James Frank.

Films

9 hours ago, James Frank. said:

The Video Station in Boulder closed down last Monday, March 6th.  for those unfamiliar, it was one of (if not the) last independently owned video rental store in the country...their collection was incredible -- they had essentially the entire Criterion collection, rare experimental animation compilations, old school sci-fi/horror b-movies, a section dedicated to noteworthy directors with their entire filmographies placed conveniently together, and a really solid staff of knowledgeable people.  still haven't had the time to process them closing down, cause i used to rent movies all the time there, and a lot of these titles aren't available on streaming platforms...i mean shit, they still had a few Korean films that were only on VHS in the racks.  fucking millennials, right?

their entire library has gone into storage, and it really bums me out that the era of video rentals has officially died out entirely now.

I hear ya James, a similar kind of store closed down near me about a year ago, real labor of love place with an insane catalog of obscure movies old and new. Lucky for me they put up their entire inventory for sale and as it got closer to the final day, the DVDs were like 50-75% off. Needless to say I dropped over 200 dollars there. Sad that my kids will never know what a video rental store is....

• Like 3

Finally got around to watching Vanishing Point (1971) a few days back... Classic car / road movie with a very fly soundtrack.

4 hours ago, DJ Projexion said:

Sad that my kids will never know what a video rental store is....

I feel that. I remember having to wait like three weeks to rent the Godfather when I was like 14 because the three copies in my store were always booked out. In my mind it made the movie better.

On a happier note, Legion is a pretty great TV show, seems like X-Men are really killing the game at the moment

6 hours ago, DJ Projexion said:

Sad that my kids will never know what a video rental store is....

For real though. One of the best parts about going to my dad's on the weekends was getting to go to the rental store and look for a movie.

Sorry to hear about the store in Boulder JF. that fucking sucks. I just found a nice collection of Criterion in the Auraria campus library but they can't be taken out of the building.

Last week I watched the CC version of Hitchcock's Foreign Correspondent  which is hilarious and has this fucking intense ass scene where he crashes a giant airplane into a huge pool he had built and then kept his actors in it for nine days of filming for like six minutes of the entire movie. The crazed look in the pilot's eyes as he's about to crash into this pool is worth the price of admission alone. 

• Like 1

The current state of US pols has me re-watching the Manchurian Candidate

moreso the earlier Frankie Sinatra version, but both takes are pretty legit.

If you're a fan of his movies or just a movie lover in general you should definitely check this out, currently streaming on Amazon

• Like 2

On 3/18/2017 at 10:26 AM, Cheel said:

The current state of US pols has me re-watching the Manchurian Candidate

moreso the earlier Frankie Sinatra version, but both takes are pretty legit.

Both versions are actually quite good imo but the 60's one is just great.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 9:42 AM, DJ Projexion said:

Moonlight won best picture, haven't seen it yet but I think it's dope they won. Now we are guaranteed to get a whole slew of quality hood movies in the coming years.

Saw a screening of it thought it was good then and had a buzz.  Didn't expect to win an academy but I'm glad it did. Finally, a non slave movie won juss sayin. Glad they got to touch on this topic because it's often taboo in the aa community, specially with church folk

trevante rhoades made me wanna risk it all😅

Nobody told me they remaking Kings "It" 😶

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miss stress said:

Nobody told me they remaking Kings "It" 😶

Yo I still remember watching the original on tv when I was in grade school and was blown away at how intense and scary that shit was. Pennywise haunted my dreams. For real.

I watched this not too long ago. Kinda flew under the radar when it came out. It's one of those Sci-Fi movies that deals with paradoxes, but with a fresh twist that'll have you on  Quora, Reddit and Wikipedia reading about predestination, paradoxes and parallel timelines and may require a second viewing. It's Excellent!

^^^i dunno this looks corny AF in my opinion hopefully its good

On 2/27/2017 at 10:20 AM, James Frank. said:

has anyone here seen Get Out yet?

yeah, and I thought it was pretty good.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:29 AM, DJ Projexion said:

2 Films I finally got around to seeing:

Hell or High Water. I thought it was a pretty solid modern Western, great concept (robbing banks to pay the bank back), and Jeff Bridges was great (even though he was kind of rehashing his Rooster Cogburn act). The story left me wanting more, can't put my finger on it but I think it was a little too simplistic.

The Nice Guys. Awesome movie and way funnier than it needed to be. It made me think of The Big Lebowski with it's wacky situations and characters. Can't wait for Shane Black's Predator movie....

The Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe combo works way better than I would have guessed. Hope they do another.

Hell or High Water was one of my favs. 

Saw Alien Covenant aka Prometheus 2 over the weekend and it was kind of meh, pretty much the same old Alien type flick with not much new shit brought to the table.

Some key things that just pissed me off about it:

- ok we finally get to the Engineers planet and guess what? They're all dead wtf

- an android is the main villain of the movie, not the aliens (can we retire this plotline already? been using it since the damn original)

- too much CGI use made the creatures look wack af

Spoiler alert: James Franco has 0.02 seconds of screen time and then dies lol

5 hours ago, DJ Projexion said:

Dunkirk tonight......

let us know your thoughts!  i'm considering taking my ma to go see it this wknd.  Regal Cinemas has an "RPX" (Regal Premiere Experience lol) theater playing this film around the clock in a nearby city.  i'm wondering if i should: go see it normally, go see it in 3D IMAX, or splurge for the "premiere experience" whatever the fuck that may be.  definitely seems like an 'event' kinda movie, must-see in theaters.

in other news, i'll make a separate post in a bit about my experience watching Valerian...oh boy.

53 minutes ago, James Frank. said:

in other news, i'll make a separate post in a bit about my experience watching Valerian...oh boy.

James, are you really going to ruin Valerian for me? lol I had high hopes for it, Fifth Element is a classic, I was hoping this would be from the same cloth. 

EDIT: Can't tell if you're "oh boy" is a good thing or bad thing so I'll be patient....

• Like 1

well, i will say they made an amazing trailer for that film.  i kinda don't want to rush into spoiler territory though, since that's where the vast majority of my thoughts reside about the film, so i might write something up somewhere else and link to it here so i don't spoil it for anyone wanting to see it.

Thunkirk was a helluva an experience, very little dialogue, constant suspense driven by menacing ambient music/noise, and I liked how the majority of the cast was extras and lesser known actors.

Made me think of Kubrick, Paul Thomas Anderson, and Terence Malick flicks. Nice to see Nolan switching it up from his usual sci-fi stuff.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 0:11 PM, DJ Projexion said:

James, are you really going to ruin Valerian for me? lol I had high hopes for it, Fifth Element is a classic, I was hoping this would be from the same cloth. 

EDIT: Can't tell if you're "oh boy" is a good thing or bad thing so I'll be patient....

http://board.stonesthrow.com/index.php?/topic/28244-valerian-spoilers/

there's definitely spoilers in there, so beware.