GC90

MADLIB

"... There have been so many variations of it, that it always puts a big smile on my face just to even think about it. How could I have possibly predicted this outcome could happen? [[evil] Laughs.]”

- Bob James “Nautilus”

• Like 1

LA people! re: the pop-up shop this weekend-

"Madlib says he's bringing through some custom-made CDs. We'll probably only know exactly what that means when we see them."

If it's looking good, hook a brother up!

I managed to make a tracklisting for that great 2002 Gilles Peterson guest mix, or as I call it "The Advanced Jazz Prequel". There are still some gaps to be filled in. So if you have anything to add/modify....go right ahead!

00:00 Cannonball Adderley - Experience in E / Art Blakey - Announcement By Pee Wee Marquette

00:49 Lonnie Liston Smith - Astral Traveling

03:21 George Duke - After the Love

03:48 George Duke - Liberated Fantasies

05:53 Pharoah Sanders - Love is Everywhere

08:15 Norman Connors - Kwasi

09:20 Norman Connors - Maiden Voyage

10:49 Sun Ra - Astro Black

11:28 Michael White - The Land of Spirit and Light (pt 1)

13:38 ?

13:49 Milt Jackson & Ray Brown Bigband - Enchanted Lady

14:36 Cal Tjader - Corine

16:06 Eddie Henderson - Dark Shadow

18:32 ?

19:11 ?

19:25 Billy Parker's Fourth World - Get With It

20:46 Billy Parker's Fourth World - Dance of the Little Children

22:12 ?

22:18 Eddie Henderson - Acuphuncture

24:44 Roy Ayers - Better Days

26:51 The Headhunters - Descending Azzizziuh / Pork Soda

28:51 Patrice Rushen - Before the Dawn

29:46 Patrice Rushen - Jubilation

30:28 ?

30:34 Dom Um Romao - Family Talk

33:05 Ronnie Foster - Cheshire Cat

34:10 Ronnie Foster - Tuesday Heartbreak

34:30 Ronnie Foster - Fly Away

34:50 ?

35:23 ?

36:40 Lonnie Liston Smith - Space Lady

37:22 Eddie Gale - Look at Teyonda

38:35 Cannonball Adderley - Lovers

40:34 Azymuth - Theme for Tiago

42:22 Eddie Henderson - Sunburst

43:02 Weather Report - Vertical Invader, Seventh Arrow, TH, Dr Honoris Causa

44:14 ?

44:40 ?

45:17 ?

45:54 Bill Summers - Flying

46:17 Lonnie Liston Smith - In the Park

49:00 Mysterious Flying Orchestra - Shadows

49:20 Gene Harris - Koko and Lee Roe

51:07 ?

51:50 Michael White - Smile In Your Eyes

53:00 ?

• Like 1

This is killing me. I'm looking for the madlib remix where there is a guy in the back ground going "OOO....AHHH!" I forgot the first rapper in it, but i know the second is Busta Rhymes... can anyone help?

This is killing me. I'm looking for the madlib remix where there is a guy in the back ground going "OOO....AHHH!" I forgot the first rapper in it, but i know the second is Busta Rhymes... can anyone help?

Raw Medicine Track 2...it's a remix of some Q-Tip feat. Busta Rhymes track.

• Like 1

It's kind of eerie how we no longer see what Madlib is up to now that he has amassed such great notoriety. I figured I'd document the story of the time I was lucky enough to meet him, as I don't come on here much.

It was nine years ago and ST was doing their thing-I used to follow shows with a magnifying glass and just figured this would be a show to see. Dilla had passed and PBW was doing that video mixing thing that seemed a bit gimmicky. It was a Friday and I had just gotten off of work dressed in full suit. I had no one of course to go to the show with. I stopped of at the buddha connect house that was near the venue. I was early so I blazed listening to MV which was not terribly old at that time. I eventually made it into the venue and noticed everyone puffing inside. It wasn't a terribly large hall with the cup room just a small ways from the bar. The music was pretty good and since I was a workaholic, I thought to myself that the Frank and Dank Dilla produced song was a new sound-that music should sound like that. PBW was being a showman and people in the crowd were weirdly shouting DOOMs name. PBW said that DOOM was in attendance then said "psych." I found the early DOOM cult following interesting. I ended up chilling in the back bar undoubtedly sticking out considering I was wearing a navy blue suit and everyone else hip hop regalia. I notice the vip room door open and out comes Madlib (a bit heavier than he has ever been in his life) with a bigger white girl. I then see Guilty Simpson, who I give a nod to-he nods back. Now Madlib is playing hoochie coochie with ole girl right next to me and I'm kinda cracking up. I offered Madlib a beer-Heineken at the time. We didn't really communicate verbally-it was mostly head-nods and hand motions. He thanked me and went on cavorting with the gal. Later, I reached over and handed him my business card sort of explaining why I was wearing a suit and told him that if he needed anything, he should call. Ha-the entertainment fancy and sample clearance. I was so wet behind the ears, but I figured if I was ever going to work with anyone, it would have been someone whose music I couldn't turn off. He looked at the card, he looked at me and nodded. He was wearing thick shades a long chain and the huge five pointed star ring (he already looked the part). He definitely was not a wine drinker. Anyway this night seemed bigger than any for me. I asked him for a photo and he smiled, gave a super cheesy grin which cracked my shit up and thanked him. From that moment on I knew he was a cool as heck guy. I had been dabbling in music, mostly as a crate digger, so I felt our non-verbal exchange interesting as befitting of improv that only jazz fans can create. I didn't go nuts for his music thereafter like everyone else I'd see at the record shop-but I always recalled that moment. I checked in here much too late. Social media kinda cramped the music scene.

