James Frank.

Films

i'm surprised this hasn't been a thread yet...but yeah, let's talk films. first off, i found this awesome interview with Tarantino where he actually refers to his own style of direction as a "hip-hop aesthetic"...now that's pretty cool.

• Like 3

Rabid fan of Paul Thomas Anderson movies

• Like 1

Forgot about that! I knew there WAS a movie thread somewhere

Also a huge Coen brothers fan.... Anybody see inside Llewyn Davis?

i like most everything wes anderson has done

Me too but with The Budapest Grand Hotel he really excelled himself, great, amazing film. I love his aesthetic.

On a very different note, one of my favourite films of the last few years was Animal Kingdom. Seriously gritty hard-hitting Australian crime film, zero glamour and Ben Mendelsohn turns in a seriously fuckin scary performance. The director, David Michod has a new film, The Rover coming out soon, really interested to see how that goes, despite the presence of Robert Pattinson. Hopefully seeing Guy Pearce beat the shit out of him will be enough to keep me interested even if the rest of the film is no good.

With the Rio favela clearances leading up to the world cup I went back and re-watched the Elite Squad films (any excuse), the first one is great, kind of gritty police/drugs/action film, but the second one, Elite Squad: The Enemy Within really is light years ahead of it's predecessor, fair share of action and excitement but much much deeper, with a political/police corruption angle (hence the title). Blew my mind. If you liked The Wire, you'll love this. Really can't recommend it enough.

Anderson is definitely my favorite current American director. Every single one of his films from Bottle Rocket to Budapest just gets better and better. His storytelling and his recurring themes of outsiders and misspent youth is so heartwarming; I don't even mind the fact that he is telling the same basic story over and over again. He's ability to bring a new dimension every time to those themes is great. And then add on top of that the intricacies of his costume and set designs and he is in class all by himself in terms of modern film. Plus the man knows how to utilize music sooooo gotdamn well; his use of that Kinks song in Darjeeling during the funeral scene is one of my all time favorite movie moments. On the commentary to Rushmore he talks about the fact that he gave Schwartzman a CD with all the tracks in the order they would appear while they were on the set filming the movie. He also mentions in the commentary to Tennenbaums that he knew exactly what he wanted to do with that scene where Paltrow walks off the bus while that Nico track is playing years before he ever started making that movie. And may god bless his soul for getting Seu Jorge to cover all those Bowie songs throughout Life Aquatic; that was one of the first OSTs I went out of my way to purchase.

Not surprisingly, I'm also a big Baumbach fan. Frances Ha is one of my favorite movies to come out in the last several years.The disjointed nature of that movie reminds me a lot of Seinfeld's concept of 'a show about nothing'. And the overarching theme of 'the shadow line' is very near to my heart. Basically, the way I heard Gerwig explain it is that 'the shadow line' is a concept she picked up from a Joseph Conrad book. Its a seafaring term used to describe crossing a certain point like the equator. You'll always know when you've made it to the other side of the line but its very hard to tell where you are AS you're passing through it. That's how I've felt about my own transition from young adulthood to becoming a 'full fledged' adult; suddenly you look around and you ask yourself, 'Damn, when was the moment(s) that I I suddenly grew the fuck up?' I even really enjoyed Margot at the Wedding even though a lot of people can't stand Nicole Kidman's character. He captures that super uncomfortable and awkward feeling of being with family so well in that movie and I love the fact that he consciously went out of his way to avoid putting any kind of soundtrack throughout the movie. By not 'telling' the viewer how to feel in scene after scene it just adds to that uneasy feeling even more. You also never know whether or not to laugh or cringe at the horrible things Margot and her sister say throughout the film and when you do find yourself laughing at certain lines of dialogue you quickly question whether or not you're a horrible human being for doing so.

• Like 1

Eraserhead man! you gotta see it.

Eraserhead_poster.jpeg

Lynch is king of weirdos.

Rabid fan of Paul Thomas Anderson movies

Me too but did you see The Master? I couldnt stay into it and nearly fell asleep in the theatre.

QT is such a pompous prick.

Not surprisingly, I'm also a big Baumbach fan. Frances Ha is one of my favorite movies to come out in the last several years.

Great movie! So subtle and honest. Love that shadow line stuff. I know a lot of people who hate it, but I gotta say I think it's more often than not because it hits too close to home.

I've been on an Ozploitation kick lately:

Wake In Fright

Walkabout

The Road Warrior

Razorback

Dead End Drive-in

The Snowtown Murders (a recent movie based on the true story of a serial killer, great flick highly recommended)

.....also I was really impressed with the movie Joe. Say what you want about Nicolas Cage, he was dope in this. Also apparently they found some homeless guy in Austin to play the kids father, who then died shortly after filming. This guy was amazing, added such gritty realism to the movie.

• Like 2

Wake In Fright is my shit. Went to the 'Yabba and all I got was this alcohol dependency.

and Walkabout? Forget about it, one of the illest. Went on my first date with my girlfriend of 5 years to see it playing downtown. Sealed the deal with its sheer genius.

