TKurata

Beat Battles RULES/FAQ - PLEASE READ FIRST

Feels good to be back; I felt like a Hobo with a Hot dog and a lighter before now I got a can of beans and a soda pop.

• Like 3

I had a quick chat with some members about other possible rules / suggestions that we could implement to enhance the battles further.
I thought it best to make a thread for all of these suggestions to be added to, discussed and potentially implemented.

Feel free to add your own suggestions, comment on others and discuss ideas…

I'll update this post as we get more suggestions in :)

1: Sample Length

1. Sample Length Limit

I’m not opposed to having multiple samples or ‘sample packs’ if there is a legitimate reason for them. eg: Use 1,2 or 3 of the samples in your beat… 

…recently however, it just seems the norm to give people 5 or 6 different tracks to pick from.

To me, this often means that the entries are so different, you don’t know that they are from the same battle week and as such aren’t comparable.

I really like it when we used to have a single track and having to hunt for the perfect section to sample, that nobody else has flipped, rather than being given enough samples for an entire beat tape :P

Any thoughts?

• Like 3

Yeah.. it's been a while since we had a single track to flip... it's dope..  if it's a cool track...

I really like the diversity actually..  sample packs / total packs with drums /  theme packs like the Zombie pack etc.  

have yielded amazing results...

and flipping just the one track every week will get just as monotonous..  we had that too in the past..

so 1 tracks sample or pack are equally as attractive als long as it's not the same for stretched periods of time

it has always been the winner's prerogative though..  and limiting that creativity seems a shame..

sample length limit and flipping just the one track are two different things though right?

I'd like to say we keep eachother sharp on sample and rule variation..

this thread will definately stimulate that

Edited by JoaGymshoe
clarified pov

11 minutes ago, JoaGymshoe said:

I really like the diversity actually..  sample packs / total packs with drums /  theme packs like the Zombie pack etc.  have yielded amazing results...

I agree that it does work sometimes when theres a theme, like a track, some zombie noises and drums etc

it has always been the winner's prerogative though..  and limiting that creativity seems a shame..

I agree that it is up to the winner for the samples and rules too, however with a lot of new faces recently, I wouldn't want people to think that providing multiple samples was mandatory - as I mentioned I like to think theres a reason behind it (might just be me!)

I'd like to say we keep eachother sharp on sample and rule variation..

this thread will definately stimulate that

Thats the ultimate goal, to discuss with the community and keep things fresh.

Oh, it seems now that the spoken Winner's Announcement for STBBC has lost it's function...   as STMB is back online

it is harder to get people to make one...

I've left the suggestion to do one in the vote thread rthough..

it is a bit of a logistical chore to get this done on a saturday morning..  but I know it is appreciated by a lotta members..

so Winner's of the future.. feel free to pour some creativity intro it...

check some previous ones out if you want: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5XVT said:

...I really like it when we used to have a single track and having to hunt for the perfect section to sample, that nobody else has flipped, rather than being given enough samples for an entire beat tape :P

Any thoughts?

I like the variation and randomness that comes with the winner picking the rules and sample, it's a reward and privilege  for the winner to enjoy.  

It's a fundamental and has worked for years so I don't see why we'd change it.  If anything I would have thought that having the winner deciding allows for the battle to evolve naturally.  Right now we are in a period of a bunch of samples, next battle that might change.  Still got to make something dope. 

There are other battles out there that have a stricter format, I just feel like Stones Throw is a diverse label and the battle hosted here should reflect that.  My feeling is that restricting choice doesn't accomplish that.    

I could be way off the mark as far as the majority of opinions go but that's what I think... 

• Like 1

First I want to thank everyone behind the scenes that makes this happen every week. much appreciated.

I think the spoken announcement is cool and gives a lot of personality to the rules. B)

I'm someone that is really busy but try my best to submit something and at a minimum, to also listen to and vote. I think the "must vote to win" seems to be hit and miss as to whether it applies. I haven't gone though and checked but surely when there are 40+ submissions it can't be that people are winning on 3 votes :-s I think the new 1st, 2nd,3rd vote is a really good move to sort that though B)

From the busyness point of view and creativity I would agree with the multiple samples. I think its a bit excessive to have lots of tracks and as 5XVT says, it makes it much less of 'whats the best someone do on the flip' - surely the whole thing should be about those skills in the flip? Otherwise it might as well be submit anything you have made on a weekly basis! For me, the rules each week, make the creativity. This week's live bass was really cool to hear from everyone.

I also agree on the new members comment. It might be an idea to give some examples of past rules so we can get away from the obvious "must use at least one of the samples" type things.

Love the work from everyone - keep it cool

L

Yow beat bros.

The mods have had a talk about the goings on on the forum

and have come to the conclusion that the new voting system is too laborious and impractical for us to manage.

it was cool, but we're reverting to the way that has been going for the last 10 years.

pick a winner only, of course you can still list your top threes or top tens etc. as you please.

