James Frank.

Films

yo just saw gone girl last night it was pretty good...had laughs, suspense, corniness and a couple shocking moments.

what should i see today-- tusk or skeleton twins?

gone girl was fucked up...

• Like 1

anybody see Boyhood yet?

i've heard it's very good...the concept alone already makes it an instant classic.

Linklater's the man, we're gonna be screening a 35mm print of Waking Life like next Thursday, to prepare for our screenings of Boyhood next weekend.

Boyhood looks great. Going to get on to that.

Waking Life is one of Linklater's best films. Boyhood looks great too. Also, on an unrelated note, THE FUCKING INHERENT VICE TRAILER HAS BEEN OUT FOR LIKE 3 DAMN DAYS!!! Looks amazing. It seems that PTA has proven yet again that he can literally do anything. So many scenes from the trailer were so similar to what I pictured from the book. It's kinda eerie. Can't wait for this damn picture to hit the silver screen. It's premiering at the NYFF tonight so hopefully enough positive feedback will give it a bit more breathing room when it hits select theaters in december. Either way, it's going wide in January.

• Like 1

there was a film i didn't get to see that was being screened last Thursday, some Korean film called Oldboy...?

anybody see that flick?

there was a film i didn't get to see that was being screened last Thursday, some Korean film called Oldboy...?

anybody see that flick?

Yeah it's great. One of the best Korean films of all time. If you see Oldboy(which I highly recommend) and like it, also check out JSA and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. There is a remake of Oldboy that just came out by Spike Lee. I'm 100% sure it sucks and have only heard bad things about it. But I'm pretty sure the Park Chan Wook original is on netflix.

• Like 1

Oh man, didn't realize Waking Life was made by Linklater too. Underrated movie.

Boyhood was amazing, I had never seen a movie before that could make me feel angry while watching it, maybe it was due to the similarities with the main character... What makes it a great movie is that it's just a sequence of fragments of life, it's not 'about' a certain subject and it doesn't take a stance on things, there are no heroes of the story. Time just moves on. It already stands out due to the fact of its recording alone, but it is so much more than that. One of the best movies I've seen, the track on the ending scene kind of ruins it though, I hate that song.

Oldboy was a good movie too, it'll fuck you up. Minor issue I had with it is that I think the difference in culture made it that I couldn't fully connect.

Awww shit.

Here's a few reasons why I'm excited as hell about this...

#1 It's not a remake or a reboot, the story falls somewhere between Road Warrior and Thunderdome.

#2 It's made by the same writer/director of the originals, who has been trying to get this on the screen for the past ten years.

#3 Tom Hardy is the best choice to play Max other than Mel, he's got the acting chops and the intensity to do the character justice.

#4 Over 80% of the film is practical effects/stunts, which is unheard of these days.

• Like 1

Awww shit.

Here's a few reasons why I'm excited as hell about this...

#1 It's not a remake or a reboot, the story falls somewhere between Road Warrior and Thunderdome.

#2 It's made by the same writer/director of the originals, who has been trying to get this on the screen for the past ten years.

#3 Tom Hardy is the best choice to play Max other than Mel, he's got the acting chops and the intensity to do the character justice.

#4 Over 80% of the film is practical effects/stunts, which is unheard of these days.

i really hope he reprises the Bane voice for this role.

Oh man, didn't realize Waking Life was made by Linklater too. Underrated movie.

he's in waking life. near the end he's recalling a dream to the wiley wiggins character.

if anyone likes this you need to see slacker, his first--its basically the same movie--similar format, shot in austin, many of the same actors.

also boyhood was really amazing and you should check out before sunset (2004) and before midnight (2013)

would be funny to dig up that argument we had in the old movies thread about waking life

I never knew he made Waking Life either but now that scene with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy makes perfect sense to me.

• Like 1

This movie is dope... I tried to show my family and they just thought I was a nutcase. It's about a dude who decides to swim home through his neighbours pools.

• Like 1

gone girl was fucked up...

Just watched it... was pretty epic. I think everyone should see it. If not for the script then for Trent Reznors amazing score... Reminiscent of some early silent hill ish.

Just watched it... was pretty epic. I think everyone should see it. If not for the script then for Trent Reznors amazing score... Reminiscent of some early silent hill ish.

