fANTOM

New J DIlla album, The Diary

don't curse me out but I would have rather heard madlib rap over the beat as well :(

• Like 2

Listening to The Diary on Apple Music now. I really wish I hadn't listened to the bootleg forever ago… I feel like I'd appreciate the new vocal tracks way more if I hadn't. The 12-inch single releases prior to this projects consummation don't really help much either. I feel like most willing buyers, including myself, -- I've said this before -- are interested in the wax because of the backstory [significantly] more than anything. A lot of us have had these tracks for years… leaks suck, man. Still looking forward to hearing these tracks in full-effect, coming off the wax though!

Even after all these posthumous releases, and there's been a shit ton, there's gotta still be another few records the estate & whomever else (at this point it's a toss up) can license/ release… for better or worse. We've heard about The Pizza Man' others haven't heard about The Jay Dee Project, but I'd be surprised if those tracks weren't relea$ed at some point along w/ additional SV & Senepod demos/ outtakes; and The Album That Time Forgot (5ELA -- produced entirely by Jay Dee if I'm not mistaken)… I'm sure I'm missing others.

I have to say that it pains me to see ​Jay Love Japan getting re-released RIGHT after The Diary. Releasing those records within such close of a window seems counterproductive. What do you guys think? Whether or not we agree w/ these records being released/ re-released as they are is beside the point in this scenario. I feel like they've been rushing to move the catalog out, I don't get it…

investments in stocks, sewing up the blocks to sell rocks, winning gun-fights with mega cops

• Like 2

Wow, no Dilla verse on the 'Fight Club' track, seriously??!?!?! The fuck is this.... The one on the bootleg version was absolute heat.

oPX0kMF.jpg

The CD version comes with an iron on patch which is pretty cool.

I've listened to it a few times, digging the record but I wish there were no big name features and all the production was by Dilla. I gotta read the booklet to learn more about the CD, but I think I remember someone explaining why Dilla wanted to just rap and let others produce. I think he was at his best when rapping over his own beats, Welcome 2 Detroit is def my favorite release of his and one of my favorite rap albums. It's too bad that the Diary couldn't be a W2D part two. I gotta listen to this one a lot more though, it might grow on me. I didn't buy any of the 12" that came out before the release and I have not heard any of the bootlegs so that helped coming in pretty fresh (besides Fuck the Police and one other song I've heard somewhere before).

• Like 2

The CD version comes with an iron on patch which is pretty cool.

Definitely gotta salute Mass Appeal + Egon and company for the packaging… job well done. Nothing worse than anticipating a project, buying it, and being disappointed by the packaging.

UGGH is putting up their RSD exclusives for sale online tonight… 11 EST if I remember correctly. Just a head's up for everyone… mainly for those who aren't able to make it out to a shop today

Received my RSD copy in the mail yesterday. The packaging on the vinyl copy is great. In my experience, one of the best packages I've ever bought… round of applause for the folks at Mass Appeal and Pay Jay. I'll post pictures of the setup sometime soon for those who haven't gotten their hands on a physical yet.

My only thing is, for the RSD copy you're given a bonus 7" w/ one of the tracks that's already not the album –– why? Why not include one of the so-called bonus cuts on a 7"? That's the only critique I'd make of the packaging. Other than that, I'm proud to have paid for this. I imagine this being the last of the posthumous releases I'll pay for in the foreseeable future… WELL WORTH IT!!

LOVE how much a collaborative effort putting this project together and releasing it was. Seeing creatives of this caliber unite is the coolest, 1000%

Not Diary related, but damn I just found out about 5 Elementz :wacko:

Dunno how I missed this one, lots of good stuff here

• Like 2

^^ How's this possible?!! Better late than never though. Dilla made reference to them a handful of times throughout his career.

How do you like it? Out of all the Dilla projects that we've seen resurface, this is one that's gone grossly overlooked. I asked House Shoes –– my go-to for all things Dilla –– about who owns the masters to this record and even he didn't know. Some of the band members are still around. Maybe we should reach out and let 'em know some how we feel …

• Like 2

Ha, yeah I've only listened to it once now but it's really great. Seems like kinda that Slum Village era type sound but with dudes who rap better lol . This is something that deserves a re-release in my opinion, more people should know about this one I think. The title of the album is pretty funny since it seems like that's pretty much what it became.

• Like 2

One minute in and it is nothing short of genious.

• Like 3

Classic tape right there, I thought more people knew about it...

Not all tracks on there were produced by Dilla though.. unlike the title claims

However, there are some other tapes and loose tracks by 5 Ela,

These two were produced by Dilla and weren't on the album:

• Like 1

^^ not bad for $15. I imagine this will sell out pretty quickly and leave procrastinators like me shaking their heads at the inflated prices. Anything Egon cosigns I fxck w/ TBH. It's not just that he knows his shxt, but he seems to be one of the more virtuous label heads in the industry today.

I'd cop my copy right now but, again, shipping fees off Rappcats is steep, man … damn … + $7