GC90

MADLIB

Yo, if that's Madlib in 1988 and wiki says he was born in 1973, then he was 16 in this picture. Dude's got a full mustache.

In "Sparkdala" he says "If you don't know I sparkdala daily/Been smoking since I was 16 (yo really?)" So it was around this time he started smoking weed.

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2008/10/jason-jagel-73-funshine-art-book-and-madlib-vinyl

Bought this book awhile back but finally got around to checking out the 10 inch, some sweet YNQ stuff here Dunno if it ever got put out on anything else, but would recommend grabbing this if you ever see it. The art is really great too. Saw someone on Discogs had one for $35 which is quite a bit less than I paid on eBay when I saw this pop up lol

Dilla / SV quote. People would be surprised to know how big of a fan / proponent of some of our underground heroes Drake was before "blowing up." He rapped with and shouted out cats like 9th Wonder, Elzhi, SV, Dilla, Little Brother, etc on quite a bit of his earlier work. It's slightly awkward in retrospect considering how removed he's gotten from that aesthetic but that's more so his background than what he's synonymous with today.

I know a lot of STMB cats view Drake as the antichrist though so let the "he's fake," ghostwriter, actor comments rain.

I like Drake's music.

• Like 1

just adding to the Drake/Madlib convo...

@ 1:09 "Yall niggas need to wake up, man! What yall niggas listening to? Drake or some shit? I like drake too, but cot'damn nigga" -Madlib 2011

• Like 2

Damn new madvillain shit seems pretty ill

@ 1:09 "Yall niggas need to wake up, man! What yall niggas listening to? Drake or some shit? I like drake too, but cot'damn nigga" -Madlib 2011

I laughed aloud when I read this. Any clue what he was spinning was?

Grabbed that new figure, like the design a bit more than the original which I bought awhile back then later sold. Still got that Quas figure too.

Hope this means new record is somewhat closer to being finished. Will it even be released on ST at this point though? lol

• Like 1

Hope this means new record is somewhat closer to being finished. Will it even be released on ST at this point though? lol

They're grasping at straws with this release.

Sad to see Madvillain go out on a whimper like this...

• Like 1

I laughed aloud when I read this. Any clue what he was spinning was?

That’s Hosianna IV from the rock konducta album

• Like 1

Instead of "Madvillain" they're listing the track everywhere as "Madlib & DOOM" / "MF DOOM & Madlib".

No idea if that indicates anything.

Track is perfection.

• Like 2

On another note I came across something at watmm...

Apparently Soundmurderer has opened a new store in Ypsilanti, "Technical Equipment Supply", selling clothes, tapes and vinyl. Alongside the store, they got a label TECH.EQPT.SPLY. planning to release these for starters:

1st release (TECH-002) Soundmurderer/Atlas 7"
2nd release (TECH-004) Aphex Twin 10"
3rd release (TECH-006) Madlib 7"

...and more from Flying Lotus for example.

Majority of the label releases won't be available outside the store, online/digital orders only in exception if their restrictions allow them.

???

edit: they are estimating on Facebook that the AFX 10" could be available in the spring, so...

New interview with the Vancouver Sun reveals some very interesting tidbits:

I’m actually putting a 45 out on my label very soon with two or three tracks on it.

Who wants to bet that the 45 that gets released will just have the few songs we've been hearing since '09?

^ sums up my feelings pretty well. almost without a doubt it would be Avalanche. If he really wants to fuck with us Papermill will be on there.

can't get shit by us

• Like 1

ST took down the Avalanche video that was uploaded on the Madlib Invazion YouTube channel (were all the Freddie Gibbs videos are uploaded, etc) via copyright claim or whatever. Also noticed that the iTunes link never worked for me; it looks like a few people didn't want this being released outside of Stones Throw. Maybe the song was recorded when the duo were still under contract? Hopefully this doesn't prevent another collab album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtyNV_ZLUaE

"MADLIB. DOOM. AVALANCHE. (O..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Stones Throw Records LLC."

• Like 1

Grabbed that new figure, like the design a bit more than the original which I bought awhile back then later sold. Still got that Quas figure too.

$85 for a new/old figure being revamped plus a new track?!? Pass.

Still got my original figure sitting on my desk. Pry more $ from fans all you want, but for this?

It's just tarnishing my memories of 2004-2005.

• Like 1

"MADLIB. DOOM. AVALANCHE. (O..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Stones Throw Records LLC."

lol

• Like 1

Instead of "Madvillain" they're listing the track everywhere as "Madlib & DOOM" / "MF DOOM & Madlib".

No idea if that indicates anything.

I noticed that as well, would be interesting if not through ST. The other thought though is maybe they just want to drop the "Madvillain" title so that it isn't technically 'MV2'. I dunno

I noticed that as well, would be interesting if not through ST. The other thought though is maybe they just want to drop the "Madvillain" title so that it isn't technically 'MV2'. I dunno

This probably has more to do with the fact that they will not be releasing it via ST. Could be that Madvillain is a property under contract to ST.

funny thing is there's been some "Madvillain" tracks and "leaks" since the LP, just not in the form of a project so i'm sure some have slipped by some folks waiting for the sequel:

monkey suite

papermill

avalanche

closer (quas f./ madvillain)

i'm sure i'm missing a track or two here