When I said fucked up, I meant that in the best possible way. It leaves a mark, that's for sure...

I'm going to see this one in the theater for sure:

they just thought I was a nutcase.

I know that feeling very well

aww shit is right

• Like 1

yeah i thought Gone Girl was incredible! Fincher was a god to me circa 2003, but I didn't like Social Network, thought the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo remake was not a real improvement on the original, Benjamin Button was pretty hit or miss, Panic Room was flat, Zodiac a relative disappointment... so i was SO happy with how well-crafted and dope the movie was.

Yes, I know most people loved Social Network, and I guess a lot of people never saw the Swedish GWTDT, but it's still funny to me to read about how everyone is on Fincher's dick now. Can't read one article or review it seems that doesn't go on about what an unequivocal MASTER Fincher is (even outside of the context of Gone Girl)... I'm just wondering when that became an accepted fact, i don't recall there being this level of dick riding when the last one came out. Was it really the Social Network? Or it could have been Benjamin Button I guess. OH WAIT it was probably both of those combined with House of Cards, forgot about that.

He's got a pretty dazzling control over the frame, I have got to admit. Zodiac, for it's faults, is a gorgeous fuckin movie. All of his movies are very very well made. I was just pleased that this one had a script that I thought was on his level as a director.

• Like 1

just saw Grease for the first time last week...

i had a weird selection of movies checked out, cause the other two were Jodorowsky films -- so then i started thinking about what it would've been like if Jodorowsky decided to adapt Grease instead of Dune lol.

i might animate a trailer for that someday...

ALEXANDRO JODOROWSKY'S GREASE

This is a pretty amazing mini doc I found a few months ago. Pretty powerful. I well up errytime like a lil b****! Dude is a champion.

• Like 1

Zodiac, for it's faults, is a gorgeous fuckin movie.

I loved Zodiac, probably my favorite Fincher movie since Fight Club. His use of blue and yellow in Zodiac was bananas.

Zodiac is dope in its way. only a relative disappointment to me haha. one of his best shot movies without a doubt, there are moments and shots in that movie that are mindblowing. I guess I was always gonna have problems with a true crime movie based on such a famous and unsolved case, it's such a long ass movie and i always felt like the script was lacking in the end, even if it's an enjoyable experience.

I just saw American History X... I love it. Aside from the somewhat weak and too abrupt ending, it's really a fantastic movie. Has anyone else seen it, or does anyone have any comments?

had to miss out on seeing Boyhood this weekend because of so many other commitments i had for school...my uncle helped make me a prosthetic hand, i acted in my first role ever, i watched a shit ton of silent films, and i filmed myself cutting my own hair. sucks, really was looking forward to finally seeing it. guess i'll have to wait for the Redbox release or something

Watched Bernie the other night on Netflix, it was pretty good. Not a big fan of Jack Black but he played the role great

i saw Whiplash this weekend. JK Simmons was outstanding – it's worth seeing this film for him alone. The movie is about a drummer at a music school, but my criticism is that it feels more like a sports movie with JK Simmons as a coach – it's all about endurance, speed, accuracy.

• Like 1

ummmmmm....

KEEN

Shit looks so wack. I can't believe people are falling for this bullshit. Music =/= sports.

i saw Whiplash this weekend. JK Simmons was outstanding it's worth seeing this film for him alone. The movie is about a drummer at a music school, but my criticism is that it feels more like a sports movie with JK Simmons as a coach it's all about endurance, speed, accuracy.

fair deuce, defo gonna check it out.

Shit looks so wack. I can't believe people are falling for this bullshit. Music =/= sports.

ha. Funny thing is I've experienced this first hand (maybe not to that extreme). I had a "music" teacher back in primary school who used to throw shit at kids when they missed notes and stuff... The school used to compete nationally, he took that shit pretty seriously. I heard he got fired a while after I left for pushing a kid down some stairs.... Guess I could just relate lol. But I'll reserve judgment until I see the movie myself.
  • Like 1

lmao what bullshit are people falling for? it's a movie.

that shit happens man. i've known jazz musicians who put that kind of pressure on themselves and i've known teachers whose preferred method of teaching bordered on abusive

• Like 1