Projexion if you haven't already surely you must also check out Picnic at Hanging Rock. and The Last Wave.

Forgot about that! I knew there WAS a movie thread somewhere

yeah, i probably should've searched the board for something other than the term "film", i'm sure it would've come up then...but oh well. i'm sorta playing catch-up with a lot of classics that i just never got to see-- most recently, i watched The Graduate last month.

i've also been researching for the first season of my upcoming web series, so i've been paying more attention to shitty movies than good ones. as far as good films that recently came out though, i've been wanting to see Grand Budapest Hotel, that new Paulo Sorrentino flick, and possibly that new Planet of the Apes movie for shits and gigs since it comes out on my birthday. but yeah, what are some of the directors you all enjoy?

Also a huge Coen brothers fan.... Anybody see inside Llewyn Davis?

I saw it. I liked it, but it is no Fargo, Miller's Crossing, and such, but better for me than A Serious Man.

• Like 1

i'm surprised this hasn't been a thread yet...but yeah, let's talk films. first off, i found this awesome interview with Tarantino where he actually refers to his own style of direction as a "hip-hop aesthetic"...now that's pretty cool.

I love QT films and his enthusiasm...

Last movie that really left an impression was Spring Breakers. It only dawned on me two days after watching it how great it was. I think Harmony Korine even did the casting on a meta-level.

Dude also had three weird/funny interviews with Letterman, apparently they didn't ask him back after that last one because he got caught going through Meryl Streep's purse.

^^ Yeah I did see that, but what's funny about Australian movies is that like 90% of them are considered Ozploitation.

what are some of the directors you all enjoy?

Old school:

Hitchcock

Fellini

Jodorowsky

Kubrick

Herzog

New school:

John Hillcoat (Aussie director who did The Proposition, The Road, Lawless)

James Gray (The Yards, We Own The Night, The Immigrant)

Tarsem Singh (The Cell, The Fall, Immortals)

David Gordon Green (Undertow, Snow Angels, Joe)

Steve McQueen (Hunger, Shame, 12 Years A Slave)

• Like 1

Nice to see some fellow film buffs in here.

Some of my favorite filmmakers:

-Stanley Kubrick

-Akira Kurosawa

-Paul Thomas Anderson

-Coen Brothers(Liked Inside Llewyn Davis, but far from my favorite)

-John Huston

-Francis Ford Coppola

-Steve McQueen

-Jean Pierre Melville

-Paul Schraeder

-Quentin Tarantino

-Sergio Leone

-Vittorio De Sica

-Louis Malle

-Wong Kar Wai

-Orson Welles

-Alfred Hitchcock

-Jim Jarmusch

-David Lean

-Brian De Palma

-Martin Scorsese

-David Cronenberg

-Spike Lee (Absolutely love a couple of his films, but loathe most)

• Like 1

Great movie! So subtle and honest. Love that shadow line stuff. I know a lot of people who hate it, but I gotta say I think it's more often than not because it hits too close to home.

Yeah man I totally get what you're saying. I think regardless of whether or not you enjoy that film it will always hit close to home; some of us embrace those years of our lives when we're trying to 'stay' young but the world is pushing and demanding that we grow up while others are so obbsessed with 'getting there' or 'making it' all they want to do is leave that transitional period as quickly as possible. I met this chick who absolutely hated Frances and it caught me by surprise. She went on and on about how vapid the dialogue and the characters were and all I could think was 'This has to be the world's most boring female if she didn't "get" that movie.' Though I grew up on a steady diet of Seinfeld so that kind of banter and 'pointless' direction is something I can gobble up like a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

• Like 1

New school:

John Hillcoat (Aussie director who did The Proposition)

That movie was f'd up, haunting, funny, sad... I always watch some of it, if not all of it, when it comes on cable. I need to check his others.

What's the couple?

Do the Right Thing and Malcolm X. I just feel like both of those films are so fantastic, and yet most everything else I've seen from him has been okay at best.

^ Clockers was pretty good. I'm also a pretty big fan of Bamboozled though one of my former co-workers thinks its the worst thing since Spam. 25th Hour and He Got Game are fucking incredible. I know a lot of people either really dig Spike's joints or they hate them, doesn't seem like there is much middle ground. I think that speaks to how he presents most of his subject matter. He's not very subtle and it seems like he enjoys making his audience choose which 'side' they're on.

He has a long list of amazing movies, but a few are sleepers to me.

Clockers was pretty good.

Inside Man is underrated.

Madeleine White: Look, detective, there are matters at stake here that are a little bit above your pay grade. Det. Keith Frazier: Why don't you just tell the mayor to raise my pay grade to the right level? Problem solved.
  • Like 1

Do the Right Thing and Malcolm X. I just feel like both of those films are so fantastic, and yet most everything else I've seen from him has been okay at best.

if he only made those two, he would still be one of the best filmmakers.

The Katrina movies are moving and well done.

• Like 1