Sev Seveer

STBB behind the beat/Weekly winner interview

...nice you guys are finding your way to the weekly winner interview again!..    

Really have to agree with Joa here, it's great reading them and def. a goal for me to be allowed to write one down one day as well!

• Like 1

ok here goes

1. Wanna tell us something about yourself?

I live & make hip hop in Austin, TX. Part of a collective called Hermit Kingdom. I make beats & videos, record artists at my home studio, and perform with HK. 

2. How did you make use of the sample?

I processed the sines with various effects from the SP404SX, then dropped em into Ableton Sampler, beefed up with a touch of saturation/overdrive & played them with my midi keyboard. as for the drums~

Kick - low sine with quick attack & release + overdrive for punch 

Snare - my 1 outside drum sample tee hee 

hats - pink noise pitched waay up, highpassed, with 0 attack & quick release. 

shaker - same as hats but with a medium attack 

percussion - the open drums from one of the provided samples, with HPF & reverb. the other 'non-synthesized' drum sound

3. How did you incorporate the rules?

I wanted the basis of the track to be purely crafted from the sine & noise tones. acapella & use of the non-synth samples were for textural layers.

4. How did you go about making the drums and drum programming?

see #2 for drum sound design. i almost always record drums by playing em live on pads, and making slight timing adjustments in midi afterwards as needed to achieve that neck-snapping swing 

5. What DAW and or equipment did you use?

ABLETON ARMY REPRESENT WOOP WOOP ~ i also have an SP404SX routed thru my interface, which I use extensively as an external effect within Ableton. Oh and a launchpad pro which is basically an extension of my arm at this point

6. Anything else you wanna add?

just that these battles are always a super fun creative exercise and a great excuse to flex my technique

• Like 1

Hi..JoaGymshoe.. from Rotterdam, The Netherlands.. born in '78.

uhm.. writing lyrics since the early nineties..beatmaking since around 2002.

I pitched some part that had pianokeys down and chopped them up.. that also had a bassline layered with/under...

I've always been a sucker for abstract piano melodies.

sampled a horn and used that played normally and reversed and made shorter stabs too creating a rythmic push and pull  effect.

the rule was to collaborate with someone.

I made the piano /bass and horns loop on saturday  with just a snare hit layered with a clap.

added an outside high note piano pling with a tingly trail.

found Detritus' collab request on stmb sunday morning and listened to his work.. I thought it had great potential

it was 90 bpm so I timestretched it to 82 bpm..  used the ( stand up ) bassline and the verby horns. which I added more reverbto later to get them more into the background.

over the following days he sent me the guitar picky sound used in the intro for instance..and another guitar lick which I cut up.

like mentioned I started off with the layered snare.. somewhere along the line I added the hat I had sampled off an earlier stbb sample .

and played that back and forth to create a sort of shaker effect. that already added enough swing to the drums which are otherwise on 'beat' ( quantize )

athough usually I move the drums around a lil' 

the kicks I made on tuesday I think.. also layered two or three to cover several frequencies

eq drums in certain frequencies to enhance their impact.. also sidechain snare to the whole of melodies bass.. the kicks a little less

did the structure/arrangement of everything on tuesday thought it would be cool to have some scratching on it...

I scowered youtube for a while and found the cuts I ended up using in a DMC mixing contest.. timestretched them and cut them up.

the lyrics I wrote during the whole process barring the first half of the first verse which came from my rhymediary.

recorded it all on the final arrangement on wednesday

and made some final adjustments.. finetuning, details like shortening some drumhits etc.

I use Cool Edit for chopping.. Reason 4 for creating and Cubase 5 for further edits, vocal recording and mixing.

I vary my formula from adding no compression, reverb, delay, panning and equing etc. in Reason to doing loads in Reason..

export every track seperately coz Rewire doesn't work.

Recall adding some compression on the whole in reason and already equing some nasty frequencies out in Reason this time.

so further equing, compressing, limiting, panning, stereo enhancing etc. was done in Cubase.

also duplicated and panned some sounds max left and right and adding minimal delay to one side or the other to create more space/ depth

Recorded one rap track and did the left and right backing/adlib track seperatly for nice stereo effect.. 

