mattb1191

money folder

ok this is a really basic thing probably but im new to producing (especially with hardware), but how the hell did madlib do those drums on money folder off of madvillainy. those drums embody everything id want to do as a producer, and ive heard a bunch of information about what he used for the album but i keep hearing different things. and no i dont think if i get that equipment ill be able to make beats like madlib but id just like to know how he got that amazing sound on the drums.

That all has to do with the specific drums he used and how they were sequenced. (sonic sound and pattern) The drum pattern is basically two different segements. Either the drum break was already like that and he sampled it with the 303 or he chopped it up and did it with the SP1200. (That's my guess)

To me....

Money Folder's drums sound like a straight loop....

It sounds pretty repetitive....maybe 4 bars. Bar 1 and 2 sound the same.....3 and 4 are different.

I'm not listening to it right now but I know that drum beat well because I've studied it and everytime

I listen to the song....I tap it out to see if I can do it accurately throughout the song without messing up...

does anyone else do nerdy shit like that? lol.

• Like 2

i reckon he played them..... finding a break like that on a record would blow my mind... or make me blind, or something!! reckon he's played drums and looped/ chopped them on a few of his jawns -- he's got the ability to do it. why wouldn't he?

i reckon he played them..... finding a break like that on a record would blow my mind... or make me blind, or something!! reckon he's played drums and looped/ chopped them on a few of his jawns -- he's got the ability to do it. why wouldn't he?

yeah i know what you mean man those drums sound almost too good to have come accross them on some record, but i mean with all the digging madlib does i really wouldnt be surprised

some of my fav drums too. no idea where he got 'em. listen to theme for ivory black off sound directions--the compression and reverb sounds eerily similar

yea i just checked that out i see what you're saying

am no expert on how madlib records but in my opinion the drums sound a little too clean to be sample from a record, i agree with others that he mite have played them himself.

Wasn't the Money-Folder-Sample-Question discussed to death allready? At least on the old board I think.

Allthough I don't remember what it was...

Listening to the original could solve the question about how lib made the beat.

wtf is all this he played live drums on it? i SERIOUSLY doubt he played live drums on it

God please don't let this turn into an argument....because it seems like even the stupidest things get turned into an argument on this board but....i agree with shakey...

it's clearly a loop. "can you find drums that crisp and clean from a sample?"....sure you can.

"couldn't madlib just play the drums and loop himself" yes he could've but why? the song isn't that long so if that was the case, he could've just played the whole thing out since he said that sometimes he gets on the drums and plays for hours and hours.

bottom line....that song is one of my favorites off the album and it's dope whether he looped it or played it.

:mellow:

Guest Doom_Addikts225
God please don't let this turn into an argument....because it seems like even the stupidest things get turned into an argument on this board but....i agree with shakey...

it's clearly a loop. "can you find drums that crisp and clean from a sample?"....sure you can.

"couldn't madlib just play the drums and loop himself" yes he could've but why? the song isn't that long so if that was the case, he could've just played the whole thing out since he said that sometimes he gets on the drums and plays for hours and hours.

bottom line....that song is one of my favorites off the album and it's dope whether he looped it or played it.

:huh:

well said.

and we're done. :mellow:

glad i found this topic, i've been wondering this for some time

i know that Great Day is a YNQ beat because Madlib played the sample, but is it the same for Money Folder? the drums definitely have a crazy sound to them, like they may have been played live, and the main sample sounds like a sample, but i'm not sure, and then the jazz standard section very well sounds like a YNQ interlude or something

no reason for my interest, just something i find interesting

I am actually really intrigued now, can someone who knows someone ask them to ask him??

'Flipped it like madlib did an old jazz standard'

Does that mean sample flipping?!

God damn not knowing stuff

So, look like this thread never gets old. Listened to it today and I'm sure he sampled himself drumming (lucky with the mic setup and drum kit here) and then chopped it with the 303. The upright bass and synths is still a mystery too, but the synths definitely sounds like something he has done himself, plus the record is from the era when that B+ image of Madlib with the upright bass was published. I believe this whole beat was made w.o. using samples. Anyhow, I see some of u are discussing if it's loop. It's definitely not a loop as the reverb/duration of the different drum sounds are cut off. I think he recorded himself playing, then chopped the drums, even layered it. Same goes for the bassline.

Haha it's been almost ten years and no one has solved it. For what it's worth, I have recorded drums into the SP-808 (similar compression) and they way the drums hit sounds kinda similar to this beat.

I listen to the song....I tap it out to see if I can do it accurately throughout the song without messing up...

does anyone else do nerdy shit like that? lol.

YES … w/ every song, HAHHA

To me it has always sounded as his own live drums looped/reorganized. Would make sense since he's def playing the synth, not to mention the 'jazz standard' break.

I remember being similarly puzzled when listening Beat Konducta in Afirca, some mad drums on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he played the drums and sampled himself. And even if plays the drums forever when he plays them, whats not to say that he records the whole lot and then chops the best sections to reuse later on other tracks? Other cats have done that in the past like J-Zone and Damu The Fudgemunk.