• Like 8

Raw Medicine Track 2...it's a remix of some Q-Tip feat. Busta Rhymes track.

I thought you were talking about the "Somehow Someway" Remix on MMS13...

"... There have been so many variations of it, that it always puts a big smile on my face just to even think about it. How could I have possibly predicted this outcome could happen? [[evil] Laughs.]”

- Bob James “Nautilus”

that's funny, because Bob James is suing Madlib now for copyright infringement:

http://watchloud.com/listen-to-the-madlib-song-bob-james-is-suing-over-sparkdala/

fuck him, legend or not...i'm so sick of these crotchety old guys trying to capitalize on hip-hop while dismissing it as a viable art form in the same breath.

One of the problems that confront many ‘Hip Hop’ or ‘Rap’ artists is that they are unable to achieve an instrumental background musical sound quality for their works,” James states. “As a result, they borrow or ‘sample,’ therefore infringe the performance and composition of others in this case, the copy written works of James.”

“From my standpoint, I had to take a stand about it, because the copyright, and the maintaining of the ownership of copyright, are the most valuable and important things that we have in this business. And the control over the usage of it. And to have someone attempt to take that out from under you is a very big deal. And it’s a bigger deal from the standpoint of the record companies than the artist.”

There was one time when a friend of mine in New York was trying to put together a compilation project, asking hip-hop producers to just take ‘Nautilus’ as a jumping off place, and each hip-hop artist would do ‘Nautilus’ in their own way. I don’t think he ever finished it. But he sent me three or four of these from different hip-hop artists, and it was fascinating, because all of them were completely different. Some of them used the song from beginning to end. Some of them re-recorded it, and used my bass line vamp, and they would re-record the drums, with a similar groove. There have been so many variations of it, that it always puts a big smile on my face just to even think about it. How could I have possibly predicted this outcome could happen? [Laughs.]”

what a fucking asshole -- he admits these sampled tracks put a smile on his face, yet he's too stupid to understand the value of appropriation in the music?

where'd you think all those jazz standards you covered came from, Bob? did they just appear out of thin air? this guy has no clue what he's talking about...just an out of touch has-been trying to make even more money for his fucking greedy, litigious label.

• Like 1

lol JF, yeah we were bitching about that earlier.

Funny thing was the day I read about it here, I had bought three Bob James albums. Sampled them shits just out of spite.

I said this in another hip-hop forum, but it's not like we're sitting here rolling joints with copyright laws and setting them on fire. He's gonna get his money, and we'll probably never see another Quas album. I don't have a problem with them getting their dough.

I have a problem with every time one of these lawsuits comes up, they always throw in "Rap and hip-hop does what it does because they can't make their own music" like they're some sort of authority on hip-hop. It's just unecesarily disrespectful. "I had to take a stand about it" this isn't Tianimen Square, you're not a moral crusader by putting artists out of business.

Especially when those beatmakers only make beats because most of them were black and couldn't afford instruments to begin with, but that's a whole 'nother discussion

• Like 2

that's funny, because Bob James is suing Madlib now for copyright infringement:

http://watchloud.com/listen-to-the-madlib-song-bob-james-is-suing-over-sparkdala/

fuck him, legend or not...i'm so sick of these crotchety old guys trying to capitalize on hip-hop while dismissing it as a viable art form in the same breath.

One of the problems that confront many ‘Hip Hop’ or ‘Rap’ artists is that they are unable to achieve an instrumental background musical sound quality for their works,” James states. “As a result, they borrow or ‘sample,’ therefore infringe the performance and composition of others in this case, the copy written works of James.”