I think at about 1/3 of maximum width this time.. often go wider but that all depends on where the rest of the instruments are in the mix.

so rather close to the center this time added some reverb and delay..

used multiband on the whole of the vocals. and equed a lot lot lot!

equed the whole finished track.. limited and compressed.. 

but those are actually things that go on throughout the whole process..

learning what to listen for is a process of years for me..

also in the case of getting sounds in key..

but that's another story

I hope some of the techniques I explained come in handy for you.. might add more later if some pop up I forgot.

been doing these battles for over four years and haven't missed many..

made true friends and travelled the globe visiting some..

it truly has a major impact on my life and I've learned a lot both in music but also as a human being.

ego/validation is one thing that seems to go hand in hand with competition.

that's one of the things I'm still working on.

anywho..

love this intangible place called stmb..

here I find a release for craft, creativeness and emotions.. 

thanks D.T, for the nice collaboration

pz Joa

• Like 4

Why sure. Detritus is not my real name, it is Hugh. I live in the mountains outside of Asheville NC. I teach Robotics in a public middle school. I really enjoy being around students this age but not in a Roy Moore way. Way back in time I was a bass player in band but I am really a keyboard/computer fiend now. I have 2 children to keep me straight and an ex-wife to keep me poor. I love STBB and hb turned me on to it when he heard a track in which I had sampled Dilla and invited me. Now I never miss a week-nuff said. Oh yeah Pet peeve-people who don't vote. I know it takes time to listen but if at all possible please vote.

Well, I usually listen and pick out sections that sound tasty and slice to keyboard and adjust as needed. I also usually use some kind of crossfading of created loops as it open up combos I would not of thought of before but sometimes makes me sound a bit busy. I had posted some of my loops to the mb and Joa took it and ran with it. I also sent him some guitar loops which he used more artfully than I ever would have.

Well I got lucky and Joa took the bait for a collaboration. I wanted a Chicago theme but Joa took it and made it about The Elderly Brothers. I did get the guitar licks from Howlin' Wolf trying to get a little of the Chicago blues in there.

All Joa, thank Gawd.

Ableton -accept no substitutes. Actually it is never the DAW, it is the person using the DAW. Oh forgot to add I use an APC40/20 combo and usually perform my tracks as a live mix. It is my habit for everything I do.

I am humbled every week by the skill of everyone and all the different takes on the samples and theme. I enjoy Fridays when I get to listen to everyone's track and start putting names on my notepad. I make my top 3 choices before I see how others voted cause I do not want outside forces to sway my votes. Just wanted to say again-VOTE! Thanks STBB family. Peace, Hugh

• Like 5

I'm a Philadelphia resident who grew up in the mountains north of it.

I moved to Philly when I went to college for Illustration.  My portfolio site is https://supaflyart.me/

I used to spell my musician name as "Arturro" because I thought the misspelling would make it easier to Google, but I decided to give that up after I had already been on 3 separate Bandcamp album thingies and signed up for this site to do the beat battles. Whoops!

I took a part with some nice horns I could sample in some way, and then I dropped the right channel and made the left track Mono because that effectively took the drums out of the sample, giving me a much easier time messing with it and making use of the horns how I wanted.

For the parts where it gets all metal-sounding, I sped the track up double time and put a resonator on the sample and just kinda messed around with the settings til I got something I liked.

I wish I had EQ'd the higher pitches on the metal down.

I faked a little DJ intro and outro as well as an interview where I ask myself a question.

I have no creative capacity when it comes to drum patterns or anything like that so I gave something a shot and tried a drum look where the drums were super overblown but it sounded awful (naturally) and I almost gave up, but then I just tried a simple drum track and it worked when I finally found a snare I liked.

That was pretty much it, like I said, I have no creative capacity for drums.

I use Ableton Live with a couple vsts and a MIDI keyboard (with a broken power supply at the moment) and a guitar (that I need to buy an interface for so I can plug it into my computer).

I press buttons and sounds come out

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 18/12/2017 at 3:14 AM, Supafly Arturro said:

I press buttons and sounds come out

This made me laugh. :D

Congrats on the win. 

On 12/17/2017 at 9:14 PM, Supafly Arturro said:

I took a part with some nice horns I could sample in some way, and then I dropped the right channel and made the left track Mono because that effectively took the drums out of the sample, giving me a much easier time messing with it and making use of the horns how I wanted.

I love old recordings that you can split up like this. Nice, dude!

On 12/21/2017 at 8:20 PM, HUNGRYMAN said:

I love old recordings that you can split up like this. Nice, dude!

Same, they really are the most versatile songs to sample