Also we wanna encourage you all to feel free to -add up the votes

-start the vote thread ( copying the fixed text obviously )

and -point out stuff you see needs pointing out

This forum has always been run by the participants.

the STBBCollection and the forum are two different entities. we are mods of STBBC ..and longstanding members of STBB/STMB.

on here we we can can offer our insight and experience.. but we want the forum to run somewhat more autonimously.

that's it,  if you have questions, ask'em

pz Joa

moderators are in the profile description of  stbbcollection

• Like 1

..okay.. to continue where the votethread left off...

for me it wasn't necessarilly counting the votes and filling them in etc..

but having the responsibillity to make sure it got done.. even if I didn't /don't have reposting duty etc I'm still checking to see if stuff got done...

I chose to start STBBC and take responsibillity for it.. this voting system is too much for me also oversee...

it's taking too big a toll on my personal life..  

I guess it's time for me to take a little step back and let others be responsible...

a poll to see how peeps think on the voting system now would be interesting..

but I wanna add : the consequence of voting Yes.. should be  you also wanna take part in the actual counting..

In any case..I'm leaving the organisational side to someone else..

think it's good it got brought to a head like this

I'm happy to see you guys are speaking up and out.. 

• Like 1

I am of course no regular here (yet:)) but with google forms you could create a voting system quite easily plus you´d have the data in an easily crunchable format already.  You´d need a way to prevent vote-tampering tho. something like unique IDs for every forum account or something.

7 minutes ago, syncope said:

I am of course no regular here (yet:)) but with google forms you could create a voting system quite easily plus you´d have the data in an easily crunchable format already.  You´d need a way to prevent vote-tampering tho. something like unique IDs for every forum account or something.

I think this ideas has been discussed before.  

We'd be getting into the realms of everybody that battles needs three accounts just to take part and has to visit three sites to cast a vote.  

Voting on the board is simple, and proven.  Tried and tested on the board for over ten years. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soul-Jutsu said:

I think this ideas has been discussed before.  

We'd be getting into the realms of everybody that battles needs three accounts just to take part and has to visit three sites to cast a vote.  

Voting on the board is simple, and proven.  Tried and tested on the board for over ten years. 

yeah, I get that, thats not feasible... maybe there is a voting solution for the forum software itself?

On 23.3.2017 at 8:51 PM, DJLoDY said:

I think its a bit excessive to have lots of tracks and as 5XVT says, it makes it much less of 'whats the best someone do on the flip'

agreed. I would appreciate if only one sample was give, because of the exact same reason. Multiople samples are okay imo, however only if you have to use them all..

45 minutes ago, JoaGymshoe said:

..I'm leaving the organisational side to someone else..

I could do the counting.
However there is one problem:
Deadline is 8AM in Vienna on a saturday... I'm not willing to give up my sleep for the Battle each and every week. I could do it every second week or something like this.

Just now, Per.du said:

agreed. I would appreciate if only one sample was give, because of the exact same reason. Multiople samples are okay imo, however only if you have to use them all..

I could do the counting.
However there are two problems:
Deadline is 8AM in Vienna on a saturday... I'm not willing to give up my sleep for the Battle each and every week. I could do it every second week or something like this.

The thing is, this shouldn't fall to one person.

First person that rocks up to the board after the voting deadline should be able to get the job done.  

Wanna battle? Get it started... All members. 

• Like 2

This might be an option to keep the ranked voting that is under discussion

www.pollandmatch.com/

How to:

Create one account for STBB.

Mod or week winner add participants that submitted an entry on thursday.

All vote:

Vote registers Name and e-mail (just use a fake e-mail but your real name) so we know who voted

Worth testing?

30 minutes ago, BarryStudebaker said:

Create one account for STBB.

All vote:

Vote registers Name and e-mail (just use a fake e-mail but your real name) so we know who voted

Worth testing?

Sounds a lot like what Syncope mentioned before.  Three accounts for one battle. :blink:

Do people not like the tradition of voting on the board?  A simple count. :huh:

There must be others that think this ought to be kept simple?  

23 minutes ago, Soul-Jutsu said:

Sounds a lot like what Syncope mentioned before.  Three accounts for one battle. :blink:

Do people not like the tradition of voting on the board?  A simple count. :huh:

There must be others that think this ought to be kept simple?  

+1 on that.

why not urge everbody who votes to NOT use crazy formating, but only post the 1-3 places. or if you wish to do some funky formatting, maybe do a clear version at the end.
Making it easier to read while scrolling through would avoid mistakes and that way at least keep the counting simpler ?

2 minutes ago, Per.du said:

+1 on that.

why not urge everbody who votes to NOT use crazy formating, but only post the 1-3 places. or if you wish to do some funky formatting, maybe do a clear version at the end.
Making it easier to read while scrolling through would avoid mistakes and that way at least keep the counting simpler ?

