Sign in to follow this  
solinox

Song Construction

Been making a decent amount of sampled beats, I shied away from samples before but now its all ive been working with and some of the beats I have been making have just been a nice loop from a sample and a drum break and Id use effects to manipulate the sample and that was pretty much the beat. Is this to basic of a song? Or if it sounds good, then thats all that matters and I shouldnt overthink? much appreciated

you can make a simple loop that sounds dope, or work on creating a longer and more structured song (which with myself as a very amateur beatmaker I find quite difficult)

If you're just making loops maybe just throw a random accapella on there (or get someone to rhyme over it) and see if the beat remains interesting enough the entire way through the song (or verse or whatever)

You can also work your beat around an accapella with choruses etc and try to build a more structured song that way - this is a good way of learning where you might need to change your beat up, etc

this is the hardest shit. Listen to and study J Dilla and Madlib's work. The way they make the beat progress without relying on familiar pop tropes is what makes them truly special...

• Like 3

^yup. I been listening to beat konducta 5 & 6 recently and it's truly mind boggling how many samples madlib has. Shit he's scratching, little sounds all over the track, interludes... It's fucking nuts. He's got the illest samples in his beats, everybody knows. But the sheer volume of shit he drops on top of the beats is crazy.

"Yeah, I had a little bit too much to drink tonight. I don't care. I don't care about shit."

• Like 1

^yup. I been listening to beat konducta 5 & 6 recently and it's truly mind boggling how many samples madlib has. Shit he's scratching, little sounds all over the track, interludes... It's fucking nuts. He's got the illest samples in his beats, everybody knows. But the sheer volume of shit he drops on top of the beats is crazy.

"Yeah, I had a little bit too much to drink tonight. I don't care. I don't care about shit."

It's a true mystery as to how he constructs those weird little interludes and sound collages. I've dabbled with it before but it always come off as forced. My only guess is:

tumblr_ll21qtR2So1qjxja8o1_500.jpg

Man a song is what you make it, what you described is definitely a song, but the more time you put in and the more work you do on it, the more you will learn and get out of the experience of making it.

You don't need to put to much pressure on yourself when making beats. That's the beauty of making beats. You can just make a loop that repeat itself for a few bars and that's the track done. Or you can come up with different loops from the same sample which builds the song. There is no real structure in instrumental music. There are phrases and elements that will repeat themselves here and there, but there's no real structure. I'd recommend listening to/studying Jazz when it comes to structure ideas. You can also check out J-Zone who changes his drums quite often within a song, so that it doesn't sound to repetitive.

On 4/12/2016 at 0:22 PM, Cheel said:

and see if the beat remains interesting enough the entire way through the song 

this is really it. i'm not a producer but i'm going to begin making beats more and more as time goes on. it also depends on how long the song is.

i would say not to overthink it, if something sounds good it sounds good. BUT don't get lazy. you'll never be a great artist if you don't push yourself and try new things and get out of your comfort zone.