James Frank.

Films

Article by Lucius Shepard (1943-2014) from 2005

Time for a thousand or so of the world’s shallowest people to dye their hair, mask their imperfections beneath layers of make-up, don their tuxes and gowns, and do their best group impression of Madame Tussaud’s. Time for Wolfgang Puck to ponce about while flaming a crepe for a gibbering Katie Couric, and for Sir Elton (our devolved era’s Truman Capote) to throw a party that rivals a Borgia rite-of-passage orgy with serving girls painted to look like gilt dominoes and an amazing mechanical bird that tweets heavy metal. Time for wretched excess, for extravagance and endless simpering, all in celebration of a tepid art.

http://www.electricstory.com/reviews/review.aspx?title=new/oscars05

• Like 1

i dont even watch the Oscars except the pre show to see what they wearing cause im kinda into fashion like t

hat. but, im glad "big daddy" won

i thought the show reached peak irony when the genius producers decided to play "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy during the credit roll...

i mean, there's missing the point. and then there's completely missing the point lol -- but nothing makes me laugh harder than a bunch of rich white cucks failing to understand any of Black America's grievances toward the award show they were boycotting.

ah yes, nothing says "we gotta fight the powers that be" like showing b-roll of old people in suits getting up from their chairs and hugging each other warmly. Chuck D would be proud

• Like 1

lmao dude the alternative would have been what, chuck d coming out live to slap the front row in the face?

I couldn't believe how hard they went, like every joke chris rock made was about race. if you don't think that crowd was super uncomfortable for the majority of the show, i'd have to disagree. sure, it wasn't all funny (it's the oscars, they have never been consistent), but for them to not only acknowledge it but to make every free moment of the show revolve around it was surprising to me personally, not knowing what to expect going in.

chris rock walked out to fight the power, and it actually is a pretty clear fuck you to the industry. that's the oscar ceremony painting hollywood as a villain right to its face. it's a small gesture with little effect, sure, but not an entirely meaningless one.

lmao dude the alternative would have been what, chuck d coming out live to slap the front row in the face?

I couldn't believe how hard they went, like every joke chris rock made was about race. if you don't think that crowd was super uncomfortable for the majority of the show, i'd have to disagree. sure, it wasn't all funny (it's the oscars, they have never been consistent), but for them to not only acknowledge it but to make every free moment of the show revolve around it was surprising to me personally, not knowing what to expect going in.

chris rock walked out to fight the power, and it actually is a pretty clear fuck you to the industry. that's the oscar ceremony painting hollywood as a villain right to its face. it's a small gesture with little effect, sure, but not an entirely meaningless one.

i literally only caught the very end, from Leo's speech till the local news lol. that's about all i can take of the Oscars every year

I've been wanting to see the Jungle Book

I'd watch this just to hear christopher walken and bill murray sing

2 things.

one, i didn't realize meat head directed all these.

two, these are really your favorite films?

I'd give him dap for Stand By Me and Misery, not so much for the others.

• Like 1

I'd give him dap for Stand By Me and Misery, not so much for the others.

Spinal Tap is classic don't talk shit

• Like 3

Did you watch it?

I had mixed feelings, but mostly positive. Mostly I was relieved it wasn't the same old predictable thing from music bio pics.

haven't seen it yet but I did see the Chet Baker pic when I was in New Mexico....really really good.Called 'Born to be Blue'...def worth checking out if you get the chance.

2 things.

one, i didn't realize meat head directed all these.

two, these are really your favorite films?

not my favorite films, but that is a pretty nice list for your first 7 films. Spinal Tap was dope and spawned a whole genre

Last great U.S. Produced movie? The Departed. Incidentally one of Jacks last.

recently got re-acquainted with Being John Malkovich back in April for my film history class...we had to write a paper relating Cameron Diaz's plot thread to transgender rights and representation in society throughout the past hundred years? (it's Boulder) but all politics aside, that movie is fucking great. easily one of my top 5 favorites now -- Charlie Kaufman and i have very similar sensibilities in our screenwriting styles. i knew he was good, but i've also been slacking on his catalog. stoked to watch Anomalisa someday, hopefully this year or something

• Like 3