up etc i have ableton but cant get my head round it, i also have reaper which is very easy to use

• Like 1

That sounds dope. I'm definitely curious when it comes to DAWs, I wanna sample as many as I can and i'll definitely check out the demo. I was always under the Impression the heavy hitters were Pro Tools, Reason, Ableton, and Logic but over the past few days Studio One has come up in conversation a lot. Pro Tools is what is clicking with me so for mixing and recording I can see myself sticking with it. Still on the market for something to make beats tho. You think Studio One stacks up with Ableton/Reason/Logic in that regard? I'll definitely look into it.

well i never got to the level with ableton/logic of completing full beats just because i wasn't invested in learning their UI enough to figure out what I was doing haha so I guess if you ask me if it stacks up I'd say yes but then again, that's pretty subjective. I can verify the stock compressor side-chain is ful lit tho...

yeah i came from using an mpc 2000 for 8 years before trying maschine which at the time i found liberating but now as you have mentioned i find it restricting,i dunno the sound seems to be paper thin and the sequencer is horrible, im just using it to program in loops now, chop shit up etc i have ableton but cant get my head round it, i also have reaper which is very easy to use

yeah man so true... it felt a lot of the times I was working against maschine to get want I wanted... once you learn a DAW it really shows you what you were missing. But i never regretted getting maschine, I think it's the perfect watered down version of a DAW for beginners to get started on creating and powerful enough in the right hands to be beastly... Just for me it always felt like I was missing out on so much by ONLY using maschine. Check out a demo of studio one man... you might like it, it plays nice with maschine too

yeah man so true... it felt a lot of the times I was working against maschine to get want I wanted... once you learn a DAW it really shows you what you were missing. But i never regretted getting maschine, I think it's the perfect watered down version of a DAW for beginners to get started on creating and powerful enough in the right hands to be beastly... Just for me it always felt like I was missing out on so much by ONLY using maschine. Check out a demo of studio one man... you might like it, it plays nice with maschine too

yeah well maschine was my first leap into using a computer for making tracks i had a bit of a phobia of just sitting there clicking a mouse, nowdays besides triggering sounds via maschines pads im pretty much just using the mouse

had a look at the studio one demo earlier yeah it does look good i just dont have 300 bones to drop on a copy, reaper was like 60!

I personally love and fux wit reason 100% but then again i suk ass

Reason is very colorful and nice to look at but every time I go to try to learn it it just feels overstimulating. Could be because this is my first semester and I'm really just starting to sink my teeth into Pro Tools so it would be an overload anyway to try to learn another DAW from scratch. It's largely possible it will end up being my preferred DAW in conjunction with Pro Tools once I'm less of a noob.

Also, people say Ableton is the best for live music. Does anybody know why that is?

yeah well maschine was my first leap into using a computer for making tracks i had a bit of a phobia of just sitting there clicking a mouse, nowdays besides triggering sounds via maschines pads im pretty much just using the mouse

had a look at the studio one demo earlier yeah it does look good i just dont have 300 bones to drop on a copy, reaper was like 60!

Reaper is dope, I puttered around with it back in my Audacity days. A Studio One Artist purchase is only 100 though, from the link I posted above.

*EDIT* http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S1v3A

Reason is very colorful and nice to look at but every time I go to try to learn it it just feels overstimulating. Could be because this is my first semester and I'm really just starting to sink my teeth into Pro Tools so it would be an overload anyway to try to learn another DAW from scratch. It's largely possible it will end up being my preferred DAW in conjunction with Pro Tools once I'm less of a noob.

Also, people say Ableton is the best for live music. Does anybody know why that is?

Reaper is dope, I puttered around with it back in my Audacity days. A Studio One Artist purchase is only 100 though, from the link I posted above.

*EDIT* http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S1v3A

ahh i see £75 in the uk thats not bad at all, is it fairly simple to use? im computer dumb

Reason is.....a modular tinkering environment. It's built from the ground up to be a little synth machine, and all the DAW features have been added after the fact. With some investment, and a little know how it can become a sampler's dream, but it is tedious to edit audio with, lacks vst support, and has a bunch of user-unfriendly quirks that make it feel stuck in past. It's rock solid though and never crashes

ahh i see £75 in the uk thats not bad at all, is it fairly simple to use? im computer dumb

I've never used it so idk but there's a demo.

Reason is.....a modular tinkering environment. It's built from the ground up to be a little synth machine, and all the DAW features have been added after the fact. With some investment, and a little know how it can become a sampler's dream, but it is tedious to edit audio with, lacks vst support, and has a bunch of user-unfriendly quirks that make it feel stuck in past. It's rock solid though and never crashes

I know Pro Tools isn't popular for making beats but Imma explore Pro Tools capability in that regard first anyway. Everything just makes sense in Pro Tools, at least for me. I'll reserve my judgements of Reason until next year.

Also, I'm getting a Mac somewhat soon and Macs come with GarageBand. Logic is the upgraded version of GarageBand so it's entirely possible I'll just like GarageBand and graduate to Logic whenever I feel like it, if I ever do.

I love Logic and I love FL Studio. Which is sad because there is no Logic for windows and no FL for mac, so I can't have both on the same operational system.

Ableton is cool too, but never got used to making tracks with it, I don't like it's layout much.

I love Logic and I love FL Studio. Which is sad because there is no Logic for windows and no FL for mac, so I can't have both on the same operational system.

Ableton is cool too, but never got used to making tracks with it, I don't like it's layout much.

You can't have both Logic and FL Studio in the same OS, huh? I run them both on a Macbook Pro using Parallels and a Windows 10 install (along side macOS Sierra). But there's an alpha version of FL Studios Mac (native, not wrapped) available for download if you want to try it out. VSTs don't work with it yet plus only a handful of the stock plugins work. And there's still the FL Studios beta (wrapped) that's mostly working.

You can't have both Logic and FL Studio in the same OS, huh? I run them both on a Macbook Pro using Parallels and a Windows 10 install (along side macOS Sierra). But there's an alpha version of FL Studios Mac (native, not wrapped) available for download if you want to try it out. VSTs don't work with it yet plus only a handful of the stock plugins work. And there's still the FL Studios beta (wrapped) that's mostly working.

Sierra? ewwwww... (just kidding)

I tried using the FL Studio mac or even FL Studio windows with wine or some others apps.

but anyway, you installed windows 10 using boot camp or just parallels? I've been thinking about that but I'm not sure yet...