Sign in to follow this  
MWBOOGIE

AZ "Do or Die" 20 years later

i was curious as to what the STMB community thought about this event. Particularly, how do you rate him among some of your favorite MCs?

http://www.bet.com/video/20-yrs-ltr/2016/az-doe-or-die/20yrsltr-feat-az-s-doe-or-die-watch-the-full-documentary.html

• Like 1

the documentary was dope! i hope that BET does more shit like this in the future. he's in his own lane when it comes to the art of emceeing ... but i don't consider him one of the best to ever pick up the microphone.

I respect AZ but his flow is always his flow. He puts his flow in every track, regardless of the rhythm of the beat.

I like guys who adjust to the track.

the documentary was dope! i hope that BET does more shit like this in the future. he's in his own lane when it comes to the art of emceeing ... but i don't consider him one of the best to ever pick up the microphone.

Yeah, I agree about the documentary.

You are probably a realist, so I can comprehend your not including him in a list of best emcees.

There seems to always be that one guy in the room that does, however: and currently I'm that dude.

Of course, I remember the times like it was yesterday. Something about his voice and flow kind of encapsulated the time.

There is likely no other mc I can think of that stood out as he did.

Even now, when I listen in to a radio show with a group of others, there is a guy from NYC, a bit younger , who lives and dies by AZ. I know it's no coincidence and completely unsurprising.

To me, he's an answer to Big L in some ways. Both professional as hell-but someone has to take the pole position for the studio folk and rep for the ladies.

He spoke about a lifestyle, but not an entirely bogus lifestyle, I.e. He was like a sociologist, a participant-observer and informed everyone about the life they are trying to lead. Remember this is still '96. People werent whacking off on the computer that much back then.

You could walk outside and see CHino drinking his cafe con leche, helping someone's abuelita across the street a And the homie would fill you in on what's going on in the world.

• Like 1

I love reading posts like this from M Boogie - way more than I do his stuff about Pete 'shoulda put a rock on it and marriedit'

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree about the documentary.

You are probably a realist, so I can comprehend your not including him in a list of best emcees.

There seems to always be that one guy in the room that does, however: and currently I'm that dude.

Of course, I remember the times like it was yesterday. Something about his voice and flow kind of encapsulated the time.

There is likely no other mc I can think of that stood out as he did.

Even now, when I listen in to a radio show with a group of others, there is a guy from NYC, a bit younger , who lives and dies by AZ. I know it's no coincidence and completely unsurprising.

To me, he's an answer to Big L in some ways. Both professional as hell-but someone has to take the pole position for the studio folk and rep for the ladies.

He spoke about a lifestyle, but not an entirely bogus lifestyle, I.e. He was like a sociologist, a participant-observer and informed everyone about the life they are trying to lead. Remember this is still '96. People werent whacking off on the computer that much back then.

You could walk outside and see CHino drinking his cafe con leche, helping someone's abuelita across the street a And the homie would fill you in on what's going on in the world.

He can flow and is tight with out question. I just think he raps his one dimensional style on any dimensional beat. As a vocalist, I think it is wise to blend your performance with the music.

did we ever find out which one he did?

I think it was YO Mama. Pretty sure.

Which what? What are we taking about? Pretty sure it was yo mama tho. peace!

I love reading posts like this from M Boogie - way more than I do his stuff about Pete 'shoulda put a rock on it and marriedit'

Much love.