“From my standpoint, I had to take a stand about it, because the copyright, and the maintaining of the ownership of copyright, are the most valuable and important things that we have in this business. And the control over the usage of it. And to have someone attempt to take that out from under you is a very big deal. And it’s a bigger deal from the standpoint of the record companies than the artist.”

There was one time when a friend of mine in New York was trying to put together a compilation project, asking hip-hop producers to just take ‘Nautilus’ as a jumping off place, and each hip-hop artist would do ‘Nautilus’ in their own way. I don’t think he ever finished it. But he sent me three or four of these from different hip-hop artists, and it was fascinating, because all of them were completely different. Some of them used the song from beginning to end. Some of them re-recorded it, and used my bass line vamp, and they would re-record the drums, with a similar groove. There have been so many variations of it, that it always puts a big smile on my face just to even think about it. How could I have possibly predicted this outcome could happen? [Laughs.]”

what a fucking asshole -- he admits these sampled tracks put a smile on his face, yet he's too stupid to understand the value of appropriation in the music?

where'd you think all those jazz standards you covered came from, Bob? did they just appear out of thin air? this guy has no clue what he's talking about...just an out of touch has-been trying to make even more money for his fucking greedy, litigious label.

LOL Bob James capitalizing off hip hop??? Hip hop has been capitalizing off of him if you want to put it like that. Just because something makes someone feel good, doesnt mean they have to or should give it away for free.

Maybe yall would understand if that was your job. But its not. Most everyone around here is a bedroom producer who samples records for fun cause they loved Dilla and Madlib and will never make a dime making music. I love sampling as much as the next guy, but to get mad when someone wants to be paid for their work is a joke.

• Like 1

Should realize if it wasnt for these "old crotchety guys" who made music 20,30,40,50 years ago, you would have no records to sample.

• Like 2

^ LOL!

yeah right -- any producer worth his salt knows how to create his/her own compositions as well as sampled beats, you should know that dude...you're in the fucking Madlib thread of all places. arguing AGAINST the validity of sampling, how does that even happen? would you consider Madlib to just be a leech suckling off the god-like teet of Bob James's Vader-like estate?

(interesting visual right there)

no, of course you don't, because you're a rational person...so what even is your argument dude? are you seriously saying that major corporate entities should dictate the progress of hip-hop? do you think Picasso should've paid royalties to the French newspapers he sampled in his collages? what about Hanna Hoch or any of the other countless artists out there who re-appropriate materials from third-party sources as a medium in itself? clearly the music game is FUCKED up beyond belief due to these archaic copyright laws, and people like spanishFLU help perpetuate all the stories we hear and read about of artists getting sued and taken for a fucking ride by every Tom, Dick, & Harry in the music biz over a fucking 3-second loop. i'd love to hear your comments on Dilla, Biz Markie, and all the other beatmakers that either couldn't or just didn't clear samples in their work -- without all those pirates out there, hip-hop would be a pretty dull fucking genre if you ask me...

• Like 2

without all those pirates out there, hip-hop would be a pretty dull fucking genre if you ask me...

With these old dudes scaring everyone away from sampling I'd say we're already starting to see this happening for much of the genre.

the future is bright, kiddos. listen to how much better this is than that icky, dirty hip-hop that uses (yawn) samples...i could play this on repeat for the next sixty years -- progress schmogress.

• Like 3

The sad thing is how right James Frank is.

These guys honestly see Jay-Z and think "WELL LOOK AT ALL THESE RAPPERS AND THEIR MONEY! I PLAYED THE KEYBOARD! I'M AN ARTIST!"

They're insanely jealous. What's great is that before Hip-hop, these guys were always bitching about how hard the industry fucked them, see: Tom Petty or Jon Fogerty getting sued for sounding too much like Jon Fogerty.

They're upset a buncha young(ish) black guys showed enough business acumen to make some cash. And it's like, they don't let you slide at all. They treat hip-hop like it's an IRS audit. "You paid for the album in the first place, you pay for your ticket to see us, you paid for the sample clearance...HAHA YOU DIDN'T PAY THE PUBLISHING RIGHT! YOU GODDAMN THEIF!" It's sickening and in 100 years, people will laugh at us. But in the moment it's complete bullshit.

You want the ultimate hypocrisy: "Hi I'm Led Zeppelin, I stole the guitar part to Stairway to Heaven verbatim and matched it with lyrics we ripped from J.R.R Tolkein, in addition to ripping of countless black delta blues musicians. WHAT YOU'RE USING JON BONHAM'S SNARE? I WILL TAKE YOUR BALLS AND HAVE THEM ON MY MANTLE!"

lmao it's not this black and white. it's not one or the other. it's not crazy that people want compensation for other people essentially using their hard work to make money. if you couldn't have made your shit without them, it stands to reason they should get a cut if they want one.

