Sign in to follow this  
MicESanzMusic

Favorite Vocal Microphone?

What is everybody's favorite vocal microphone? I just yesterday sampled my friends microphone called the Soyuz Su 017. It's from this new Russian company and it was amazing. I personally own an AT 4040 and it fits my voice nicely. Just curious to see what microphones people use on this forum and would love to hear some cool stories.

Just tried out the AKG C414 with a pop filter that slipped over the whole mic like a sock, sounded wonderful.

Sure SM58
Cheap and works well

Yeah I find the Shure works great as well.

Yeah I've literally heard and read people say that they feel the RØDE NT1-A is the actual best microphone for hip hop vocals. Largely opinion based and voice based I'd imagine. I hear it's sibilant though and my ears are extremely sensitive to esses. If I ever, and I imagine I will, perform on that mic i'll have to utilize the de-esser heavily. Haven't heard much about using it for guitar and percussion but I imagine the clarity is nice and gives punch to percussion. I'll keep that in mind if I ever buy the NT1-A.

Does anybody here regularly employ a de-esser when they mix vocals? I'm new to mixing myself but anytime I work with an engineer I always ask them to use it.

1 U67 (or a U87/ai if you cant find one)

2 Gefell m 1030

3 SM7 (actually affordable)

but honestly, none of these are any good without a proper mic pre. and the top choice for that would be an avalon 737

and if those prices are scary, remember, you can always rent mics!

Yo, facts. I've forgotten the gravity of the mic preamp because for the past few years I've been working with engineers. In High School I just had a little interface and I always wondered why it never sounded full. I also didn't know dick about sound engineering back then so there's that as well.

I've never really done vocal recording before but I've heard the electro voice re20 is a great mic for rap vocals

Blue Yeti is a fucking workhorse for the price of a bag of rice

Possibly the best USB mic on the market. I should've stuck with it in High School, instead I bought a bunch of equipment that was beyond my understanding of how to use lol.

I use the neumann TLM 149 which is a truely great mic for singing but it isn´t quite on point for raps IMHO. I like the SM7 for this, which is pretty affordable too -you need a decent preamp for it tho.

• Like 1

Gotta pop by here and confess my love for the AT 2050. It was my first microphone that I kept (I originally bought a blue yeti but returned it fairly quickly for the AT) and it is still my go to microphone. Probably/definitely one of the main mics i'm going to use throughout my career. Followed or gently preceded by the AT 4040.