James Frank.

Films

The Room! lol I heard James Franco is making a movie about it.

Haven't seen too many movies lately but I did catch The Girl With All The Gifts, British sci-fi kind of like a mix of Stranger Things and Walking Dead if that's your thing. Pretty good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DJ Projexion said:

The Room! lol I heard James Franco is making a movie about it.

Haven't seen too many movies lately but I did catch The Girl With All The Gifts, British sci-fi kind of like a mix of Stranger Things and Walking Dead if that's your thing. Pretty good.

aflidiB.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dirty Cyclist said:

"I'm going, that's all there is to it. I'm going"

Hannibal Buress as Bill Meur, the owner of a stage rented by Wiseau

Swiss Army Man is an excellent movie -- it's impressive how well they pulled off such a ridiculous premise.  i'm genuinely surprised by how much i liked it, they really did something spectacular despite all the limitations of a mid-level budget, indie film.

on the other hand, The Lobster is a fucking over-rated piece of shit.  i bought into the hype, only to find out after watching it that i had been duped into watching some Eurotrash hipster nonsense...it's a shame too, because the premise sounds like a Charlie Kaufman film that never was.  but that Yorbis guy (or whatever his name is) is no Kaufman, that's for sure.  the film plays like a mix between Wes Anderson and David Lynch, but not in a good way.  i thought whatever point it was trying to make about life and relationships was buried so deep up its own asshole that nobody could walk away from that film feeling anything but confusion.

but i mean, it's well shot and well acted -- it's good on a technical level.  i just absolutely hated the story, couldn't get even slightly invested in it or the actors with their god-awful wannabe artsy dialogue.  the way it ends is completely ridiculous too, i hate directors that don't know how to edit their shots...overall, garbage movie.  don't watch it unless you're a hipster that thinks you "get it MANNNN"

Green Room was dope, kind of like Assault On Punk Venue 13. It's always nice when the main characters are not heroes-in-the-making and really don't know what the fuck they are doing half the time. Some unexpected nasty brutal moments too. Plus it's got Patrick Stewart as a villain. 

RIP Anton Yelchin, dude was a solid actor.

Also, wasn't aware but the director also made the slept-on indie masterpiece Blue Ruin.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DJ Projexion said:

Green Room was dope, kind of like Assault On Punk Venue 13. It's always nice when the main characters are not heroes-in-the-making and really don't know what the fuck they are doing half the time. Some unexpected nasty brutal moments too. Plus it's got Patrick Stewart as a villain. 

RIP Anton Yelchin, dude was a solid actor.

Also, wasn't aware but the director also made the slept-on indie masterpiece Blue Ruin.

i keep seeing previews for Green Room on all the DVD's my lady and i watch.  i think it looks awesome, she thinks it's retarded lol.  they don't make movies like that very often anymore, it's refreshing to see someone bringing back that style though.  in other news, i heard David Lynch was in town scouting locations a couple months back here in Denver

On 2/8/2017 at 3:52 AM, jbuzz said:

Anyone else caught Moonlight? I forgot how anxious ambiguous endings made me lol

just did

pretty good

Some recent viewings:

Arrival was a snoozefest

Assassin's Creed was pretty dope, the filming was spectac (def in the realm of Christopher Nolan and Ridley Scott), but I think overall I wanted more of the Spanish Inquisition scenes and less of the modern world. I never really played the game so I have no idea if it was close to that at all....

The Great Wall, kind of silly but def enjoyable. Reminded me of those Jet Li fantasy/kung fu flicks from the 90's. Odd choice for Damon but he was definitely committed.

i think it's hilarious that SJW's called out Matt Damon for cultural appropriation with that film -- not realizing it was financed, executive produced, and distributed by a Chinese production company that specifically wanted to work with him as their lead actor.

but anyway...what are the STMB Oscar predictions?  will La La Land sweep this year?  will Moonlight get the credit everybody tells me it deserves?  (haven't seen it yet)

will Matt Damon be accused of something taboo again?  will Mel Gibson be absolved of something taboo again?  will Spiderman actually win gold this time?  will Meryl Streep just fuck off already?  who will Emma Stone be wearing?  and of course, the most important question of all: who the fuck is Casey Affleck?

^^ LOL I actually fucking love Casey Affleck, I think he's way better than Affleck The Elder, very underrated actor who was great in Gone Baby Gone, Out Of The Furnace and some others. Haven't seen Manchester yet but it's on the list.

i saw Hacksaw Ridge last weekend -- it was pretty good.  didn't really do anything outside of the box though, and Vince Vaughn playing a sergeant was kind of a weird choice imo.  the guy who actually did all that shit is definitely an American hero though, i never heard about him until seeing the film.

Saw Hell or High Water the other day, was pretty great. Liked it enough to check out his movie before that, Starred Up... Probably the best prison movie i've ever seen, seriously great stuff by ben mendelssohn

• Like 1

Moonlight won best picture, haven't seen it yet but I think it's dope they won. Now we are guaranteed to get a whole slew of quality hood movies in the coming years.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, James Frank. said:

has anyone here seen Get Out yet?