Sample clearance and hip hop have been intertwined for decades. young cats have a very egalitarian view that everything just belongs to everyone, but that's not the most sustainable system. I personally think that if someone under the radar like Madlib flips samples, (sometimes) doesn't get clearance, and doesn't get caught, then more power to them. I love that about madlib. If an artist is big enough, they generally won't take the risk not clearing samples (+ they have the money), but madlib is in that gray area. which is why calling out samples on the internet in forums and youtube comments etc. is the real threat. you can't hate on Bob James too hard when he's well within his rights, but you can hate on the people who inadvertently alert these artists to the money that's just dangling out in the universe for them to snatch up.

this all reminds me of the interesting debate over the (uncleared) medicine show mixes

• Like 1

A big fan of madlib, but he skirted the rules. Do you guys think we should just throw copyright laws out the window? You don't realize how annoying borrowed melodies are to the listener. Being hauled into court is an expectation. Frankly, most cases of infringement have not held up against big name producers and now we are seeing a slight change. Not saying Madlib isn't genius-just that you have to abide by the rules. How many copies of that album have sold or been downloaded, anyway? The Internet will ruin everything for producers, like it or not. Get clearance for them samples. In 2001-that was the name of the game, anyway. Madlib will get popped for a reasonable sum. Nothing really for him to worry about. The lamer producers have settled out of court for peanuts compared to their gross. Pharell was always jacking beats. This topic gets old. There's a process to music and it's called copyright protection. How do you guys call bullshit? You all sound like fanboys.

Btw the reason why Zepplin never was sued was because the labels were powerful. Madlib won't sweat any of this or anything else that will come his way.

A big fan of madlib, but he skirted the rules. Do you guys think we should just throw copyright laws out the window? You don't realize how annoying borrowed melodies are to the listener. Being hauled into court is an expectation. Frankly, most cases of infringement have not held up against big name producers and now we are seeing a slight change. Not saying Madlib isn't genius-just that you have to abide by the rules. How many copies of that album have sold or been downloaded, anyway? The Internet will ruin everything for producers, like it or not. Get clearance for them samples. In 2001-that was the name of the game, anyway. Madlib will get popped for a reasonable sum. Nothing really for him to worry about. The lamer producers have settled out of court for peanuts compared to their gross. Pharell was always jacking beats. This topic gets old. There's a process to music and it's called copyright protection. How do you guys call bullshit? You all sound like fanboys.

Btw the reason why Zepplin never was sued was because the labels were powerful. Madlib won't sweat any of this or anything else that will come his way.

• Like 1

I said this in another hip-hop forum, but it's not like we're sitting here rolling joints with copyright laws and setting them on fire.

Do you guys think we should just throw copyright laws out the window?

I understand.

I'm saying, that for 20 years, most in the underground never said shit because it was like "Yeah, yeah, they got caught so it goes". That's totally fine. But what copyright laws don't allow for is Bob James or whoever, to be a total cunt and shit on an entire genre of hip-hop.

They can have their money. But that's it. They don't get to have their cake and eat it too. You don't get to take a guys money, and then call him un-artistic. It's just ridiculously over the top at this point. And then hip-hop fans run in like "Oh what you want to get rid of copyrights!"

NO! Stand up for your set! Bob James deserves his money, Bob James deserves to be called a dick for trashing Hip-hop. He doesn't care what we call him, because to us, we're sample fiends lurking the night for trumpet loops. He gets his money, we get to vent our frustrations by calling them dinosaurs. We all get what we want lol

I say fuck him. Desperate old fuck. He's not making money on record sales so he's gotta come up somewhere

• Like 1

maybe i'm an asshole too because i don't understand the value of appropriation either. imo, playing and recording music is similar to capturing lightning in a bottle. sampling cheapens that "magic" because you lose the value of that progression by only highlighting a small fraction of an entire song.

and asking for bob james not to respond to this infringement is basically asking someone to not be passionate about their work. it would actually be interesting hilarious if bob james and his people found out about the copyright infringement from websites that attempt to document sample sources

He's not making money on record sales so he's gotta come up somewhere

this made sense to you huh?

the notion that an artist of his caliber and seasoning still getting royalties from his records, playing live events around the world never crossed your mind? instead, you think he's sitting at home googling who has infringed on his copyright so he can cross his palm with silver?

11133845_835665063137867_414003175061099