jbuzz

Vince Staples

I'm through the first half... it just gets better and better, I haven't been super impressed with No I.D.'s production on Common's projects but it's dope here. Vince is dope. Jump Off the Roof is NUTS.

Thanks for posting. Vince is one of the up and coming artists whom I respect but probably won't really listen to for another 6-12 months. For better or worse, that's just how I get down. I prefer to let the dust settle...

I've been focusing on album roll outs quite a bit over the last 2-3 years and I find it odd that Def Jam would release his "debut album" as a double-album. Can anyone make sense out of this? I'm one of the few people left on earth who listens to whole albums from start to finish still but a double-album not only seems excessive, but irrational. More than anything, to me it seems like they're wasting music by doing this. (It's priced at the $13.99, right around the industry standard).

I wrote about this the other day so I'm really just paraphrasing a previous analysis. I think it would have made more sense commercially if Def Jam would have released it as a regular album but with a deluxe option -- the deluxe CD being a EP or a follow-up to one of his previous efforts, á la J. Cole's Born Sinner.

Listened to the whole thing, about to give it another spin. Fantastic in my opinion, very little filler for this being a "double lp" or 60 min record I think. I mentioned over in the Earl thread that I was a fan of that last EP Staples put out and all his guest features on Odd Future stuff. Think I said in the OF is dead thread that the best thing to come out of that whole thing was getting Flylo rapping, I forgot that Vince Staples and Casey Veggies getting attention too through their features was something good to come from OF. Very solid debut in my opinion, hopefully gets some hype ( was surprised NPR was on it, good stuff).

Edit: That track at like the last 30-60 seconds of the album is badass, wish it were longer!

• Like 1

Listened to the whole thing, about to give it another spin. Fantastic in my opinion, very little filler for this being a "double lp" or 60 min record I think. I mentioned over in the Earl thread that I was a fan of that last EP Staples put out and all his guest features on Odd Future stuff. Think I said in the OF is dead thread that the best thing to come out of that whole thing was getting Flylo rapping, I forgot that Vince Staples and Casey Veggies getting attention too through their features was something good to come from OF. Very solid debut in my opinion, hopefully gets some hype ( was surprised NPR was on it, good stuff).

I totally agree with you about the filler. But at the same time, at an hour in length I wouldn't say this album goes super deep into double album territory, I mean it's shorter than Cocaine Piñata. But it's so dope, the first half is easily some of the best music I've heard in a while, the second half isn't quite as good but it's still better than what most artists release, ESPECIALLY considering its his debut. I'm impressed.

Yeah I mean I didn't really consider it a "double album" myself like they are marketing it as I guess? Worked as a solid single album to me anyway. Funny bigger name dudes like ASAP Rocky and Action Bronson put out shorter albums this year with way more filler/crap. This is probably one of the better rap albums of the year imo (not at Kendrick or Joey Badass level though)

• Like 1

I liked it more than Joey's album tbh. I think Staples is a better rapper who talks about more conceptual shit, and you can't necessarily hear his influences as clearly as you can Joey's. I think the production quality on the albums is similar though, if not weighted a bit in Joey's favour, but I really dug this album. I'll see how I feel about them both in a couple of months.

Turns out it's a 59:04 double album. Rather unconventional running time for a double album. I thought it would be in the 90-110 minute mark and based my initial post off that assumption but I was wrong. Not as odd/ unconventional as I wrote it to be after all.

I'll listen for myself since you guys have given it a solid rating but I'm curious if there's any kind of shift from disc 1 to disc 2 thematically or otherwise?

Turns out it's a 59:04 double album. Rather unconventional running time for a double album. I thought it would be in the 90-110 minute mark and based my initial post off that assumption but I was wrong. Not as odd/ unconventional as I wrote it to be after all.

I'll listen for myself since you guys have given it a solid rating but I'm curious if there's any kind of shift from disc 1 to disc 2 thematically or otherwise?

The production is a bit different on disc 2, a bit more trap, but i don't think it's that different thematically. But i've only listened once, I'll give it another spin soon enough

Worth watching, hearing some of Earl's thoughts on Vince is cool

Admittedly I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this album, but I reaaaally like it. The beats absolutely slap—No I.D. has never been better or more interesting. And Vince kills it. My summer soundtrack for sure.

Been surprised about how many good reviews the record is getting. I thought it was good, but folks like Pitchfork, AV Club, etc giving it pretty high praise.

Liked how the comparison was put in the AV Club review -- http://www.avclub.com/review/vince-staples-pushes-buttons-his-exhilarating-doub-221233

By virtue of age, proximity, and skill set, Staples can’t help but come across like the dark shadow of the most prominent Cali rapper making complicated music about the Darwinian plight of the inner city, Kendrick Lamar. But unlike Lamar, Staples has little interest in empathy. Where Lamar depicts his Compton as a community of people struggling to do their best, Staples’ slums are presented in the same sensational light the media portrays them in, as irredeemable cesspools of junkies, killers, and corpses. Staples is too desensitized to humanize his subjects the way Lamar does, and if that can make him seem unlikable, so be it—he delights in pushing buttons, anyway. He opens “Señorita,” a five-alarm banger built around a chest-beating Future sample, with a shot at one of rap’s most sacred cows, curtly declaring “Fuck ya dead homies.” Elsewhere he shows disregard for his own bottom line when he admonishes the white fans who make up a considerable chunk of his audience. “All these white folks chanting when I ask them ‘Where my niggas at,’” he raps, “Going crazy, got me going crazy, I can’t get with that / Wonder if they know I know they won’t go where we kick it at?”

I will never write off Vince Staples again. Admittedly, before listening to a few of his tracks, I backed away from tge whole Odd Future thing, so I wasn't ducking with anyone affiliated with that group. I slowly came around from that because of Pyramid Vritra and The Internet. Listened to a little Earl, too, but I digress

Listened to "Norf Norf", "Senorita" and "Fire". Before you know it, I was checking out more and more Vince Staples. Now, I got to check out more stuff.

Big ol' shame that Summertime '06 sold so few copies when it dropped (in the 10k range, I heard). How did Def Jam not utilize this dude's charisma more in the marketing? He's been doing these viral one-offs with magazines lately that are hilarious: http://www.gq.com/story/vince-staples-gq-men-of-the-year-2015?mbid=social_twitter

"Why is Chris Rock on Empire? They should just bring crack back." so funny

Best mang.