That hasn't been a problem for over 500 battles.  

Not sure why it would be one now...

Besides, the new forum has pretty much done away with the fun fonts.  

I think it would be ridiculous to outsource the vote to another site.  

We may as well call it the stones throw google docs beat battle if we're gonna do that.  

The STBBC guys do more than enough with the re-posting on the playlist so why they would volunteer for more I don't know.  

For the winner to be responsible for inputting all the entrants names and managing the whole vote...  Sounds more like a punishment to me. 

• Like 1

Wouldnt see it as outsourcing but more as using available technology...would be great if it could be in the header of the topic... managing the whole vote?? It s automatic and realtime...not much too manage..the site posted might not be it but the concept would work...as the 539 vote thread shows..many people support the top 3 voting system..so let s look for the best way to facilitate...p.s.the reposting is awesome and stbbc rules!! 

3 hours ago, BarryStudebaker said:

you guys don't seem to realise the work that goes into letting things run smoothly coz it's always been done and arranged...
hours of talk has gone into stuff that you take for granted..  
contacting winners to get certain info in the topic starts etc. etc.

to respond to your posts...
who will add the participants to the site?..  not mods.. and can't burden winners..
who will set up the site.. does it calculate.. 5 points for 1st place..3 for 2nd etc..
who will contact the winner to put that info in the Sample Start Topic...
who contacts the winner when he leaves it out for some reason..
does it go in the Vote Start too?.. who's gonna do the Vote Start from now on?
what happens to the Vote Thread?... DEAD?
who's gonna notify ST Bot of the change of the voting location.. does ST have an opinion?
there's tradition here..  10 years...
only way this 123 vote could realistically happen is peeps just count with pen and pad..
or 5XVT's  spreadheet gets utilised responsibly....   you fill in the place and it calculates the points automatically btw...

Okay.. so here's what we can do.. there were already some volunteers.. 
Let's decide on 1 new counting moderator we can go to for questions etc..
he has the main responsibility and a schedule or so for the other counting mod volunteers..
5XVT made his spreadsheet available for them to use..

so yeah.. who's up for it..  per.du  and supafly arturo so far right?

527_vote.png

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BarryStudebaker said:

Wouldnt see it as outsourcing but more as using available technology...would be great if it could be in the header of the topic... managing the whole vote?? It s automatic and realtime...not much too manage..the site posted might not be it but the concept would work...as the 539 vote thread shows..many people support the top 3 voting system..so let s look for the best way to facilitate...p.s.the reposting is awesome and stbbc rules!! 

Hey Barry, 

In case you didn't noticed I'm a strong believer in the vote staying on the site here! :D 

To all involved in this convo, please don't see anything that I have to say here as disrespectful.  We're all entitled to our opinions, and I'm not mad at anybody for voicing theirs, whichever way we go with it and even if I disagree with it...  

Your right, there was a large percentage voted for the multi vote system.  How many bothered to count once it was put in place, or lift a finger at all to see it implemented.  Not many. 

Personally, I really just don't think voting off forum is in the spirit of the battle.  We could host it anywhere, but this is it's home.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoaGymshoe said:

who will set up the site.. does it calculate.. 5 points for 1st place..3 for 2nd etc..

I volunteer to do most of the Voting and counting stuff every friday night (GMT+1). however its very early in the morning on Saturday when the vote finishes. and i can't and won't sacrifice my sleep :P
So I need someone to finish it... maybe somebody who lives in a better timezone for this?

I think one vote is fine and dandy and really in keeping with the battle idea but I am cool with whatever and can help in anyway the battle needs. You can still give shout outs in the vote and comments on the track. Maybe make the vote at the top so it is easier for the counter is a good idea. Without rules there would be nothing worth breaking.

• Like 1

Yeah, as mentioned in the other thread, I'm willing to help out with the vote count now that I'm back in the game.  I can't promise I will be able to do final tally considering that concludes 3AM for me, but often I am up that late, and if I am I'll do the final tally and stuff.

I think our best bet is to have a Google Doc with 5XVT's template that people who are trustworthy and have accepted the duty as vote counters have access to.

If that's the route we go then we should have a box somewhere that includes what post number in the voting thread the votes have been tallied up to so far. That way somebody could see that, say, up to post 14 has been tallied, but there are 21 posts in the thread, so they can update the numbers then real quick.

I dunno how we go about informing the winners and how threads and all that stuff get set up but I'm willing to learn so I can do my part if I'm ever in the position to.

Pen and pencil work alright as well.

Shit I would have helped count this week's as well but I got myself mixed up and forgot that it was ending last night. My bad!

just fyi - Barry, Supafly and I do the counting now (thx guys!)

• Like 1