MattCoops

Wayniac Mondays

Why did this and the Dilla toy thread get bumped to Talk?

Dilla toy thread prob because that's all through Dilla's foundation/Rappcats

This being moved to Talk was very surprising. If JW really got dropped or moved on that'd be weak, Sandman like the only dude left putting out rap music here now :(

Edit: While he's taken off the drop down, his artist page still there -- http://www.stonesthrow.com/artists/jonwayne

^ yeah, i noticed that too...but i mean, Dudley's page is up still as well if you search it out lol; doesn't mean they're on good terms...

we need answers!!!

#WayneGate

yo that drop down is looking thiiiinnnnn

Noticed that while looking the other night :( Half the dudes on that list don't even put out much music these days too.

what's that? Stones Throw is in need of a nerdy, verbose white rapper in his early 20's???

a rapper who they've already heard (via the MWP contest)??????

and participates frequently in the message board ran by them???????????

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Like 1

lol is that a challenge to a rap battle with jw jf???!???

• Like 1

I was bored:

7 Days of Funk - December 2013
Chrome Canyon - October 2012
Dam-Funk - (album with Steve Arrington) October 2013
Dub Club (NOT AN ARTIST)
Duppy Gun (NOT ST) - November 2014
Guilty Simpson (MMG/etc NOW) - May 2010
Homeboy Sandman - September 2014
J Rocc (BYH NOW) - April 2011
James Pants (Hiding in Europe) - May 2011
Karriem Riggins - October 2012
Knxwledge - May 2013 (NO ST ALBUM YET)
Leaving Records (NOT AN ARTIST)
Madlib (INVAZION NOW) - September 2014 (ST MOVIE SOUNDTRACK ONLY RECENT)
Madvillain (MV2 LOL) - April 2012
Mayer Hawthorne (Universal but coming back lol) - September 2009
Mndsgn - August 2014
Myron & E - July 2013
Peanut Butter Wolf - January 1999
Pyramid Vritra - August 2014
Quakers - March 2012
Silk Rhodes - December 2014
The Lions - February 2013
Tuxedo - March 2015
Vex Ruffin - November 2013

to be fair, i did hear something about a new Quakers album coming out soon...

yep i asked geoff barrow about that when i was in new york and ive seen via twitter that it is happening, if it comes out on st is another thing...

i might be wrong but i have some faint ass memory that rap album was going to be a trilogy?

^ i heard that too.

but yeah—i mean, Jon still has an active STMB account...wonder if he'd be willing to espouse any deets on the situation. but then again, probably not if there's now bad blood between him and ST. what's with all of these artists leaving this label on such bad terms? wasn't Wayne just presented as the leader of the "new era" in OVWAT like a year ago?

• Like 1

As I was playing Cassette on Vinyl last night I was curious about how many albums he signed up with ST to do. If SwampThing is correct maybe Doodles, RA1, and CoV are the three LPs and both parties see the contract as complete. This is all assumptions, but maybe that's why CoV came out kind of out of nowhere. It might have just been an easy way for him or ST to end the deal and move forward. I remember him saying something awhile back about never posting here again so I doubt he'll be the one to clear the air; but some insight would be kind of nice so we don't have to speculate on whether or not there is bad blood between him and ST.

• Like 1

Apparently he is in the process of recording his next album. Still no confirmation on what happened with ST but I'm pretty sure that relationship is over. In other JW news, dude is looking a lot healthier. He posted a pic with his shirt off from his show the other night and its obvious he's been working hard slimming down. Pretty soon he'll be stealing Hawthorne's bitches...

• Like 1

crazy. How they let JW slip away I do not know. He was a seriously important asset for them in my opinion, and he was only gonna get better. I always thought they were investing in his future and grooming him to be a ST staple. Other than another quakers release, I'm not sure what hip hop I have to really look forward to on ST. I mean it's like homesand boyman and pyramid vritra are literally the only rappers on ST (other than hypothetical quakers, possible guilty, and occasional gems dropped by JRocc, he IS)

Hell even the non-hip hop acts i really like (pants, anika, jonti) aren't gonna be putting out anything more on ST (or, it seems like, anywhere)

They lost Anika and Captain Funkaho from the drop-down, yet kept karriem riggins. think there will be another KR on ST, or is it just the fact that that album came out not TOOO long ago?

• Like 1

Hard to imagine that Karriem record selling well (I could be wrong though!), can't see a new record imo.

I'm still wondering what's up with not only the hip hop but the whole label like I mentioned in post awhile back. Half the people on that drop down don't even put stuff out here anymore (and like you mentioned not anywhere else either). I sometimes worry about the future of Stones Throw, not super confident in dudes like Pyramid and Silk Rhodes being able to do stuff like people have in the past. The only big project that seems to be coming is that Tuxedo joint which I'm not super excited about personally (MH didn't do well enough on major or whatever so now he comes back here lol). I wonder if Stones Throw will ever get to the point of just being more of a brand or something vs a record label (Like putting out record boxes, bags, shirts, etc). I could understand moving in that direction, would be very sad though as a fan.

I'm not too worried about the future; especially since it looks like ST is jumping into the distribution game now with their Leaving Records deal. I see it more as a place where kind of weird artists who don't fit in any rigid genre can come get their feet wet in the music biz and then continue on with more music somewhere else or just go back to living life with the pleasure of saying that you got a record pressed up by the legendary ST. And remember KNX hasn't even dropped an official project yet. I think ST has some plans for the next few years with him and mndsgn kind of taken on the whole hip hop/beat side of things ST is known for.

^ true i forgot to mention mndsgn and definitely forgot that knx was actually signed to ST and has an album coming out 2015. and it's not to say i don't appreciate all the non hip hop acts that get play.

But where the rappers at!