mrvaughn

DOOM

The Redux features many of the star players from the original album, including Ice-T, Jean Grae, the late Guru, Planet Asia, Biz Markie, DOOM, EPMD’s Erick Sermon and Chubb Rock.

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.44863/title.prince-paul-announces-politics-of-the-business-revamp-with-lost-de-la-soul-single#

https://princepaul1.bandcamp.com/album/the-redux-free-pay-0-for-promotion-only

Someone elsewhere was asking how much Madvillain sold to date. I know that there is only initial sales figures available, but would also like to know this updated info 🤔

STBot are you able to provide that info at all?

Just finished listening to Bishop Nehru's Elevators. Overall a really great project. Think he's maybe come good on his early promise on this album.

DOOM production on point. 'Tazers' is a new beat and is great.  

'Again & Again' is an unused beat that I think might have been called Black Kings (but maybe not, maybe on 'Hidden Herbs'). But it been updated and added to, and made muuuch better. Great track again.

Potassium is a new production and works really well. I recognise the sample but it's been worked to where I can't really place it. 3/3 so for DOOM.

Rollercoasting. Reused production, can't remember the name but it's been on Masta Ace's Son of Yvonne. Didn't like what Ace did with it. Do like what Bishop did with it so I feel it works well here.

Rooftops as you know was released on a J.Rocc show a while back. Really like this track too.

Kaytradana tracks are all great as well. Overall feeling an 8.5 on this album. 31 mins long so pretty short. Less filler. Well done Bishop...I know you'll be lurking on these sites 👍

On 3/16/2018 at 1:13 PM, mrvaughn said:

Guy on Reddit has the vinyl of the Czarface record already. It's coming.

Damn I'm jealous. Wish the dude could rip/leak it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, imail724 said:

Damn I'm jealous. Wish the dude could rip/leak it.

Haha, yeah me too. Bit weird it seemed he'd only skimmed through it a bit. Couldn't even give a good sense of how decent it is. Although that has kinda added to the anticipation for me!

It's a bank holiday on the 30th anyway, so i'll have the whole day to listen to it a few times which is great 👍

Have to say that, while there are a couple of tracks I like, this is a disappointment as a project overall. Think DOOM has fallen off a bit, and that's said as a huge fan as you all know. Still my '99-'09 Goat though 🐐 Just gonna find it hard to get hype for future releases.

Too many re-releases and merchandise cash grabs, half hearted projects and lazy delivery in the past few years. He's kinda become the underground version of Uncle Snoop. Sad times 😔

4 hours ago, mrvaughn said:

Have to say that, while there are a couple of tracks I like, this is a disappointment as a project overall. Think DOOM has fallen off a bit, and that's said as a huge fan as you all know. Still my '99-'09 Goat though 🐐 Just gonna find it hard to get hype for future releases.

I can see DOOM's vocal performance contributing to this partially. His pronunciation can get really slurry and therefore sound messy.

I just found a better quality stream on YouTube than the one I was listening to on a website. Damn, it was a muuuch better listen. Think I might have spoken too soon. You might have been right Imail...I should have kept faith in the Vill 😂👍

I'm glad. I saw both you and Mach very pleased with it and wondered what it was I wasn't hearing.

8 hours ago, mrvaughn said:

Think I might have spoken too soon...

Based on experience, I think you have to give any new record a few spins before opining. I remember I'm pretty sure it was on these here boards people saying "what is this?" when Born Like This first dropped. Everyone talks about instant classics, but there is a lot that comes out of multiple listens...

That being said, I've only listened to a few tracks off the record and I am digging them a lot so far. On my way out now to hear it complete with headphones.

Yeah nervous that's my usual stance as well. Just felt a bit disappointed on first couple listens to the poor stream. Still feel he's lost a step overall. Can't expect perfection though I guess, it's unrealistic.

7 hours ago, mrvaughn said:

Yeah nervous that's my usual stance as well. Just felt a bit disappointed on first couple listens to the poor stream. Still feel he's lost a step overall. Can't expect perfection though I guess, it's unrealistic.

He'll never be the same '03-'06 DOOM we all love and hold to such high esteem. But for a project coming out essentially 15 years past his prime, I'd say its better than any of us could hope for. Plus Esoteric is probably my second or third favorite rapper, so that helps. Still doesn't quite satisfy my craving for a new full-length solo DOOM record though. Hope that's in the pipeline (VV3 please!)

Yeah agreed. Re: VV3, I'd actually quite like a Dabrye produced Vik album. I feel Dab has shown he's still got it recently and would be a good pairing for a full length. Lil Mufukaz was a great surprise. In fact that was like a couple of '03-'06 DOOM verses.

