James Frank.

Films

On 2/27/2017 at 10:20 AM, James Frank. said:

has anyone here seen Get Out yet?

yeah, and I thought it was pretty good.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:29 AM, DJ Projexion said:

2 Films I finally got around to seeing:

Hell or High Water. I thought it was a pretty solid modern Western, great concept (robbing banks to pay the bank back), and Jeff Bridges was great (even though he was kind of rehashing his Rooster Cogburn act). The story left me wanting more, can't put my finger on it but I think it was a little too simplistic.

The Nice Guys. Awesome movie and way funnier than it needed to be. It made me think of The Big Lebowski with it's wacky situations and characters. Can't wait for Shane Black's Predator movie....

The Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe combo works way better than I would have guessed. Hope they do another.

Hell or High Water was one of my favs. 

Saw Alien Covenant aka Prometheus 2 over the weekend and it was kind of meh, pretty much the same old Alien type flick with not much new shit brought to the table.

Some key things that just pissed me off about it:

- ok we finally get to the Engineers planet and guess what? They're all dead wtf

- an android is the main villain of the movie, not the aliens (can we retire this plotline already? been using it since the damn original)

- too much CGI use made the creatures look wack af

Spoiler alert: James Franco has 0.02 seconds of screen time and then dies lol

5 hours ago, DJ Projexion said:

Dunkirk tonight......

let us know your thoughts!  i'm considering taking my ma to go see it this wknd.  Regal Cinemas has an "RPX" (Regal Premiere Experience lol) theater playing this film around the clock in a nearby city.  i'm wondering if i should: go see it normally, go see it in 3D IMAX, or splurge for the "premiere experience" whatever the fuck that may be.  definitely seems like an 'event' kinda movie, must-see in theaters.

in other news, i'll make a separate post in a bit about my experience watching Valerian...oh boy.

53 minutes ago, James Frank. said:

in other news, i'll make a separate post in a bit about my experience watching Valerian...oh boy.

James, are you really going to ruin Valerian for me? lol I had high hopes for it, Fifth Element is a classic, I was hoping this would be from the same cloth. 

EDIT: Can't tell if you're "oh boy" is a good thing or bad thing so I'll be patient....

• Like 1

well, i will say they made an amazing trailer for that film.  i kinda don't want to rush into spoiler territory though, since that's where the vast majority of my thoughts reside about the film, so i might write something up somewhere else and link to it here so i don't spoil it for anyone wanting to see it.

Thunkirk was a helluva an experience, very little dialogue, constant suspense driven by menacing ambient music/noise, and I liked how the majority of the cast was extras and lesser known actors.

Made me think of Kubrick, Paul Thomas Anderson, and Terence Malick flicks. Nice to see Nolan switching it up from his usual sci-fi stuff.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 0:11 PM, DJ Projexion said:

James, are you really going to ruin Valerian for me? lol I had high hopes for it, Fifth Element is a classic, I was hoping this would be from the same cloth. 

EDIT: Can't tell if you're "oh boy" is a good thing or bad thing so I'll be patient....

http://board.stonesthrow.com/index.php?/topic/28244-valerian-spoilers/

there's definitely spoilers in there, so beware.

3 hours ago, DJ Projexion said:

Wind River, that's the movie right there. One of the best of the year.

went into this expecting to love it, and i don't know if it was because i was massively stoned, but i couldn't believe how bad it was. the structure was insane, the characters were insane, the writing was insane. what kind of FBI agent shows up to winter in Wyoming without a coat? I don't care if she was coming from las vegas!!

Saw Blade Runner 2049 over the weekend, I thought it held up pretty well against the original. Overall it had this 80s-90s anime feel to it, definitely traces of Akira in there. The music was fucking amazing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DJ Projexion said:

The music was fucking amazing. 

Ha, I had the complete opposite reaction. I'm a massive fan of the original movie, especially because of the killer Vangelis soundtrack. When I heard they weren't bringing him back to this new one I was ready for the new movie to suck. Was pleasantly surprised with how the movie turned out, but the music was not very good as expected. I guess the director's choice of composer was actually ditched for fucking Hans Zimmer so of course the soundtrack ended up being boring and generic. I don't know how this guy gets so much work, all of his music feels characterless. It is good in terms of setting the mood of the scenes, but I can't think of anyone who would buy this movie's soundtrack and play it like they would with the original movie. 

