LeftFoot1st

Saving your music. WAV,FLAC,MP3?

LeftFoot1st    122

Just curious how some of you save your music, do you like to have a mp3 for web, and save a flac or wav file in case you want to press it later or some shit.... like what's really good with that?

soulREBEL360    701

Just curious how some of you save your music, do you like to have a mp3 for web, and save a flac or wav file in case you want to press it later or some shit.... like what's really good with that?

That's exactly what I do. MP3s for Soundcloud and then flac or wav format when I render them down for later use.

LeftFoot1st    122

Yeah, I figured... just wanted to see if someone had a better idea....might shut this shit down now.

Grifty    823

Wavs all the way. Invest in terabytes homie

EdTheYounger    503

Just wavs man... MP3 if I want to email my ish to someone. Wav to soundcloud. Flac's an audiophile wank... Sure there's a difference... If you have a $10,000 set up maybe.

GPBear    545

.wavs

i've started putting every beat I like onto some beattape, put those tapes onto a flash drive, and then delete the .wavs from my computer.

Grifty    823

Flac files are compressed Ed. Smaller than wavs actually. Wavs are generally considered large and unwieldy

• Like 2

ODK    362

And final Bounce down should be 16 bit rather than 24 bit, due to vinyl pressing or CD, but yeah WAV and fuck everything else, even for Soundcloud as that will ruin your music with it's 192 crappy quality.

EdTheYounger    503

Damn I always read flac was the be all and end all. Guess audiophiles dunno wtf they're talking about then haha.

But yeah, WAV. Default daw settings will be fine. You can always re-bounce the lossless WAV to something else later.

Grifty    823

Well, you're not wrong. Flac files are compressed with a lossless algorithm, so that's why everybody goes so nuts about them in the audiophile industry. Wav files, of course, are lossless because they're not compressed at all, but that also makes them unwieldily huge

I always go wav, but mp3s are best for just throwing on the phone to ponder over, or send in emails and shit. But you need wavs or better if you want to kill the soundcloud or bandcamp game.

• Like 1

LeftFoot1st    122

Yeah, I been doing wavs for a minute...and I got a few G Drives just for my vinyl rips... Only got one for my own shit...smh lol...

MrMista    5

WAV 24bit.

Who uses CD's anymore? ;)

Also WAV when uploading to SoundCloud. SoundCloud re-encodes to 128kbps mp3 regardless of input format, so if you upload an MP3 you will get twice the artifacts from the mp3 encoding (plus of course the horrendous 128kbps quality).

MP3s dont use bit depth in the same way as WAV and/or FLAC - better quality in = better quality out. No need to dither to 16bit as many think.

• Like 1

Grifty    823

Yeah, I've never noticed an increase in sound quality as dramatic as 16 to 24 bit depth. Sample rate is not NEARLY as important IMO

• Like 1

MattCoops    68

I record all my loops, samples, one-shots onto a tape via a cassette deck.

I like tapes. They're almost indestructible. They give a great character sound with the hiss. And just have a lo-fi aesthetic I appreciate.

I used to save stuff on the computer. Then one time a few years back the thing crashed and I lost everything.

Then I started saving to memory cards until I popped it in one time and it had nothing on it. Don't know what happened. Poof! Everything gone.

So yeah, I like tapes. The only drawback is rewinding/FFWDing to find stuff.

• Like 1

bcwarlock    68

I have a folder for wav in case I'm doing a collab or need o send it to someone who wants to use it.But for soundcloud i use audacity to create mp3s.I mean a lot of the samples i use are youtube anyway so it can't sound any worse lol!

Lawani    1

I do .wav at 48000 bit rate without dither for none mastered versions, 42000 bit rate in .wav once mastered, which I then use for bandcamp, and at last I do 320 .mp3's for soundcloud.

On 5/1/2015 at 9:42 AM, MrMista said:

WAV 24bit.

Who uses CD's anymore? ;)

Also WAV when uploading to SoundCloud. SoundCloud re-encodes to 128kbps mp3 regardless of input format, so if you upload an MP3 you will get twice the artifacts from the mp3 encoding (plus of course the horrendous 128kbps quality).

MP3s dont use bit depth in the same way as WAV and/or FLAC - better quality in = better quality out. No need to dither to 16bit as many think.

damn that's interesting, i didn't know that. i always upload .wavs to soundcloud anyway  but this is good to know

On 8/21/2017 at 1:23 PM, Lawani said:

I do .wav at 48000 bit rate without dither for none mastered versions, 42000 bit rate in .wav once mastered, which I then use for bandcamp, and at last I do 320 .mp3's for soundcloud.

48000 and multiples of it are typically used for films/video. 44.1 kHz is typically used for music. idk why or if that effects you at all i just figured i'd say 

i typically store all my music as 16 bit 44.1 kHz wav files. if i ever need an MP3 i'll make an MP3 but i don't need them right now.  

when i i send my music to spotify, itunes, etc. through CD Baby they require the music be 16 bit 44.1. other than that i just upload to soundcloud and youtube which take wav files as well. youtube probably converts it to MP3 tho. 

i figure Cd Quality audio (16 bit 44.1) is good enough. i don't use bandcamp, can you upload higher quality files through them?

On 8/21/2017 at 1:23 PM, Lawani said:

also, if in your DAW it's a high bit depth like 32 bit float or 24 bit and you're exporting it at 16 bits there will be slight distortion on the quiet parts. 16/24/32 is bit depth not 4800. dither covers that quiet distortion up. 

44100 (44.1) and 4800 is the sample rate.

Grifty    823

i just wanna add tho, its not like if you're sampling off some dusty ass dollar store record the dynamic range and sound quality is gonna be GOOD.  hell, half (re: all) of you guys in here are probably squashing the living shit out of your mixes with compression and limiters anyway, so it's not like wavs vs mp3s are gonna magically make your shit a million times better sounding.  i was just kidding earlier when i said wavs, it's all about your beats tbh.  i would play a banging mixtape at 128 kbps and cringe like hell at some shit in wav that was wack.  quality is super important if you're going to be sending your mixes to professional mixing and mastering studios though.  if you're just a hobbyist making beats for fun you're wasting your hard drive space by saving your shit in these huge wav files

• Like 1

Cru    1
On 9/3/2017 at 12:15 AM, Grifty said:

you're wasting your hard drive space by saving your shit in these huge wav files

Exactly. So everyone who is reading this, go out and export those tracks as an uncompressed .wav with a sample rate of 192000 hz. Trust me, you can hear the difference. ;)