GC90

What happens to the Stones Throw Drip?

Update: Drip will stay up

---

Very sad to hear that Drip is closing up next month -- https://medium.com/@drip/a-letter-from-the-founders-of-drip-91023fc5a704#.yxkvax3xh

I was kind of skeptical of the service at first, thinking it was kinda lame waiting on credits and stuff but since subscribing I feel like I've gotten a lot of value out of it. I especially liked being able to get FLAC versions of new ST releases immediately.

Anyway, I'm wondering if Stones Throw has any plans for what to do after Drip.com closes. Could you maybe look into working on a Bandcamp subscription service as explained here -- https://bandcamp.com/subscriptions .

Also, what will happen to some of the Drip exclusives? There are still a number of them that I was hoping to get over time with credits.

Any info would be cool, RIP Drip

Blah, I was hoping to open a few more accounts to get credits but looks like that isn't even possible :(

I was really hoping to get a lossless version of the Homeboy Sandman tour tape, super bummed I didn't get that. I may get one more credit for the final month, will put it towards that I guess.

Edit: Bummer, no final credit for March. If you unlocked some releases without FLACs though, they will give you some replacements if you e-mail them. Got enough to pick up the few exclusives I was missing. Still hope Stones Throw will figure out a good platform to provide this type of back catalog and future exclusives/etc.

Depressing news. I loved this service. Why are they going under? It seemed like they have been growing steadily for a while now. I was a member from day one and have something like 20 unlock credits. Do I get a prize?

oh bummer... I have some downloading to do. Seems weird they are going under. I give them $30 to $45 a month (3 subs, not sure how much each one is)...

Blah, I was hoping to open a few more accounts to get credits but looks like that isn't even possible :(

I was really hoping to get a lossless version of the Homeboy Sandman tour tape, super bummed I didn't get that. I may get one more credit for the final month, will put it towards that I guess.

Edit: Bummer, no final credit for March. If you unlocked some releases without FLACs though, they will give you some replacements if you e-mail them. Got enough to pick up the few exclusives I was missing. Still hope Stones Throw will figure out a good platform to provide this type of back catalog and future exclusives/etc.

did you get what you wanted?

did you get what you wanted?

Fortunately grabbed all the exclusives I believe, there's still some rare stuff I wish I could grab (the few ST 45 Club releases on there for instance). It's pretty dumb that Drip didn't even offer the ability to buy credits before deciding to shut down the service in my opinion. I've seen a bunch of people asking for it and they've written a bunch of times it is "something we will consider".

Hopefully ST will find a way to continue releasing stuff from the archives, I will keep throwing money into it when they let me.

Yeah I had to close down my own drip account a while back, but I also liked it quite a bit. the back log of rarities that can be scooped with the credits was my favorite part as well.

glad this topic is staying on top... got a lot of downloading to do in the next 15 days. Is there going to be a mad rush on the 17th and 18th?

i started to download everything and I realize I need to trim the music budget. I have hours and hours of unheard music. Need more time in the day.

There are a lot of technical issues with Drip now and it seems Kickstarter is not interested in keeping everything working. I've noticed that all the official 'Drip' channels are dead. Has Stones Throw thought about changing their monthly music program provider? I know you guys are putting more stuff on Bandcamp these days and I think there could be more money to be made through visibility of such a program if it were hosted there instead. It sounds relatively easy to set up too -- https://bandcamp.com/subscriptions 

I'm at the point of wanting to cancel my subscription because Drip's platform sucks, but haven't yet because I don't want to miss any exclusive goodies. 

CG, you're absolutely right about the problems, and as of this week we're deciding to close it down.  

Looking at Bandcamp and other ideas for the future.  

• Like 1

Oh dang, that was fast lol

I do hope you bring it back in one way or another, getting new music monthly was really awesome. Paying the $10 a month was worth it to me, there were quite a few releases I probably wouldn't have bothered with if I didn't get them there and I've ended up becoming a big fan (Especially true for Mild High Club, Surface to Air Missive, and that Frankie Reyes that come to mind)

I just wish that the new setup was in place before this goes down, it seems a bit of a missed opportunity if the Drip is closed before announcing where you will continue this type of program (especially since I'm guessing many people there aren't on STMB or visit the website very often). I know you guys probably can't say, but it's also interesting to think about how many people were actually subscribed and whether there was value to ST with it (I would hope so!!). I'm very biased because I like Bandcamp a lot, but it is hard imagining transitioning there not having an even bigger impact than Drip had. 

Anyway, as long as you keep uploading new albums to Bandcamp I'm happy enough for those sweet FLACs

It's been on the radar for a while now, so it's not as fast as it might seem.  We don't have immediate plans to do this again on Bandcamp or anywhere else, but we'll look for an opportunity. 

Subscription program is now available on bandcamp. Are the Leaving Records releases included in this service?

I missed the whole boat on drip moving to Kickstarter and Stones Throw moving to Bandcamp... is there any access to drip downloads? Was subscribed on there from nearly the beginning and it would be most cool to get the releases.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:38 PM, marrickvillain said:

Hey @ST Bot, just wondering whether this mild high club gem will turn up on the bandcamp digital subscription at any point? Many thanks!

Strictly a vinyl release, though the Gizzard Hizzard side is already out digitally with their LP.