Edit: Man, just even at the end of the movie, no epic music at all like the original :(

Just compare the old to new

I thought the score was cray, there's a super intense part in the middle/end with this repeating nasty growling synth drone that's nuts

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Grifty said:

I thought the score was cray, there's a super intense part in the middle/end with this repeating nasty growling synth drone that's nuts

Yeah I did forget to mention there were some neat sounds, that one you point out and the sorta dark hum like 2001 a space odyssey were cool. Overall the score is good for the mood of the scenes, but besides a few interesting sounds here or there kind of characterless like the rest of Hans Zimmer's stuff anyway I thought. I will give them credit for at least not trying to directly copy Vangelis, because what would have been the point if they could have just got him involved lol

Def highly recommend folks check out the movie though, easily one of the best visual looking movies I've ever seen and the story was actually very good. Dunno if you guys saw the anime prequel thing on Youtube, but that had Flylo's music which was cool

anybody planning on seeing Suburbicon or Murder on the Orient Express? i saw ads for them and i thought they looked pretty cool

I hear you GC90, don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fan of Vangelis and his original score. But I went into this trying to judge the music on its own without comparing it and I think it serviced the visuals well.

Vangelis’ score was far more melodic and nuanced while this one was more ambient/industrial. Made me think of the opening music in Akira with the loud drums.

Suburbicon is definitely next on my list...

• Like 2

https://jezebel.com/tell-us-what-you-know-about-the-louis-c-k-sexual-abuse-1818549472

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/20/is-metoo-coming-for-louis-c-k/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evbggm/i-got-shut-down-while-trying-to-report-on-the-louis-ck-rumors

lol the only writers reporting on them are Gawker-level publications desperate to be the place where something this big breaks so they don't go out of business.  the problem is that they're unsubstantiated second and third-hand rumors from anonymous sources who have not only refused to come out publicly to speak about it, but in Jen Kirkman's case actively refuted those rumors.  i mean Jesus Christ, this certainly says something about our society at large though -- right?  once the general public at large smells blood in the water, it's just a media frenzy to see who gets to topple the next big celebrity...

i'm seeing articles coming out about how in a "post-Weinstein" world, Louis CK's new film is "a total disaster" lol.  what?  how is this not the most topical movie of the entire year?  it's literally art imitating life, through the magic of sheer coincidence.  John Malkovich's character is the VILLAIN of the film, not the fucking hero.  and Louis's character is one of a concerned father watching his daughter grow up to be exploited by a member of the Hollywood elite -- a story that has some extremely dark, extremely real undertones (just ask Corey Feldman and Elijah Wood about it).  these blog writers are just fucking garbage, they act as though the system underpinning American media is this safe haven for all marginalized people, when their entire industry is filled with gross scumbags and delusional bloggers with varying combinations of nepotism and narcissism running through their bored millennial brains.

i'm willing to admit my bias here, because i think Louis is undoubtedly the greatest comedian since Carlin, and might possibly even surpass him as one of the top 3 GOAT thanks to his work in television and film...but beyond all that, the man has built his entire persona and the entire second wind of his career on blunt, brutal honesty and self-deprecation.

is it possible that he's a creep, and the allegations are true?

yeah, i guess anything's possible. 

but just because i heard someone say someone else said their friend heard on a desperate, fringe comedy podcast that their friend said a guy did a thing at a place one time ten years ago that never was reported or placed on any record whatsoever, that doesn't make me very responsible to go out and report it like it's news just because it's particularly juicy gossip...right?  the Jezebel link above is such a non-article, they literally beg anyone to send them an anonymous story at the end lol.  i think the comments i've attached in screenshots below that article sums up my feelings about it:

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 2.11.50 PM.png

DISCLAIMER: no, it's not me who wrote this comment even though it says 'Masshole James'.  my name is very common haha.

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 3.22.58 PM.png

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword was a real shitshow, getting tired of Guy Ritchie and his Sherlock Holmes antics. It’s played out homie. Dude has an obsession with historical figures being involved in some underground/primitive MMA. It’s just silly.

I’ll stick with the Antoine Fuqua version with Clive Owen, now that one was dope af.