1 hour ago, mrvaughn said:

Yeah agreed. Re: VV3, I'd actually quite like a Dabrye produced Vik album. I feel Dab has shown he's still got it recently and would be a good pairing for a full length. Lil Mufukaz was a great surprise. In fact that was like a couple of '03-'06 DOOM verses.

Yeah Lil Mufukaz is tight. I always thought El-P would be a good match for a Vik record. But, older, more dialed-back El-P, not RTJ, party El-P. If that makes sense. Cold Vein El-P.

wasn't even much looking forward to this release, but it's actually a pretty great listen. a couple throwaway tracks, but overall very good production, good skits, nice to see that fun side of DOOM again. Everybody's really on point. I dunno what you guys are talking about, DOOM's crushing it as ever. He's a little laid back, but I think most of his verses are top shelf DOOM. plus he actually sounds LESS marble-mouthed to me  (I was getting a little concerned he was going down that ODB mush mouth route) Some nice long verses too. He's just not showing off like on a DOOM solo record. Admittedly he inexplicably kinda loses the spotlight on Phantoms to Open Mike Eagle. For someone with pretty low expectations, gotta say I was pretty impressed with the finished product

• Like 1

This album keep steadily getting better for me. Prob now up to an 8/10 from being a 5/10, lol.

Overall just a very strong project. DOOM verses clearing up a little after reading some lyrics while I’ve had the tracks on (which means that I won’t have to read them again, as once I’ve heard clearly I can’t unhear again 👍)

One issue I did have was the fact the end of the album kinda loses thematic steam...Stun Gun is great, but just seemed a waste and out of place with no DOOM verse...and then Capt. Brunch is a great beat so it’s kinda wasted by re-use of vocals.

I realised that Stun Gun is perfect the way it is as it’s a call back to Fazers “Rule number 1; Keep your Fazers on stun”. So DOOM’s speaking to Eso, telling him that he’ll get himself hurt not having his gun set to ‘stun’ makes perfect sense.

Capt. Brunch beat may have been meant to have original lyrics but I saw that this album was put together up until the time that DOOM’s boy passed away, so I wonder if there was no availability for DOOM to give over any more material and it just made sense at that point to make a ‘remix’ track to pad out the run time a little.

Anyway...great album. I’m really pleased with it. Which is a welcome turn around. While not comparing in terms of quality, I do get DangerDOOM vibes from this, both in terms of tone and some of the instrumentals (some at the start of the record seem particularly like the back end of DD).

On 3/22/2018 at 7:10 AM, imail724 said:

He'll never be the same '03-'06 DOOM we all love and hold to such high esteem. But for a project coming out essentially 15 years past his prime, I'd say its better than any of us could hope for. Plus Esoteric is probably my second or third favorite rapper, so that helps. Still doesn't quite satisfy my craving for a new full-length solo DOOM record though. Hope that's in the pipeline (VV3 please!)

Most still here are riding under that dream era hypnotic delusion

Wake up fashionxcore, change your shirt, check your neck

On 3/31/2018 at 4:50 AM, mrvaughn said:

This album keep steadily getting better for me. Prob now up to an 8/10 from being a 5/10, lol.

Overall just a very strong project. DOOM verses clearing up a little after reading some lyrics while I’ve had the tracks on (which means that I won’t have to read them again, as once I’ve heard clearly I can’t unhear again 👍)

One issue I did have was the fact the end of the album kinda loses thematic steam...Stun Gun is great, but just seemed a waste and out of place with no DOOM verse...and then Capt. Brunch is a great beat so it’s kinda wasted by re-use of vocals.

I realised that Stun Gun is perfect the way it is as it’s a call back to Fazers “Rule number 1; Keep your Fazers on stun”. So DOOM’s speaking to Eso, telling him that he’ll get himself hurt not having his gun set to ‘stun’ makes perfect sense.

Capt. Brunch beat may have been meant to have original lyrics but I saw that this album was put together up until the time that DOOM’s boy passed away, so I wonder if there was no availability for DOOM to give over any more material and it just made sense at that point to make a ‘remix’ track to pad out the run time a little.

Anyway...great album. I’m really pleased with it. Which is a welcome turn around. While not comparing in terms of quality, I do get DangerDOOM vibes from this, both in terms of tone and some of the instrumentals (some at the start of the record seem particularly like the back end of DD).

Knew you'd come around, my man. Proud of you!

Listened to the leak a ton of time leading up to the release date and since getting the vinyl on Friday I haven't stopped spinning it. I liked it a lot at first, but it grew on me too. I can easily say I love the album now.

• Thanks 1