No but I just added it to the list, looks hilarious.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Logan, not a big superhero movie fan but an R rated wolverine movie def has my attention.

• Like 1

Hunt For The Wilderpeople

& then catch up on his older stuff, starting with What We Do In The Shadows. Both on Netflix I think

get out was reeeeallly good. most definitely NOT a comedy. my jaw was on the floor in that closet scene toward the end. really impressive for a first time director.

lion was ok. go see it if you want to ball uncontrollably for two hours. never cried so much in a movie ever.

saw la la land for the third time and it got even better if you can believe that. pretty inspirational

hidden figures was actually solid i thought it would be pretty corny. janelle monae was super sexy in it. the scene where taraji starts to go off on costner about the coffee and the bathroom i started to get a little choked up and these two girls in front of me started laughing--i had to check myself

On 2/25/2017 at 2:51 PM, James Frank. said:

i saw Hacksaw Ridge last weekend -- it was pretty good.  didn't really do anything outside of the box though, and Vince Vaughn playing a sergeant was kind of a weird choice imo.  the guy who actually did all that shit is definitely an American hero though, i never heard about him until seeing the film.

actually really hated this one. it was some patriotic propaganda. took an hour to get to the battle part. i get why he refused to use a weapon because of his brother but why didn't he just carry one and not use it? he put himself through so much torment for no reason. vaughn had some great one liners though

Logan was hella dope, such an unconventional superhero movie that perfectly blended elements of a Western with 80's style sci/fi action (Cameron's Terminator 1 & 2 def came to mind). Classic storytelling without all the explosions and CGI nonsense.

Jackman & Stewart's swan song as Wolverine and Professor X is going to be a tough act to follow, hopefully this starts a trend with similar franchises. Excited to see what Marvel has in store next (aside from Deadpool 2 and GOTG 2).

Logan was fantastic, definitely the best X-Men movie. Probably gotta watch it again to judge properly but right now I'd say it's only behind The Dark Knight if you give a fuck about superhero movie rankings. Like Projexian said, just a really solid story without any gratuitous bullshit to detract from it with great performances from Stewart and Jackman. What an ending

5 hours ago, jbuzz said:

What an ending

Not gonna lie, that ending had me teary eyed like a little bitch (made me think of my daughter), I had to do the fake yawn when my girl looked at me lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DJ Projexion said:

Not gonna lie, that ending had me teary eyed like a little bitch (made me think of my daughter), I had to do the fake yawn when my girl looked at me lol

First time I'd shed a tear in a superhero movie

wasn't crazy about logan. it was 100 people getting stabbed through the face. two older ladies walked in during the chips preview and were shocked at the profanity. they were fine with the excessive violence in logan but couldn't handle a couple f-bombs in a preview. 

saw kong in imax 3D really surprised how good it was. i don't even like action movies but it was well executed. john c. reilly stole the show

2 Films I finally got around to seeing:

Hell or High Water. I thought it was a pretty solid modern Western, great concept (robbing banks to pay the bank back), and Jeff Bridges was great (even though he was kind of rehashing his Rooster Cogburn act). The story left me wanting more, can't put my finger on it but I think it was a little too simplistic.

The Nice Guys. Awesome movie and way funnier than it needed to be. It made me think of The Big Lebowski with it's wacky situations and characters. Can't wait for Shane Black's Predator movie....

i still haven't seen Get Out yet, and it's been driving me crazy every time i remember it's still in theaters.  i missed the BIFF (Boulder International Film Festival) entirely this year due to personal circumstances with work/home life...there's just not enough time in the day to all the things you want to.

The Video Station in Boulder closed down last Monday, March 6th.  for those unfamiliar, it was one of (if not the) last independently owned video rental store in the country...their collection was incredible -- they had essentially the entire Criterion collection, rare experimental animation compilations, old school sci-fi/horror b-movies, a section dedicated to noteworthy directors with their entire filmographies placed conveniently together, and a really solid staff of knowledgeable people.  still haven't had the time to process them closing down, cause i used to rent movies all the time there, and a lot of these titles aren't available on streaming platforms...i mean shit, they still had a few Korean films that were only on VHS in the racks.  fucking millennials, right?

their entire library has gone into storage, and it really bums me out that the era of video rentals has officially died out entirely now.

oh, but i did finish Fargo: Year Two just last night...not sure if i should save my opinions on it for the TV shows thread or not.

• Like 2

Get Out is a good film.  Whether it's worth all this endless praise, i'm unsure.  I thought it had flaws, and seems more like a 7.5-8/10 than a perfect score.  But for a filmmaker's first attempt, it's an incredible achievement.  Super big jordan peele fan and i hope the great success he's having with Get Out allows him to make more, better, crazier films.